Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Clutch Blew in my Clubbie S

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 12:25 PM
saltnpeppa
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch Blew in my Clubbie S

So after 108K miles the clutch blew in the Clubbie a week ago. I have had it for about 7K of those miles (bought at 101K). Been sitting at Dad's house since. It had that Chewbacca noise, even when I bought it but didn't realize what it was until it started getting much much worse and I researched it. Before it would only do it every once in a while, thought maybe it was brakes draggin a bit. Around 107k the clutch started to slip very slightly. I babied it as much as I could but clutch slippage just got worse and worse. It was the only vehicle I had at the time. Now I am daily-ing my bagged 68 C10 until I can get some advice or ideas on what to do.

So with that, I most likely will need a new flywheel. Would you guys recommend I go with the OEM dual-mass or go with a solid? If so where would I get a solid flywheel?

As far as clutch disc goes, is this a good time to upgrade to a beefier clutch disc? Once this is fixed I do plan on a bigger intercooler and some other tweaks for a bit more power, maybe some stickier tires than the stock run-flats.

Is this a recommended DIY or should a shop do this?

Any and all recommendations you guys have on parts would be helpful. If you think it's best, anyone know any shops in NC area?

Thanks.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If you see cracks on your flywheel replace it with an OE flywheel.
Unless you're changing the turbo and running crazy boost the stock EVERYTHING will be just fine. If the previous lasted 100k I'd stay with the same one. EMINIparts.com is a great place for OE replacement parts. If you have a hard time navigating their site just shoot them a message. Include year and model as well as VIN. Your own abilities will dictate whether or not you should DIY. I bet google will have a good list of euro shops in your area.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:13 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
We have found the stock clutch kit to be by far the most reliable for these cars and have customers with over 180k on the stock clutch even with mods so it really comes down to the driver.
So for the flywheel going back with the dual mass is a must with the stock clutch
https://www.waymotorworks.com/stock-...-cooper-s.html

then the complete kit
https://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-cl...-cooper-s.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-14-2017, 11:56 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
yup, if its just a daily beater stock clutch should work great. mine started fading quick past the 100k mark, with 50k of it being tuned.

labor for clutch swap is about 9 hours iirc getting done at a shop, may want to check out tarheelminis (website or facebook) for recommendations. best time to upgrade to LSD also.

kinda wanted to see some pics of this bagged 68 c10 too lol