Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Engine Temp Too High

Old 11-16-2016, 02:42 PM
SoundMessage
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Temp Too High

I have a 2009 R55 Clubman S. In normal running conditions, my engine water temp is spot on 224-225 degrees F. A few weeks ago, I noticed my engine water temp started to vary as I was driving between 218 degrees F and 232 degrees F. However, everything was operating fine, so I didn't think much of it.

Today, I noticed that the engine water temp readings were shooting way up into the 240-250+ degrees F. I got the yellow temperature warning lamp and noticed the spike in temperature. So, I turned on the A/C full blast and it kept the temps down to 225-235 degrees F whilst I drove the rest of the way home.

However, now that the temps are outside the safe zone, it sounds like a need a repair. Any thoughts?

I have 117K miles on my car, so I assume I'm outside even extended coverages for water pump/thermostat issues (if that's even the problem), right?

Old 11-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Thermostat.

These cars have an electronically controlled thermostat and they fail. Mine failed at 55k miles. The temperature reading became erratic and I got a check engine light. But it never got really hot. Unfortunately, this is not a cheap fix and it is a pain to do yourself, although I am sure it can be done.

My 2007 read about the same as yours (~224 deg). My 2012 reads 216 deg but will go to 222 deg when standing still.

While you are at it, replace the auxiliary water pump that cools the turbo bearings. This was also gone on my car and caused really high oil temps. The main symptom was that the fan would come on almost any time the car was turned off. Again, not cheap to do, but it is in the same area as the thermostat and you save a bit of labor doing both together.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Eddie07S; 11-16-2016 at 05:07 PM. Reason: edits
Old 11-16-2016, 08:25 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
what he said

(but I had mine done at the Mini dealer)
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Thermostat.

These cars have an electronically controlled thermostat and they fail. Mine failed at 55k miles. The temperature reading became erratic and I got a check engine light. But it never got really hot. Unfortunately, this is not a cheap fix and it is a pain to do yourself, although I am sure it can be done.

My 2007 read about the same as yours (~224 deg). My 2012 reads 216 deg but will go to 222 deg when standing still.

While you are at it, replace the auxiliary water pump that cools the turbo bearings. This was also gone on my car and caused really high oil temps. The main symptom was that the fan would come on almost any time the car was turned off. Again, not cheap to do, but it is in the same area as the thermostat and you save a bit of labor doing both together.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:53 AM
webhead
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMM
what he said

(but I had mine done at the Mini dealer)
What he said he said. I purchased a 2009 S Clubman in August and spent around $1000 on parts and did the repairs myself. The thermostat was one of them. Nice looking car! Good luck.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:51 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
I did my thermostat, waterpump (w/metal housing), expansion tank, and coolant all at the same time.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-no-heat.html

The aux water pump had a replacement recall, so I would have the dealer run your Vin on that. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ll-letter.html

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/11537630368/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Search this Thread