Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53 Transmission Repair Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 07:58 AM
Wohnson89
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 Transmission Repair Advice Needed

So my 05 R53 Mini with 45K on the clock decided to grenade the manual transmission (w/lsd). Currently I'm on the hunt for a solution to the problem. I've looked into either replacing the unit with a used box, or sending it to be rebuilt or remanufactured. Worst case scenario I'll just sell it as is if it gets too expensive to repair.

Does anyone have a good source for used transmissions or know of a reputable rebuilder? I'm leaning toward just getting a used assembly and going that direction. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Wohnson89; 05-15-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:25 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Wohnson89
So my 05 R53 Mini with 45K on the clock decided to grenade a transmission. Currently I'm on the hunt for a solution to the problem. I've looked into either replacing the unit with a used box, or sending it to be rebuilt or remanufactured. Worst case scenario I'll just sell it as is if it gets too expensive to repair.

Does anyone have a good source for used transmissions or know of a reputable rebuilder? I'm leaning toward just getting a used assembly and going that direction. Any thoughts?
Sorry for the problem you're having. It might be more helpful if you state what type of tranny you have, auto/manual, of did I miss it in the post?

Old 05-15-2017, 08:38 AM
Wohnson89
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Sorry for the problem you're having. It might be more helpful if you state what type of tranny you have, auto/manual, of did I miss it in the post?
I edited to the first post to include the information
Sometimes I forget these cars were offered with an automatic, my car is a 6-speed manual with a LSD.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:35 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Generally speaking, the parts and labor cost involved in rebuilding a transmission normally will exceed the cost of a new transmission.

That being said, if you do the work yourself then the cost can be considerably less. HOWEVER, if after the parts are purchased and then the case is determined to be useless ....

If I were doing the work myself, I would get it apart and inspect the damage, determine what needed to be repaired then first search for a good used replacement available from a salvage yard of possibly a direct replacement NEW transmission, depending on overall cost.

The real concern I have is... What caused the Transmission to Grenade?

Best of Luck.

Motor On!