Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53 Won' Start! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:53 PM
MiniManTim
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 Won' Start! Please Help!

Ok so I neglected my car and let it sit for quite some time. When I went to get her going again the battery was dead, so I got a new one. Now the car will light up and the normal chiming happens and the fuel pump primes, but when I turn to start I get nothing, nada, crickets! I searched the forums and went with the cheapest fixes; new key, new battery, new ignition terminal switch and I still have the same symptoms. I decided to replace the starter and still nothing. Same issues. Lights, radio, chimes, fuel pump priming and then when I turn to start nothing happens. I'm so lost, I miss driving my Mini, but ultimately want to sell it. Does anyone have any advice?! Please help me!

Old 05-11-2017, 04:21 PM
MiniManTim
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I forgot to add we tried push starting and it didn't work. I also checked the grounding wire and it looks good and isn't disconnected. Any other suggestions?

Old 05-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
So you are saying that the starter is not turning, correct? When you pushed it, you popped the clutch and the wheels turned or they the skidded and did not turn?

Old 05-12-2017, 05:00 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Need to make sure the engine is not set up, hence my previous question.

If the motor turns over but the starter is not working you need to test the circuits. I know that other cars have interlocks in place so the ignition sequence is stopped through the key switch if certain sensors are not working. Need to find a schematic on your year Mini and see if this is the case.

You many have a two fold issue, the above, and then assume you had ethanol based gas in the car. Ethanol gas is subject to Phase Separation that results in the water in the air being absorbed into the tank. If the pick up point of the mini is in the water level you are not going to start even if you push. You should check the gas at the fuel rail.

I am also thinking that a code scanner may tell you if some sensors are bad.

Last, you verified you have voltage at the starter?

Old 05-18-2017, 06:15 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Manual or Auto transmission?

Manual Trans check you Clutch Pedal Safety Switch

Auto Trans check to make sure the transmission is in Park or Neutral and the Brake Pedal Safety Switch.

Best of Luck.

Motor On!