Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R56 Starter Grinding

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 11:04 AM
EdRedSled
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Starter Grinding

I have a 2007 Mini S (Turbo) with the 6 speed automatic. Just got the car back from someone who swapped in a used tranny, which took a while, but it is running great. BUT of the 8 times I have started it since, I've had what seems like a starter grinding noise against the flywheel (my guess).

I've topped off the battery (no load test yet..), and when its not grinding it starts normal. The two times it grinded, I needed to press the start button a second time to get it to stop (car never started).

I plan to load test the battery, but I am guessing the starter is not fully engaging? I had a similar issue with an outboard boat motor (broken mount) and it sounded nearly the same.

I prefer to handle this myself instead of bringing the car back to the tranny guy because its 2 hours round trip, and the starter has 90K on it... so moving on...

1) Could a weak battery or poor connection be the cause?
2) I'll check the mounting of the starter for obvious play/damage
3) I assume I should replace the entire starter/solenoid, correct?
4) Best method for backyard mechanic with Rhino ramps and floor jack. Go in through the underside or pull the intake manifold and come in from the top?
5) Special tools?

Thanks All!

Old 05-13-2017, 01:56 PM
EdRedSled
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump