Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Class Action Settlement Confirmed for R56 Timing Chain Issues

Old 01-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeZZMini
I've been in contact with Mini USA about this. They seem to be unaware of the Class Action settlement? I was told to send them my invoice/receipts for the Timing Chain Kit I dad installed at the Mini Dealership 0n 9/26/2015 in Richmond VA. I am now awaiting their response.
It's my understanding that owners and previous owners of '07-'10 Minis will be contacted in the coming months about the class action. I'm assuming that's when it will be up to you to decide on if you are joining the class action or not. Until then, I'm sure the vast majority of dealers have no knowledge of this as probably it's something only BMW corporate is aware of at this time.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:50 AM
tchain
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Spectral G
It's my understanding that owners and previous owners of '07-'10 Minis will be contacted in the coming months about the class action. I'm assuming that's when it will be up to you to decide on if you are joining the class action or not. Until then, I'm sure the vast majority of dealers have no knowledge of this as probably it's something only BMW corporate is aware of at this time.
They are definitely aware of the class action at the ASK-MINI customer relations department. They will initially play dumb, but when pressed, they will acknowledge their awareness and will act accordingly. In my case, my latest timing chain issue, which had been denied assistance twice by mini, suddenly got taken care of. Your mileage may vary, of course...

Old 01-27-2016, 03:25 PM
DtotheL
Neutral
Just bought a 2007 Cooper S, with 35k miles from new. Unfortunately I was only able to test drive the car from warm, and it was great. No warranty as part of the sale.

On my first cold start the morning after I bought it, it sounded pretty rough and rattly. Carfax says it's received frequent oil changes.

I phoned Mini of San Francisco this morning to enquire about the class action. The first lady I spoke with was very helpful, referring to a "letter" regarding a service bulletin, and suggested that Mini would cover the cost. I asked for more detail and she offered to email a copy of the letter, which sounded great. Unfortunately when it arrived it was just a link to the same class action website that can be found just by Googling.

I then spoke with a guy in the service dept, who said that BMW/Mini haven't started any scheme to replace/repair timing chains or tensioners as a result of the class action. It sounded like he was expecting to hear more in the near future.

The class action article suggests the warranty would be extended to 7 years and 100,000 miles, therefore excluding early 2nd gen owners. Does anyone know whether a 2007 would still be covered? Or does anyone even have a sniff of anything official?

I have a couple of days and around 80 miles to decide whether to return the car for a refund. I love everything about it except the rattle and risk of financial pain.

Youtube link to my cold start in case anyone has any thoughts:

Old 01-28-2016, 10:27 AM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tchain
They are definitely aware of the class action at the ASK-MINI customer relations department. They will initially play dumb, but when pressed, they will acknowledge their awareness and will act accordingly. In my case, my latest timing chain issue, which had been denied assistance twice by mini, suddenly got taken care of. Your mileage may vary, of course...
Yeah, I suppose that does sound like something they would do. Make the dealers aware, but tell them not to mention the subject unless specifically pressed by the customer. Makes me so angry thinking about it. All I can say is, since my issue, they lost me as a customer forever. No MINIs, no BMWs or anything else that may arrive in the future with their name attached to it.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:54 AM
tchain
1st Gear
I doubt they are even making the dealers aware, frankly. Ignorance is bliss for the dealers...

Yeah, I suppose that does sound like something they would do. Make the dealers aware, but tell them not to mention the subject unless specifically pressed by the customer. Makes me so angry thinking about it. All I can say is, since my issue, they lost me as a customer forever. No MINIs, no BMWs or anything else that may arrive in the future with their name attached to it.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:13 AM
DtotheL
Neutral
I recently (just a few days ago) bought a 2007 MCS on 35k miles. It has now shown the death rattle on cold starts in the mornings.

I phoned BMW Mini a couple of days ago, and spoke with a very helpful lady who said that they're now covering timing chain fixes as a result of recent developments in the class action lawsuit. She said she was reading from a service letter, and when I asked for more details (TSB number etc) she offered to forward the document, which sounded great. Unfortunately when the email arrived it was just a link to http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-s...on-settlement/

I then spoke with a guy in the service department, who said they're NOT covering fixes, and nothing has changed as a result of any class action. He said he would check further and call me back, but I've heard nothing.

I emailed the first lady back, asking whether my car would be covered. They then called me, and said that my car was due a timing chain inspection as part of a recall action (from 2013, seems old?), and if the chain measures over a certain length then it'll be replaced free of charge. It's booked in for Monday, so we'll see what happens.

