Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Found P0456 culprit

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:39 AM
camucho
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found P0456 culprit

My check engine came on, the scanner showed error p0456, small leak, I read previous posts here, I replaced the gas cap, vacuum checked the canister and scavenger line, everything checked OK.

In my case, I made a mistake when checking the scavenger line, I plugged one side, that created a tight seal with with the "O" ring, the line tested OK, but I didn't test the "O" ring. After few weeks, I put some oil on the purge valve and reconnected the line, that stopped the leak for a few weeks. I ordered a new line and replaced about 4 months ago, the error is gone.

I took the "O" ring out, it was flatten on one side. If I had the same error again, I'd try to find the ring and change it, that would be an easier fix than changing the whole line.... it runs under the front subframe, I didn't drop it completely, but it was hard to maneuver the line and attach it.

Sorry, no pictures.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:35 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Good to know. Thanks

Old 05-26-2017, 12:49 PM
coopermike29
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thank you for sharing !!

Excellent info !!