Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Is this the dreaded "Chain Rattle"

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:19 AM
MightyWhitey
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this the dreaded "Chain Rattle"

Bought my 2011 Mini Cooper S R56 (N18) about 2 months ago. The car has 61,000 miles on it, and by the records that came with the car, has always been well taken care of.

As of the past week, I've been noticing that on cold starts in the morning, motor is extremely loud and with the hood open, seems to run pretty rough. Noise eventually goes away, yet still has me wondering what it is.

I've heard of the cold start issues, but I'm wanting to know if anyone thinks this is the dreaded chain rattle, I am not sure if the chains and guides have ever been replaced.

The car is still under the extended warranty that the previous owner purchased, so should I take it in? I just don't want to sound like an ******* to the dealership.

I did a video of it this morning, temp was about 11 here in Jersey. Video is below, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MightyWhitey; 01-09-2017 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Wrong link
Old 01-09-2017, 08:36 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
The N18 engine, like the one you have, does not have that issue per se'. when i start my car 08 clubman, i hear the same noise and then it goes way, and im down in philly. You can always take to the dealer for any reason you want. let them know that there is noise in the engine and let them see the video. the warranty is there for a reason.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Get it to the dealer ASAP.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:53 AM
MightyWhitey
1st Gear
Oh okay, I wasn't aware that the issue pertained to N14s, as you say, per se'. Just seemed a little loud and violent to me. Oil was just done by the dealership, so I know low oil wasn't an issue.

It goes away like you said, but only when I let it warm up for awhile. Taking it to the dealer won't hurt, just wasn't sure if they like to charge just to look at something.

Originally Posted by MiniToBe
The N18 engine, like the one you have, does not have that issue per se'. when i start my car 08 clubman, i hear the same noise and then it goes way, and im down in philly. You can always take to the dealer for any reason you want. let them know that there is noise in the engine and let them see the video. the warranty is there for a reason.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:56 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
if they wanted to charge you for the "diagnosis", let them know that the noise started after the oil change and you want to follow up. also, YOU check the oil. dont rely on anyone. trust your own eyes only, for now.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:03 AM
MightyWhitey
1st Gear
I constantly keep up with the maintenance myself. Like you said, I don't trust anyone. I did make sure to verify oil level, so we're all good there. I'll definitely take a trip to the dealer today.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like it. I have the same year car and my upper timing guide broke and it sounded just like it. Just pull the valve cover off take 3 seconds and easy to do and take a look at the guide and chain.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:02 PM
MightyWhitey
1st Gear
Car is at the dealership now. They have to keep it overnight so they can replicate the sound in the morning. Gave me a nice soccer mom mini van for a rental...

Old 01-10-2017, 02:31 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
It's hard to tell for sure from the video, and maybe it's just me, but it sounds just like the normal valve cam noise to me with these little engines... I'll be curious to ear about what the shop as to say...

They are small, with thin wall sections, so they don't have a lot of natural noise insolation to start with...

Old 01-10-2017, 02:46 PM
MightyWhitey
1st Gear
Little update, Dealership finally got back to me around 3 today, after having the car all day. Service guy stated that the tech went out to the start the car, mind you it was around 3, and didn't hear any noises.

I usually start the car at 6 in the morning, when it's still blistering cold out. I told the service guy this, and also said that the video clearly shows there is some unwanted noise.

They are going to keep the car overnight again, and hopefully start it first thing in the morning.

Until then, I will continue to drive my brand new Chrysler Pacifica courtesy car (yes, I am driving a Mini Van)

Old 01-10-2017, 02:50 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Let's look at thw bright side, you are still driving a "MINI" van..lol

But no seriously, wasnt the whole idea for them to start the car in the morning? I also wonder where theu keep the car? Is it outside to replicate your comdition, or inside where it is warm and nice?

Old 01-10-2017, 02:58 PM
MightyWhitey
1st Gear
Lmao, thats a good one, never thought of that. I see why people get Mini Vans, thing is loaded and comfortable.

But no, I was thinking that same thing. I'm not even sure if the car was kept outside or not. I should have thought of that earlier. I'll ask tomorrow and find out for sure. I'm not just going to drive my car out of the dealership with nothing done, just to have something happen weeks down the road.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:59 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Suggest you go to the dealership. Let them figure it out. Timing chain issues are not hard for them to diagnose.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:21 AM
MightyWhitey
1st Gear
Dealership just called, so so far, they replaced the oil pressure solenoid. Service tech stated that the car is still throwing some sort of codes for oil pressure. So now, I'm waiting on them to install an oil pump.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think they are doing all this to avoid replacing my chains? The car has never thrown any check engine lights at all for oil pressure.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Did they say that that fixed the noise issue?

Old 01-12-2017, 11:50 AM
MightyWhitey
1st Gear
No, all they said is that the car is still throwing codes for oil pressure. Nothing was even said about the main reason I brought the car in

Old 01-12-2017, 07:00 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
I hope they are doing all of this for free becuse you went for a specific issue and they are digging somewhere else...i think at the end of this, they will tell you you need either a new ECU or a new engine! Or better yet, you need new wipers so you can see clearly!!! Dealers!!!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:09 PM
MightyWhitey
1st Gear
Luckily I was smart and bought a Certified Pre-Owned Mini, so everything that is getting done will be covered. By the time everything is said and done, I'll have a new car smh

Old 01-12-2017, 07:11 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Niice...general public 1 - dealer 0

Lol