Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

r53 - confirm timing is right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 06:15 AM
twilightprotege
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r53 - confirm timing is right?

hi, new to this forum. just bought an R53 park lane edition hatch for my GF from an auction and it's having a few little issues. nothing major i hope, but niggling problems.

from my investigations i think at some point the head was taken off, probably head gasket, and then put back together.

but the car is still running a bit weird.

other than taking off the head cover and the lower engine cover/oil pump thing, is there a way to confirm the timing has been done right?

when i put the engine at all cylinders even (so halfway between TDC and BDC) i can get the single copper link in the chain to be at the arrow on the cam gear. i think that's correct but can anyone confirm? thanks!

Old 06-15-2017, 12:54 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
TDC:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...enter-tdc.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-15-2017, 04:44 PM
twilightprotege
Neutral
i know how to find tdc - i'm wanting to confirm the timing is correct. as waymotorworks says in that thread, "FYI, MINI doesn't use TDC to time the motor. When all the timing marks are lined up all 4 pistons will be even."

so i'm to confirm the engine is lined up correctly from what i described

Old 06-16-2017, 06:18 PM
RUPNOK
3rd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If the arrow on the cam gear is at 12'oclock relative to the head and the spark plugs are out, you can put straws in to the spark plug tubes and they all should be level. The cooper link is just for installing a new timing chain.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:35 PM
cjjca
1st Gear
There is also marks on crank gear/ timing chain link that have to be lined up when the cam mark/ timing chain link is lined up.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:31 AM
twilightprotege
Neutral
rupnok - that's what i thought. i have the arrow straight up (also on the single copper coloured chain link) when the engine is between TDC and BDC. basically the top half of the cam gear (line you could say) is even with the head

cjjca - i was aware of that way of checking, but i was hoping not to take the timing cover off to check that