Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

P2885 Boost Pressure

Old 04-13-2017, 02:15 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
P2885 Boost Pressure

My CEL lit up. The local shop indicated it was a P2885 Boost Pressure Control Duration (Not in the Bentley manual)

What steps would you take to cure this?

Thanks

Old 04-18-2017, 12:10 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 04-19-2017, 12:21 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
That's the best list that I have found. My 2009 R55S had a wastegate that had broken away from the arm....tried several of the items on the list before I pulled the turbo and found that. My car had something like 140,000 miles on it when it went....all "highway" miles. I had the turbo rebuilt and all was well again. My current 2009 R55fJCW has 68,000 miles and this code pops up when I have the AccessPort Stage One tune (larger FMIC) loaded and WOT in 4th or higher gear...but not without the tune. Haven't had time to research....

Old 04-19-2017, 12:36 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
I just talked to Arric and I'll try to hook up a dongle, and make some adjustments soon. I think I'll also replace the sensors. Maybe they are full of crud/oil/coyote hair....

Old 04-19-2017, 05:03 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
I used to get P2885 all the time with my AP custom tune --- driving habits needed to change. When trying to accelerate hard without having enough boost initially, I'd get the code. Only happened when trying to pass or going uphill --- downshifting before punching it was the solution. Then I got a Manic tune --- problem went away! In my case, it wasn't a mechanical issue, just tuning.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:53 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
I got a tune from Arric's guys and never had a cel or other error until last summer when it got really hot here. But this popped up and it's not really hot yet. We cleared it and I'm going to try to set up a log to see what is happening while I drive. I'll share what happens when I have more information.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:56 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
I used to get P2885 all the time with my AP custom tune --- driving habits needed to change. When trying to accelerate hard without having enough boost initially, I'd get the code. Only happened when trying to pass or going uphill --- downshifting before punching it was the solution. Then I got a Manic tune --- problem went away! In my case, it wasn't a mechanical issue, just tuning.
Good to know - thank you!

Old 04-20-2017, 10:49 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by danraabe
I got a tune from Arric's guys and never had a cel or other error until last summer when it got really hot here. But this popped up and it's not really hot yet. We cleared it and I'm going to try to set up a log to see what is happening while I drive. I'll share what happens when I have more information.
Some of the tunes from Arric's guys are done without using our MAF --- "MAF-less tunes". If this is your case, you're in the minority here in the USA, and might not get much legitimate advice or help outside of Arric's domain. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2017, 03:11 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
p2885 Boost Pressure

I'm not sure what "MAF-less tunes" means. Can you elaborate?

Old 04-20-2017, 04:13 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by danraabe
I'm not sure what "MAF-less tunes" means. Can you elaborate?
Mini's built for the UK don't have a Mass Air Flow sensor. They can still be tuned, but their tunes are NOT compatible with cars built with the MAF. I've talked with a couple other guys that have Arric's MAF-less tune --- one has all kinds of problems and the other it's his first tune and he doesn't know what to expect --- wouldn't recognize the difference between a good and bad tune. I'm told by others that a MAF-less tune is "hit or miss" --- might take a couple tries to get it right. Others have sworn by a MAF-less tune, but they might have been from the UK where that kind of tune is common.

Maybe take a look at your MAF, to see if it's still there and connected. The MAF is mounted just downstream or right next to the air filter. I don't know whether or not they get removed or disconnected or just ignored by the tuner. If you don't have a hardware problem, work with Arric or his tuner to see if there's a temperature sensitive issue with his tune. I had one with my Manic tune (not P2885) and a minor map tweek fixed it.

I'm not saying you have a bad tune, just offering up the possibility.

Search this Thread