A very confusing and contradictory situation then. I'll update when I learn anything more.

Does anyone have word of anything official from BMW Mini?

Old 01-29-2016, 10:14 AM
DtotheL
Neutral
I recently (just a few days ago) bought a 2007 MCS on 35k miles. It has now shown the death rattle on cold starts in the mornings.

I phoned BMW Mini a couple of days ago, and spoke with a very helpful lady who said that they're now covering timing chain fixes as a result of recent developments in the class action lawsuit. She said she was reading from a service letter, and when I asked for more details (TSB number etc) she offered to forward the document, which sounded great. Unfortunately when the email arrived it was just a link to http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-s...on-settlement/

I then spoke with a guy in the service department, who said they're NOT covering fixes, and nothing has changed as a result of any class action. He said he would check further and call me back, but I've heard nothing.

I emailed the first lady back, asking whether my car would be covered. They then called me, and said that my car was due a timing chain inspection as part of a recall action (from 2013, seems old?), and if the chain measures over a certain length then it'll be replaced free of charge. It's booked in for Monday, so we'll see what happens.

A very confusing and contradictory situation then. I'll update when I learn anything more.

Does anyone have word of anything official from BMW Mini?

Old 01-29-2016, 10:16 AM
MikeZZMini
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As anticipated Mini USA denied my claim for the Timing Chain Kit/Tensioner installation. Have to wait for BMW to do the right thing!

Old 01-29-2016, 10:26 AM
tchain
1st Gear
I recommend that you immediately contact customer relations at 866-ask-mini and let them know that you are well aware of the class action and its current status of being approved by MINI USA and the judge. Make sure they know that you consider this a complete failure of the most basic customer service.

Originally Posted by MikeZZMini
As anticipated Mini USA denied my claim for the Timing Chain Kit/Tensioner installation. Have to wait for BMW to do the right thing!

Old 02-03-2016, 03:55 PM
MicheleB
Neutral
Anyone else encountering dealers that are in denial? My 2007 Mini Cooper S (Series R56, Engine N14) is in the shop at this very moment having the HPFP replaced, I also reported the rattle when I took it in. Now I just got off the phone with the SA, who says they can't look at the Timing Chain unless I pay the inspection fee. I called Mini USA filed a complaint and was able to find the Opinion on the Class Action, which I plan to present to the Manager. Seems to me that it would be in their best interest to be proactive about these type of issues.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm surprised there is no class action lawsuits for all the HPFP failures (after the first one, second one etc.) and all of the defective parts on these R56 2nd Gen Mini Coopers. I would like to see everything come back and bite them where it counts!

Old 02-04-2016, 08:09 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The only one who wins in a class action suit are the lawyer's.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:18 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Called Mini; clueless or more like in denial mode as they fully know.
I was also under the impression that one had to be part of the class action suit.
Not sure why but the law firm mentioned this to me. I signed up 3 years ago and gave a sort of deposition as I was the service manager of a shop that dealt with this issue.
I'm sure the will drag their feet and make it hard to actually get reimbursed.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:52 PM
R56typeS
2nd Gear
I called the local Mini dealer here today, basically asked them where they stood on fixing this issue. The service guy I talked to stammered a bit and then blurted out all those timing chain problems are because people were running their cars low on oil.

I then had to remind him that that probably happened because MINI told people they didnt have to change their oil for 10k miles. Also had to remind him of the lawsuits, the faulty tensioners and stretched chains. He didnt have much to say except bring it in and we'll look at it.

I'm going to buy the timing chain tensioner tool and check the chain stretch myself. I'll then bring it to the dealer and have them measure it...I'm almost hoping they try to give me a different number than what I get.

I honestly dont know what I'm more disgusted at, the incredible crap designs theyve come up with in these cars that cause these problems, or the fact that Mini is so quick and willing to screw the people that are paying their bills. Either way, I cannot wait to sell this POS, I will never buy another BMW Mini, and will do everything in my power to dissuade anyone else from buying these POS cars.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:43 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
The reason he hesitated is because in the moment he was deciding if he should be truthful or should he make a commission off you by scamming you, I guess dealer training kicked in!

I don't differentiate BMW/MINI from the dealers as they both behave fraudulently and are plain and simple "common criminals".

Oh and by the way my manual says every 15,000 miles for oil changes, Mini change it to 10,000 miles after all the problems started.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:18 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Official site from email I just got:

www.TimingChainTensionerSettlement.com

Old 02-19-2016, 05:51 AM
minibdb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by inomis

This should be stickied somewhere.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:49 AM
korby
6th Gear
I had one of the first 07 S's and was one of the first to report this problem after almost getting stuck in Shelter Cove CA , took them 2 years to admit something was wrong even though I could duplicate the issue for them . Sold it the day the warranty was up because I knew this would cause permanent damage to the engine . That and multiple other issues that BMW would always deny before finding a fix months or years later will keep me from ever buying from this company again .

Old 02-19-2016, 07:30 AM
R56typeS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
The reason he hesitated is because in the moment he was deciding if he should be truthful or should he make a commission off you by scamming you, I guess dealer training kicked in!

I don't differentiate BMW/MINI from the dealers as they both behave fraudulently and are plain and simple "common criminals".

Oh and by the way my manual says every 15,000 miles for oil changes, Mini change it to 10,000 miles after all the problems started.
Man you're not kidding. Pretty disgusting.

Originally Posted by inomis

Thank you for posting that. In the questions section of that document, it talks about the extended warranty: "...extension to 7 years/100k miles from the vehicles in-service date."

What is the in-service date?

Old 02-19-2016, 09:27 AM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by R56typeS
..What is the in-service date?
The day it was first sold..

Old 02-19-2016, 09:49 AM
R56typeS
2nd Gear
But that would pretty much negate the 2007-2008 R56s wouldnt it? Mines a 2008 with over 105k miles, does that mean I dont qualify?

Old 02-19-2016, 01:04 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
What I don't understand is about the extended warranty of 7 years or 100,000 miles, my MCS is 8 years old so the warranty is void long before the settlement was finalized, doesn't make any sense. I wonder if the warranty begins at the time the timing chain and timing-chain tensioner was replaced by the Mini dealer?

Old 02-23-2016, 07:20 AM
ultrahuck
2nd Gear
Conundrrum

So about two months ago, I had my 2009 Clubman S 66,000 miles in to the dealer to have the new battery I installed "registered" because I kept getting codes, etc. $250 later . . . . . . yes, you read right, that was taken care of but they told me I needed a new timing chain and tensioner - $2900 and that the work needed to be done immediately and that I should not drive the car.

I had not heard any of the death rattle and the car seemed to be running fine. I told them I would hold off on the repair and that I would price it out with my indy repair guy because their price was excessive.

Today I get the class action paperwork on the timing chain lawsuit in the mail.
They say the class suit is going to be heard in June, 2016 and that any claims for replaced chains and tensioners has to be submitted before the Effective Date of the Settlement, June 20, 2016.

So what is your call? Do I gamble and get the work done in hopes that the Class wins the suit? Sell the car? Anyone else in my situation?

The dealers HAVE TO KNOW about the lawsuit.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:25 AM
ultrahuck
2nd Gear
Yes Systemlord, the 7 year 100,000 extension is pretty much worthless because it begins at the in-service date of the car, which for me was 11/2008.

The extension should be similar to what they did for the HPFP warranty extension which I believe was 10 years or 150,000 miles.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:38 AM
R56typeS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ultrahuck
So about two months ago, I had my 2009 Clubman S 66,000 miles in to the dealer to have the new battery I installed "registered" because I kept getting codes, etc. $250 later . . . . . . yes, you read right, that was taken care of but they told me I needed a new timing chain and tensioner - $2900 and that the work needed to be done immediately and that I should not drive the car.

I had not heard any of the death rattle and the car seemed to be running fine. I told them I would hold off on the repair and that I would price it out with my indy repair guy because their price was excessive.

Today I get the class action paperwork on the timing chain lawsuit in the mail.
They say the class suit is going to be heard in June, 2016 and that any claims for replaced chains and tensioners has to be submitted before the Effective Date of the Settlement, June 20, 2016.

So what is your call? Do I gamble and get the work done in hopes that the Class wins the suit? Sell the car? Anyone else in my situation?

The dealers HAVE TO KNOW about the lawsuit.
I have been in contact with a local dealer here about this, I was told that because the suit isnt finalized, MINI has not informed the dealers...in other words, no sense in admitting guilt until theyre forced to. The line your dealer gave you about not letting you drive home was probably crap, since they told me the same thing, 3 years ago, and all I did was install the updated tensioner. Unfortunately, they might also be right, unless you know the car well, its hard to say just how bad the chain is...July is a long ways away

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Class Action Settlement Confirmed for R56 Timing Chain Issues