Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

P1477 code related?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:46 PM
SoLow18
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
P1477 code related?

Hey everyone,
I've got a code along with the SES light. Car seems to run fine but I'd rather fix things that seem small before the get worse. After looking at other threads on the topic I decided to look under the hood before taking off my right rear wheel to look at the emissions stuff there. Upon inspection I found this line that had a piece of plastic broken off in it. Not sure what it does or where it goes. Any help would be appreciated.

R53, 88000 miles, exhaust/dinan CAI, and Dinan software. All installed at the dealer in Hawaii.

Thanks for any input.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:07 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by SoLow18
I've got a code along with the SES light... Upon inspection I found this line that had a piece of plastic broken off in it. Not sure what it does or where it goes. Any help would be appreciated.
I'm almost certain that your code is due to that vacuum line being disconnected from the fuel tank breather line which runs under the intercooler horn along the front of the fuel rail. See photo below that shows the 90° elbow connection underneath. You can see where it connects by looking straight into the small gap from the front/passenger-side intercooler horn, just to the right of the oil dipstick.

Unfortunately, I believe that the broken off nipple in your hand is from this fuel tank breather line, so you'll have to remove the intercooler to replace it, It's p/n 13907515434.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:

Just an FYI: From your photos, it appears that you are in dire need of a new coolant expansion tank which you should replace as soon as possible, as it will most certainly lead to your MINI overheating...

Last edited by AoxoMoxoA; 05-15-2017 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Added EDIT
Old 05-15-2017, 09:08 PM
SoLow18
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
I'm almost certain that your code is due to that vacuum line being disconnected from the fuel tank breather line which runs under the intercooler horn along the front of the fuel rail. See photo below that shows the 90° elbow connection underneath. You can see where it connects by looking straight into the small gap from the front/passenger-side intercooler horn, just to the right of the oil dipstick.

Unfortunately, I believe that the broken off nipple in your hand is from this fuel tank breather line, so you'll have to remove the intercooler to replace it, It's p/n 13907515434.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:

Just an FYI: From your photos, it appears that you are in dire need of a new coolant expansion tank which you should replace as soon as possible, as it will most certainly lead to your MINI overheating...

Thanks for all the good information. I'll look into everything this weekend when I finally get a minute away from work. I'll let you know if that fixes the issue.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:18 PM
SoLow18
1st Gear
Update

Good news, I replaced the fuel breather line today and ereased the code. I drove the car for over 40 miles and no sign of the problem coming back. Thanks for all the help on my issue.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:58 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by SoLow18
Good news, I replaced the fuel breather line today and ereased the code. I drove the car for over 40 miles and no sign of the problem coming back. Thanks for all the help on my issue.
Excellent...

Make sure you get on that expansion tank sooner rather than later... Definitely leaking at the center seam and the cap looks like it may not be holding the 13-15 psi of pressure that it needs to; overall, looks like it's seen better days.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:11 PM
Mini03Tiger84
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. My P1477 code exactly the same elbow fitting starting to fail from dry rot after 16 years. I guess that is OK.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Teenagers do sometimes give you fits.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:01 AM
N0mis2
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I change mine for this since ive broke it several Time!!!