Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Engine Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 06:55 PM
NOSLO
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Malfunction

Hello, let me start by saying that I know little-to-nothing about cars. 2 weeks ago, I took my 2009 Mini Cooper into their dealership for service. I paid $800 where, among other things, they changed the engine's temperature sensor. Yesterday, the car died. Turns out, the engine wasn't receiving coolant and now I'm told I need to replace the engine (around $8,000).

Would any of you fine people be able to tell me if the replacement of the temperature sensor could have potentially caused the malfunction. I suspect that it is the dealership's fault, but I don't possess the requisite knowledge to say for sure. So, in short, would you say that it could be related, or are the two entirely unrelated?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Old 05-05-2017, 07:03 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Sorry to hear about your engine. Can you clarify regarding the coolant? Did it leak out, and thus the engine overheated?

Old 05-13-2017, 03:29 PM
imad
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOSLO
Hello, let me start by saying that I know little-to-nothing about cars. 2 weeks ago, I took my 2009 Mini Cooper into their dealership for service. I paid $800 where, among other things, they changed the engine's temperature sensor. Yesterday, the car died. Turns out, the engine wasn't receiving coolant and now I'm told I need to replace the engine (around $8,000).

Would any of you fine people be able to tell me if the replacement of the temperature sensor could have potentially caused the malfunction. I suspect that it is the dealership's fault, but I don't possess the requisite knowledge to say for sure. So, in short, would you say that it could be related, or are the two entirely unrelated?

Thanks in advance for your time!
I believe they replaced the sensor because it didn't show any reasonable temperature. It turns that sensor was probably fine, but it didn't see any water to measure it's temp..

Just an idea. But well, if they drained the system, then it could be that they didn't tighten everything correctly, or there was an air bulb in the system. Anyways, I would attack service asking what did they do. You said among other things the sensor was replaced, but what are those *other things*?