Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Engine Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:45 PM
Whyismyhaironfire
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Oil Leak

Hey guys, so I was checking my oil level the other day and I was shocked to see the dipstick completely dry. I check the oil every couple of weeks at least and it has never burned any oil so this is completely abnormal for me.

So I got under the car and noticed some oil covering a few parts underneath the engine. I've only had this car for about 3 months, so I still don't know too much about these. I did, however, notice the turbo oil feed line can be pulled about a 1/4 inch away from it's housing. Not sure if that's the problem, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I took some photos of the oily areas and the turbo oil feed line and am gonna post them here. Car is a 2007 Mini Copper S manual transmission with 83 00 kms.

I appreciate any help or advice you guys could give me, I don't mind doing the work myself, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

Thanks

Old 06-15-2017, 02:07 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh, man. A new one should not move easily at all. That line is toast. I recommend you do it yourself and do the oil filter adapter seals at the same time. You might as well replace the turbo oil return line while you are at it. They are all accessible once you remove the heat shielding and the catalytic converter. I installed a WMW turbo wrap and wrapped my new line with heat shielding cloth and tape. Good luck.
WMW Turbo Wrap and heat shielding cloth and tape on line.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:10 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Thought some shielding was missing... looked wrong. That is a typical leak.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Whyismyhaironfire
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sikamini

Oh, man. A new one should not move easily at all. That line is toast. I recommend you do it yourself and do the oil filter adapter seals at the same time. You might as well replace the turbo oil return line while you are at it. They are all accessible once you remove the heat shielding and the catalytic converter. I installed a WMW turbo wrap and wrapped my new line with heat shielding cloth and tape. Good luck.
WMW Turbo Wrap and heat shielding cloth and tape on line.
Thanks for the info, I'll start looking into it right away!

Old 06-15-2017, 04:59 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
It's not really hard. If you don't have a repair manual, Bentley covers most thing adequately and what it doesn't one can ask. Essentially you'll lift up the MINI. Remove heat shields, O2 sensors, catalytic converter, the turbo support bracket, heat shield at engine, and a few hoses. Then everything should be exposed. The oil filter adapter has a few bolts that are hard to see, but it's easy just take your time. If your slow like me, it's an easy weekend job. Just get parts in advance, gaskets and any single use bolts or nuts that the job may have. Draining fluids for the adapter gasket job is a bit of a mess, but not too bad.

The following users liked this post:
Whyismyhaironfire (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 07:19 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Your first pic for sure shows the turbo oil line leaking.
We would replace it with our stainless turbo line kit
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-st...-line-kit.html

While your doing that we would also recommend going ahead and doing the oil filter housing gaskets
https://www.waymotorworks.com/oil-co...9-r60-r61.html
https://www.waymotorworks.com/oil-fi...9-r60-r61.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more