Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

A/C squirrel cage grenaded.... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 03:21 PM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A/C squirrel cage grenaded.... HELP!

So my blower has always sounded like a bike wheel w/ a playing card in the spokes if the auto temp decided I needed high fan. Today something gave and the entire dash started shaking.

I took out the cabin air filter to see what I could feel, and found several fins of the squirrel cage missing. I then pulled the plug on the driver's side, and wouldn't you know it, a red, white and a brown.... 3 poles. I'm going to call a local indy shop tomorrow (given that I don't want to tear the dash to the frame myself), but I'm finding that the blower assembly itself it >$1k and rarer than hens' teeth
I'm going to start scouring our part outs to see if I can get lucky, but for those who have seen these units in person, can I just replace the plastic squirrel cage? My motor runs fine.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:19 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Oh, Hallelujah!! It looks like it is in deed possible to just swap the squirrel cage.

SO.... I've read several times that it's a bear to remove this, and also that the Bentley manual isn't the most helpful thing for this swap. How stupid is this reported 10 hour job? Is there a better manual for the dash tear down specifically? Is there a how-to somewhere that I've missed?

Wish me luck. It's getting far too warm to not have AC, and it's an even bigger problem when it starts raining.... AND winter w/out a blower motor == parked car.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:17 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Good luck !

So that style blower unit are still on Galactic Back Order...Been at least 2 years ! I could have made a whole new one with a 3D printer by now... Anyone contact World Pac yet ?

http://www.worldpac.com/parts/

They buy up OEM parts ( or least used to from me when I was a parts advisor ) to duplicate and develop aftermarket parts to sell from their web site....

Old 05-18-2017, 05:52 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
There are a couple of salvage yards w/in 50 miles of me that list that they have a blower for a vehicle w/ auto climate (is that what requires the 3 pole?!) for sub $50. I'm going to reach out to them. I may also reach out to someplace that lists both units in stock and see of they can measure the squirrel cages and confirm that they are the same. If so, I can just buy a new one from anywhere and swap the squirrel cages over.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:01 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Before getting to excited really get in there and check to see if you have a foreign object lodged in there that caused the damage to the fan blade.

The BMW/MINI parts catalogue call out the 3 poll blower motor with fan at: Blower unit, 1ea, Part Number: 67326901862, Price $293.20

Best of Luck.

Motor On!

Old 05-18-2017, 06:17 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JABowders
Before getting to excited really get in there and check to see if you have a foreign object lodged in there that caused the damage to the fan blade.

The BMW/MINI parts catalogue call out the 3 poll blower motor with fan at: Blower unit, 1ea, Part Number: 67326901862, Price $293.20

Best of Luck.

Motor On!
Oh, I wish... I felt in there last night hoping for this. I actually have about 3 vanes missing, along w/ the associated outer rim.
And, even though MSRP for that fan is $293.20, you can't buy it for that. :(

Also, looks like I'll be buying a Bentley manual and spending a bit more quality time w/ me wee mate, Cooper. I can't justify $750 in labor just because I'd rather not tear out the dash.

Last edited by ST3ALTHPSYCH0; 05-18-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:00 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
For anyone following this (and those playing along at home), there's a salvage yard down in Fairmount, IN that claims they have 5 Minis w/ compatible assemblies (of course, the one in N. Manchester claimed they have 2, until they check the plugs). The difference is that the Fairmount yards is only asking $19!! I've informed the guy that I NEED one w/ a flat, 6 terminal plug, but, if they don't have one, to pull one anyway. For $19 I'm going to gamble that the squirrel cage is the same. I'll definitely keep you all posted as it develops.

And speaking of, can anyone CONFIRM that the dash has to come out. I was looking more closely this morning. I can either see or feel all 3 torx screws of my blower assembly and there's a HUGE void straight behind it. I will definitely be experimenting w/ removing this without taking my dash apart. Pix and write up possibly pending.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:39 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
They are available through MINI last time I checked and we can also get them through a supplier for a less. 67326901862

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/67326901862/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-19-2017, 05:43 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Yea, sorry that price is most likely the DEALER cost not the retail price .... kind of shows a slight mark up.

I'm with you, salvage yard and pull the cage.

Best of luck.

Motor On!

Old 05-19-2017, 05:50 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by ST3ALTHPSYCH0
For anyone following this (and those playing along at home), there's a salvage yard down in Fairmount, IN that claims they have 5 Minis w/ compatible assemblies (of course, the one in N. Manchester claimed they have 2, until they check the plugs). The difference is that the Fairmount yards is only asking $19!! I've informed the guy that I NEED one w/ a flat, 6 terminal plug, but, if they don't have one, to pull one anyway. For $19 I'm going to gamble that the squirrel cage is the same. I'll definitely keep you all posted as it develops.

And speaking of, can anyone CONFIRM that the dash has to come out. I was looking more closely this morning. I can either see or feel all 3 torx screws of my blower assembly and there's a HUGE void straight behind it. I will definitely be experimenting w/ removing this without taking my dash apart. Pix and write up possibly pending.
FYI, I ran into a situation exactly like this for a client when I worked for MINI. I eventually scored one from local salvage yard but was no easy task. Many salvage yards throw caution to the wind saying " yeah it's the right one !" Only to show up with incorrect Pin connector....If you find a used one, ask them to take a photo of the ACTUAL connector of unit they are selling you. It will save you time and money in the long run.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:18 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
FYI, I ran into a situation exactly like this for a client when I worked for MINI. I eventually scored one from local salvage yard but was no easy task. Many salvage yards throw caution to the wind saying " yeah it's the right one !" Only to show up with incorrect Pin connector....If you find a used one, ask them to take a photo of the ACTUAL connector of unit they are selling you. It will save you time and money in the long run.
I was VERY specific about the connector, and the person with whom I spoke put that information onto the pull order. That said, I did tell him to pull one even if they were all 2 pole. For $19 I'll take the gamble that BMW/MINI didn't use completely different dash ducting, and so, the squirrel cage is identical.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:23 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Well, I messed around trying to remove the blower assembly without removing the dash.... Yeah, no. You can see in the pic that it looks like there might be enough room to pull it.

The problem is that My head was right under the steering wheel while my arm was trying to remove these T20 screws. I got the bottom 2, but not only is the top one behind that bundle of wires, it feels like it's against the very top of the dash.

I do have an early edition Bentley manual on the way, and a pull order for a blower (it would be amazing if they have a 3 pole so I get a simple swap). I do sincerely hope, however, that I can get this done without having the A/C system purged!