Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Problems starting up

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 11:00 PM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Problems starting up

Alright guys and gals,

i have a problem with my 2007 r56 MCS (N14). Every morning, without fail, my mini has problems starting up. By problems, I mean; when I start the ignition, it starts up, and then 1 second later it sputters and "stalls" and just shuts off. Sometimes it only takes 2 times, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 before the engine actually stays on. Once it stays on it operates as normal throughout the rest of the day. Minus when I first pull out of my driveway, when it kind of sputters to get going, then is fine. I ONLY ever have this problem after the car has been sitting for 7+ hours. I've changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, battery is fine, and alternator is fine. The only other things I think it could be are the HPFP or the injectors. Possibly carbon buildup? I'm hoping one of you gurus on here could give some insight! Thanks in advance!

Tyler

Old 06-19-2017, 07:55 PM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
bump PLEASE HELP

Old 06-19-2017, 08:17 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
I have an N18, but judging by the number of carbon buildup issues on the N14, I would personally start there. Are there any warning lights like check engine, or reduced power? If so, you will need to read the codes, go from there. I am hoping one of the N14 guru's jump on this!

Old 06-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
If you don't have an OBDII reader for codes, head on over to autoparts store, many will read codes for free. Might answer the question with that info.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:30 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have similar problems (which I posted in another thread). Apart from the standard OBD tools, shouldn't the rail pressure be readable somewhere in INPA or Tool32?

I've gone through the functions in Tool32 for MED172, but the only think I can find is a function to turn the low pressure pump on and off. There must be a function which reads the rail pressures somewhere if standard OBD2 readers can get the info...

Old 06-20-2017, 05:45 AM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by alexs3d2
I have similar problems (which I posted in another thread). Apart from the standard OBD tools, shouldn't the rail pressure be readable somewhere in INPA or Tool32?

I've gone through the functions in Tool32 for MED172, but the only think I can find is a function to turn the low pressure pump on and off. There must be a function which reads the rail pressures somewhere if standard OBD2 readers can get the info...
Sometimes (not every time) I'll get one or multiple misfire codes popping up, but once I clear them the car runs perfectly fine until it sits again for a long period of time. Also, what is this talk about rail pressure? lol I'm not familiar with that. Thanks for the replies guys!

Tyler

Old 06-20-2017, 05:53 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had that years ago. Unfortunately I don't recall exactly what it was. HPFP, battery or carbon build up. Get the codes read. It's a solvable issue.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:55 AM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
I had that years ago. Unfortunately I don't recall exactly what it was. HPFP, battery or carbon build up. Get the codes read. It's a solvable issue.
oh man I hope it's not the HPFP! That's a really expensive fix......

Old 06-20-2017, 05:56 AM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
If you don't have an OBDII reader for codes, head on over to autoparts store, many will read codes for free. Might answer the question with that info.
only codes I have read are misfire codes, but I only have a basic OBDII reader. Maybe there are "hidden" codes I'm not able to read?

Old 06-20-2017, 07:02 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ShadyCoop
only codes I have read are misfire codes, but I only have a basic OBDII reader. Maybe there are "hidden" codes I'm not able to read?
Yes, I had the misfires at that time as well. Go have MINI read it if at all possible. I think I eventually got the 2880 high pressure fuel pump error. Unfortunately my memory is waking up and I believe it was the HPFP.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:50 AM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
Yes, I had the misfires at that time as well. Go have MINI read it if at all possible. I think I eventually got the 2880 high pressure fuel pump error. Unfortunately my memory is waking up and I believe it was the HPFP.
Oh no!!! Yeah I think I'm gonna be taking it into my Mini specialized mechanic within the week. I'll update as soon as he diagnoses it. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2017, 08:15 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Oh no!!! Yeah I think I'm gonna be taking it into my Mini specialized mechanic within the week. I'll update as soon as he diagnoses it. Thanks!
Mine was covered under a recall. If yours was never replaced you might get them to do it as a recall item. Don't recall if there was a time limit, but still worth trying to push for.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:16 AM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
Mine was covered under a recall. If yours was never replaced you might get them to do it as a recall item. Don't recall if there was a time limit, but still worth trying to push for.
Fingers crossed! Thanks for the tip

Old 06-20-2017, 08:26 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Mine was acting up weeks perhaps a few months before giving the actual HPFP error code. The dealer rep said that was critical to get it replaced under the warranty. If it turns out to be the pump, check with the dealer service department. If they will cover it and the code needs to be present drive it until it appears. It will eventually.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:29 AM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
Mine was acting up weeks perhaps a few months before giving the actual HPFP error code. The dealer rep said that was critical to get it replaced under the warranty. If it turns out to be the pump, check with the dealer service department. If they will cover it and the code needs to be present drive it until it appears. It will eventually.
i hate that dealerships work that way, if the problem is there than it's there....they always need codes....this problem started happening completely randomly, and it's pretty consistent. Doesn't seem to be getting worse.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:37 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
i hate that dealerships work that way, if the problem is there than it's there....they always need codes....this problem started happening completely randomly, and it's pretty consistent. Doesn't seem to be getting worse.
If it's the pump it will. Unfortunately modern car repair relies on codes. I guess if the code isn't there MINI won't be able to go to the part supplier and complain about a defective part.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:41 AM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
If it's the pump it will. Unfortunately modern car repair relies on codes. I guess if the code isn't there MINI won't be able to go to the part supplier and complain about a defective part.
that does make sense. Seems these N14s are always throwing codes anyways

Old 06-20-2017, 08:44 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
that does make sense. Seems these N14s are always throwing codes anyways
Some worse than others. Don't pay for anything you don't have to. Hope you get it resolved soon.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:47 AM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
Some worse than others. Don't pay for anything you don't have to. Hope you get it resolved soon.
Thanks for the help. Hopefully I'll have an update soon

Old 06-20-2017, 12:12 PM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Rail pressure is the pressure on the common rail between the injectors and the HPFP That is about 200 bars? but may vary based on engine load. There is also pressure between the low pressure pump in the tank and the HPFP, which is about 5 bars. The problem with diagnosing the HPFP is that if you cut the fuel supply at the low pressure pump level, it will obviously cause a drop in the high pressure. The DME only monitors the high pressure so you will get an HPFP error even if the problem is before.