Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Yep, HPFP questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 04:53 AM
ssashton
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep, HPFP questions!

Hi guys and gals,

I've just got a 2007 cooper s. It occasionally seems to loose power and at idle the engine vibrations seem a bit wobbly, although revs are stable.

I'm going to clean out the intake manifold and valves but I'm also very aware it could be a failing high pressure fuel pump.

Here in the UK there is no extended warranty for the HPFP so I'm on my own.

Question 1 - does anyone know what is actually failing in the HPFP?? Can repair be attempted?

Question 2 - I notice there is a solenoid on the bottom that looks exactly like a pressure regulator valve. I had a similar issue with a Renault diesel in the past and this valve was at fault. Does anyone know the regulator valve part number and can it be replaced??

Thank you all!

Old 05-31-2017, 05:24 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
No repair or rebuild kits out there. I think it has to do with a one way valve or solenoid failing and allowing backflow. Only thing you can do it replace the part.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:06 AM
ssashton
3rd Gear
Hi,

What you describe sounds like the pressure regulator valve. Looks to be held by 2 bolts and should be replaceable with the right part. No part numbers available for this?

If someone has an HPFP on the bench, maybe they would be willing to pull the solenoid and show what it looks like underneath? This could be as simple as needing new seals on the solenoid.

Last edited by ssashton; 06-02-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:55 AM
Markos
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you go for the replace option and have an N14, you can fit a Peugeot pump. I got a brandnew one on eBay for 350 Euros. Works ok since.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:54 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds interesting. Post what you decide. The solenoid replacement sounds like a simple fix if it works. Is there enough space to remove and install with the pump in place?

Old 06-05-2017, 05:43 AM
ssashton
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Markos
If you go for the replace option and have an N14, you can fit a Peugeot pump. I got a brandnew one on eBay for 350 Euros. Works ok since.
Thanks for the info. Which Peugeot pump is it?

I've had no luck getting a part number for the pressure regulator valve although Delphi make a *kind of* similar looking one.

I havnt taken my pump off the car as it doesnt give me problems day to day. If it does get worse, at the very least I will try to get a new seal ring on the valve before changing the whole unit.

Has nobody had the ***** to try reconditioning their own hpfp? I watched a video about doing a different hpfp once and it wasnt that tricky, just lots of bits to keep track of.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:55 AM
Markos
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ssashton
Thanks for the info. Which Peugeot pump is it?
The Peugeot / Citroen part number is 1920.LL

Old 08-16-2017, 05:34 AM
ssashton
3rd Gear
Hello Chaps,

I have removed the fuel pressure regulator valve / solenoid from the high pressure fuel pump on my Cooper S Gen2.

I thought it might help others to share a few photos.

If you are having high pressure fuel pump issues, I would suggest first replacing the seals on this valve or at least checking them. Also dunk the end in some alcohol or clean fuel and activate the solenoid a few times and generally wash it out in case there is dirt.

Annoyingly this part is not sold separately, even though it has a part number on it - 07 161 0136A

The top black rubber seal is 8mm diameter and 1.9mm cross-section. Best I can measure. It might be more like 1.8mm or 2mm c/s since this is a soft material.

The lower black rubber seal is 10mm diameter and 1.5mm cross-section. It might be 10.5mm diameter and 1.5mm - 1.7mm c/s.

You can buy many seals on eBay so get a few sizes Nitrile rubber I think.

I believe this works by one of the holes on the side having high pressure fuel enter and exiting on the other. There is a valve in the middle that is normally closed blowing fuel flow. It opens when power is applied to the solenoid. I found that I can blow through the holes when it is powered up, but not when deactivated.

I honestly don't know what the small hole on the top of the valve does. I can not blow through it under any conditions. When I removed the valve I could see that there is a tiny filter mesh on the end. I think it may be a safety blow-off or perhaps such a small hole only high pressure fuel can flow. I believe the car has a 'low pressure safety mode' of operation and perhaps this is something to do with that.

In my valve the mesh was slightly damaged and the white ring also looked scratched. I think this may be a used part on my HPFP that somebody changed before me.

You Tube
"> You Tube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Last edited by ssashton; 08-16-2017 at 08:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cjv2 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 03:07 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Did cleaning up the regulator help in your case? I replaced mine couple of weeks ago, but still have my old one lying around. I noticed that there seemed to be leakages around the screws holding the pump together, but didn't look at it more tbh.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:42 AM
ssashton
3rd Gear
Hi,

It didn't help my issue, but it's worth checking for others. I had another car where swapping the pressure regulator fixed a fuel pump issue. So worth checking the seals and cleaning it. The seals on mine seemed good, other than the broken filter mesh on the end.

I still suspect this part, but I think it is the mechanical aspect that has worn out, rather than simply needing new seals or cleaning. In my video you may notice the plunger valve doesn't actually fully move out the way of the holes when activated. I suspect it should as this is where the fuel flows through. I wish this part was available separately from the fuel pump.