Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Poly Bushing Inserts vs OEM Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 12:16 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Poly Bushing Inserts vs OEM Replacement

Looking at renewing my motor mount since I just ticked over the 100k, but honesty they're probably long over due. There is no visible tearing on any of them so I had planned on doing poly inserts to stiffen things up a bit but it got me thinking that if they are indeed worn out, regardless of appearance, it would make more sense to replace the mounts themselves first and possibly add inserts down the road if needed. Looking at it as a polished turd is still a turd I guess.

So I suppose I'm looking for input from anyone who just went with the inserts and how they performed with worn out mounts versus those who just did a OEM rubber mount renew and how that felt.

The car is daily driven with auto-x done once a month at most if that helps with relevance to your driving situation and giving feedback. NVH isn't a huge deal so I'm more so looking at the cost effectiveness of each solution.

I tend to way over think these things so if any of this is confusing just let me know and I will clarify.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:52 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Poly you might get a little more feedback through the car but for shifting it can improve things. One of the best things is you will not have to do the job again. Should reduce the chance of the inside one cracking out as less movement and it will protect it from the weather a bit as that can age the rubber.

That's my thought on it.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-15-2017, 02:11 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
So you're on the get new OEM bushings and poly later side if I'm not mistaken? Honestly the improvement in shifting is the end goal so I would ask which bushings in particular make a difference there? The transmission support mount seems to be the main one but I've also seen people mention the bottom motor mount also makes a drastic difference in shift smoothness.

No one ever seems to mention the flat bushings on either side of the transmission support either which I find odd since it seems to keep everything snug from what I can see.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ol' Blue
...So I suppose I'm looking for input from anyone who just went with the inserts and how they performed with worn out mounts versus those who just did a OEM rubber mount renew and how that felt.

The car is daily driven ...NVH isn't a huge deal ...I tend to way over think these things so if any of this is confusing just let me know and I will clarify.
The reason that Mini or any other car company doesn't go with poly bushings from the factory is cost. Anyone replacing OEM bushings with OEM is destine to have to do the job again. And it's a big job on our Minis to do the LCAs.

Go poly. Labor is the same. You won't feel the difference and you won't have to do the job again ever.

///Rich

Old 06-15-2017, 07:03 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Since you have an 03 if the pass side mounts haven't been replaced you likely need them as they get short as they get old and ruin the other mounts.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-en...4-r50-r53.html

Also the one on the strut tower will crack from it getting short
https://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-up...3-r50-r53.html

So I'd just start with them, the trans mounts are actually really reliable and rarely need replaced.
But we do recommend the powerflex gearbox bushing inserts to reduce rock without making a bunch of NVH and keeping cost down.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/gear-b...yurethane.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-15-2017, 07:26 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
I have poly LCA bushings already, did that one a while back. This question is referring to the engine/transmission mounts. Other than the lower mount all of the other poly options are inserts rather than solid mount so that's why I ask.

And I'm doing the work myself so no issues with labor either way.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:35 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Thanks WMW, I was curious about the pass side mount since it looks fine but I see from the picture how they get shorter. That's good to hear about the trans mount being fine and just needing inserts so that'll be easier I suppose. What about the flat inserts on either side of the trans mount? No one ever seems to mention them but they're rubber just the same.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:05 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Thanks WMW, I was curious about the pass side mount since it looks fine but I see from the picture how they get shorter. That's good to hear about the trans mount being fine and just needing inserts so that'll be easier I suppose. What about the flat inserts on either side of the trans mount? No one ever seems to mention them but they're rubber just the same.
The powerflex gearbox bushing inserts replace the flat rubbers on the trans mount.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-15-2017, 08:19 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Again, makes sense, thanks.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:27 AM
db21637
1st Gear
No one ever seems to mention the flat bushings on either side of the transmission support either which I find odd since it seems to keep everything snug from what I can see.
Anyone know where can these be purchased? I misplaced one during a transmission replacement.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:40 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by db21637
Anyone know where can these be purchased? I misplaced one during a transmission replacement.
This is the gearbox bushings that insert and go on the sides
https://www.waymotorworks.com/gear-b...yurethane.html

Old 04-20-2018, 05:23 AM
db21637
1st Gear
Thank you WMW, part ordered.

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (04-20-2018)