Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53 Replacement Radiator Fan

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Swingerstunt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 Replacement Radiator Fan

Hello everyone!

Recently my A/C stopped blowing cold air during a drive. Since it was the first really hot day this year, I tried just adding refrigerant. Turns out that is wasn't engaged and the radiator fan wasn't spinning.

After letting the car cool down, I checked the relays and even switched them to rule them out. Everything seemed fine, so I checked the rest of the fuses under the hood, and in the car. All fuses appear to be normal.

After a bit of research, I found that the resistor in the fan assembly could be the problem. After a more research, I bought one from RockAuto and got it today. Just to check and see if it worked, I unplugged the old fan and plugged the new one in. The new fan didn't come on either. Since there are no other connectors, the fan should have come on with the car and A/C on, right?

And if the fan didn't come on, what should I look for next? About 8 months ago I replaced the Power Steering pump and the fan looked OK, so I will check it again later.

I just don't know if that fan should have come on, or what the issue could be. I also don't think it is a temperature sensor, because the car still reads the temp. Any help will greatly be appreciated, especially if it gets Coop back on the road

Old 05-23-2017, 11:15 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Per the Bentley manual, and confirmed by my ScanGauge, the fan operates at low speed at 221F, and turns off at 214F. The fan switches to high speed at 234F and remains on high until the coolant temps drops by 7F. Supposedly it also turns on when the AC is on and the AC system pressure reaches 8 bar (114psi)

If the new low speed fan doesn't go on with the AC, I think the issue is the compressor not producing the 114psi required. That's how my failure worked - low speed (resistor) died, then the AC died due to lack of airflow at low speed.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:20 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
​The low-speed fan should come on when you turn on the A/C.
Does the compressor clutch engage when the A/C kicks on?

Regarding the fan itself, you might want to check it's operation first, independent of the A/C running or not.

The Low-Speed Fan comes on at 221°F, then turns off at 214°F
The Hi-Speed Fan comes on at 234°F
If you get to 239°F and the fan hasn't come on, turn the engine off.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:42 AM
Swingerstunt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The clutch does seem to kick in, but it sounds like a straining fan-like sound. I'll need to get a temperature gauge and check to see if the Hi-Speed fan comes on. But shouldn't the new fan have come on if I had the A/C on? I'll do a little more testing when I get home. Thanks for the replies, and keep them coming if you have an idea

Old 05-23-2017, 12:21 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
FYI, the power steering fan (if operational) should also come on when you turn on the A/C. Not sure if it needs to work for the low-speed fan to work.

Maybe someone can help with that?