Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2006 MCS rattle/knock at startup etc. (prob not chain tensioner)

Old 05-26-2017, 02:08 PM
Parc_ferme
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 MCS rattle/knock at startup etc. (prob not chain tensioner)

Hey Crew,

Looking to buy my second R53 - check out an otherwise immaculate 2006 R53 with only 50,000 on the odo, 1 owner!

The bad news, it has a funky knock and rattle that I haven't personally heard before...

You hear it right as the car turns over "wap wap wap" and then it pretty much goes away at idle... if you rev up to 1500 or so u can hear it audible again, and then also audible when he engine is under load... I drove the car around he block... does not have loss of oil pressure and does not seem to suffer much if at all on power delivery...

I have attached a couple videos, would love to at least get a few ideas in he hopper on his one.

Thanks so much!

Old 05-26-2017, 04:00 PM
RUPNOK
3rd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Timing chain noise. It could be as easy as replacing the tensioner or as bad as having to replace the guides, cam gear, crank sprocket, chain, and tensioner.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:20 PM
Parc_ferme
Neutral
Originally Posted by RUPNOK
Timing chain noise. It could be as easy as replacing the tensioner or as bad as having to replace the guides, cam gear, crank sprocket, chain, and tensioner.
r u sure? it sounds a bit different from when the chain tensioner needed replacing on my previous r53...

Old 05-26-2017, 04:22 PM
Parc_ferme
Neutral
i was thinking might be something a bit more serious, rod or something...

Old 05-26-2017, 04:27 PM
RUPNOK
3rd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, I'm listening to it on some sh*tty chinese computer speakers take from a mic from a phone, so take it for what it is worth.

Search this Thread