Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Cannot remove drive axles on 05 R53

Old 05-27-2017, 05:09 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Cannot remove drive axles on 05 R53

I was pulling the engine to install a Quaife LSD, new clutch, change crank position o-ring, and 15% SC pulley. I opted to pull the engine over dropping the subframe. After removing the crown nuts at the hub and other necessary steps I could not separate the axle from the wheel hub like the videos that I seen on Youtube. I first try taping the outer end of the shaft (where the crown nut) with a 2.5 lb ball peen hammer, and switched to a 4.5 lb sludge hammer to no avail. The spline just would not separate from the wheel hub on both axles.

The 05 MCS only has 42k miles and never expose to road salt. There is no corrosion whatsoever. It felt to me as if there is a circlip preventing me from separating the spline from the hub. After giving both axles a lot of good whacks and getting nowhere I decided to work around it by removing the axles with the steering knuckles, which is a major PITA. I didn't want to risk damaging the wheel bearings. Both axles are bone stock from the factory and no one has ever touch them since new.

Has anyone ever run into similar challenge trying to remove their axles?

Old 05-28-2017, 12:35 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
You pulled the rotor and removed the axle but right? Seems like you may be missing a step or two.

nik

Old 05-28-2017, 07:08 AM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by xsmini
You pulled the rotor and removed the axle but right? Seems like you may be missing a step or two.

nik
Thanks for the reply. I didn't pull the rotor. You only need to if you are servicing the wheel bearing? From the videos I seen others do it. They just removed the lock nut of the axle and tap out the spline from the wheel hub. What am I missing?

Old 05-28-2017, 08:53 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Can't think of what you'd be missing. Sounds like you're doing it right. I do remember it taking a few good sacks with a hammer and 2x4 last time I did it.

good luck

nik

Old 05-28-2017, 12:09 PM
Guke
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you haven't already soaked them with penetrating fluid, do that and let them sit overnight. Not WD-40 either- kroil or PB blaster.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:25 AM
pnwR53S
Thanks all for chiming in. I did soak them with WD-40. I would try Kroil in the future. For what's worth, I check Bentley and the axle removal includes removing the axle along with the steering knuckle after removing the brake rotor. In the usual helpful fashion, it say separate the axle from the steering knuckle - which I infer pressing the axle out with a suitable press.

It must be one of those service procedure like balljoints. If you are lucky you can remove it with a good whack, and if not you need to do it properly with the right tool.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:59 PM
Guke
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You definitely should not have to remove the knuckle with the axle unless it is stuck like yours. Mod Mini has a good video on how they should be removed.

I agree that a puller/press tool is your only option if all else fails. Just be very careful not to damage the shaft. You may want to thread the axle nut on to increase the surface area when pressing and stop it from exploding off and injuring someone. Again, just be careful not to damage the threads or splines. Be sure to put some anti seize on the splines when you re install it. Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:13 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
How does the antilock brake sense the wheel movement? On other cars there is a sensor that rides in a grove of the axle.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:23 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
And yes I know there is a sensor that bolts in place but I cannot tell from your photo if it is removed. I do not know whether the sensor bolt also engages the axle.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:53 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by Guke
You definitely should not have to remove the knuckle with the axle unless it is stuck like yours. Mod Mini has a good video on how they should be removed.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ShWfNl35xDQ

I agree that a puller/press tool is your only option if all else fails. Just be very careful not to damage the shaft. You may want to thread the axle nut on to increase the surface area when pressing and stop it from exploding off and injuring someone. Again, just be careful not to damage the threads or splines. Be sure to put some anti seize on the splines when you re install it. Let us know how it goes.
He must have a golden hammer that I need. I did exactly to no avail. I pound so hard that the end of the axle begins to mushroom slightly and I knew better to stop. Like I said, it is like ball joints, some just won't come quietly without extra measures.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:56 PM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My driver side axle slid out like butter (it probably doesn't hurt that I just had the hubs redone about 2 months ago). My ball joint.... When it finally popped, I wasn't sure if it was the ball joint letting go or the separator (
this kind this kind
) detonating from the tension combined w/ whaling on it w/ a 2# sledge.

Search this Thread