Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Will a clogged PCV valve throw a code?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 08:19 PM
scott13
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Will a clogged PCV valve throw a code?

My 08 Justa MINI with 53,000 miles is burning more oil than usual and I see oil seepage from the valve cover. I pulled the breather tube from the valve cover and saw white gunk (mayo) lining the walls. Not too surprising as I often see mayo under the oil cap in winter when the car isn't driven long distances.
I torqued to spec all the valve cover bolts but only 2 were slightly loose.
I don't want to simply replace the valve cover gasket if the real problem is a clogged pcv valve. So, will a clogged pcv valve eventually throw a code?
I know that the pcv valve is integral to the valve cover. Has anybody had any success in removing the valve cover and somehow cleaning out the pcv?

Old 02-01-2017, 10:25 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
It may throw a code. I have seen it on BMW's on occasion. Things can happen that could create an air leak and throw a lean code. If it's stuck closed it may not run well and could possibly throw a misfire code or puff oil-smoke out the exhaust. If the PCV is faulty, cleaning it will do nothing. Engine oil consumption increases significantly if the crankcase ventilation system is defective. We have more info on oil consumption in this article here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Diagnosis.htm

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST