Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 08:25 AM
mountainrider
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Filter

What brand oil filter can you use besides the Mini filter?
Thanks William

Old 08-03-2004, 08:29 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I'd also like to know if there are any others besides OEM

Old 08-03-2004, 08:45 AM
LilRedMini
3rd Gear
Purolator offers one and I think they are the OEM. They cost $10 though.

You can get a factory filter from Classic Auto Campus (click on sponser directory) for $6. I ordered a half dozen from them when ordering some other parts.

They are a VERY good parts source. They are friendly, prompt, reliable and best of all, they have great prices. I am not affiliated, only a satisfied customer.

Old 08-03-2004, 09:49 AM
mountainrider
2nd Gear
I thought the Cooper used some sort of micron oil filter.Looks like it would need one to go 10000 between oil changes.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:39 AM
polmear
3rd Gear
Mahle makes an AM filter. I believe they also make the OE filter.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:47 AM
2minis
6th Gear
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

These folks are in Albuquerque. Good deal.

Old 08-03-2004, 01:24 PM
mountainrider
2nd Gear
Wix part number 57303

Old 08-03-2004, 01:31 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Mountainraider,

If I were you I would just buy them from Classic Campus, and get the OEM filter. $6 for a filter, you really can't go wrong. And if you are trying to save another $1 or $2, you are saving it in the wrong place.

Old 08-03-2004, 04:01 PM
mountainrider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dgszweda1
Mountainraider,

If I were you I would just buy them from Classic Campus, and get the OEM filter. $6 for a filter, you really can't go wrong. And if you are trying to save another $1 or $2, you are saving it in the wrong place.
I am not looking for cheap.Just thought someone would have a better filter.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:14 PM
retroom
4th Gear
Speaking about the oil filter... has anyone not been able to unscrew the canister because the dealer installed to tight after an oil change?? This has happened to me twice... and to top it off I can't unscrew the oil drain plug it's over-torqued too!! I guess I'll have to take it back so they can loosen both.

retroom

Old 08-07-2004, 06:33 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
This has been super helpful information. Thanks. I need to pick up a few oil filters.

Speaking of which, what type of oil is everyone using?

Old 08-07-2004, 07:36 PM
paddy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 2minis
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

These folks are in Albuquerque. Good deal.
Did I miss something in the ebay auction???? How many filters did the winning bid get for $24.95?????? I hope more than 4, I only pay $6.75 for the OEM filter at the dealer! ! ! ! ! I think I have found a place on line that is selling them for $4.75, OEM or Maham(sp) or something like that.

As for oil Mobile 1, 5w30 - Walmart $21 for a 5qt jug. :smile:

Old 08-07-2004, 07:50 PM
LilOleCar
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by retroom
Speaking about the oil filter... has anyone not been able to unscrew the canister because the dealer installed to tight after an oil change?? This has happened to me twice... and to top it off I can't unscrew the oil drain plug it's over-torqued too!! I guess I'll have to take it back so they can loosen both.

retroom
That happened to me; after my first oil change, I did the second myself. The oil filter cannister, which is supposed to be somewhere around 12Nm, was cranked up to at least 80 or 90Nm. I am not impressed with Global Imports Mini. The people there are good with customer relations (mostly), but the techs.... not sure about those guys.
-Cor.

Old 08-08-2004, 10:17 AM
apexer
6th Gear
I've been using Redlaine 5W30. IMHO its the best on the market... no cheap... but execllent if your planning on extended change intervals ie: every 10K miles.

Originally Posted by goldcountrymini
This has been super helpful information. Thanks. I need to pick up a few oil filters.

Speaking of which, what type of oil is everyone using?

Old 08-08-2004, 11:51 AM
LilRedMini
3rd Gear
A note about those extended oil change intervals. In engines with timing chains such as our mini's, an extended interval REGARDLESS of oil used, has long term consequences.

Extending the interval allows microscopic grit to accumulate in the oil. For the most part, this small volume of microscopic grit does no harm EXCEPT for the timing chain. This grit will cause premature wear in the links, pins and sideplates of the timing chain.

To me, the fact that these cars have a timing chain rather than a belt is a HUGE advantage. Belts must be changed regularly and typically are a serious PAIN to change in small cars with cramped engine compartments. The fact that the MINI has a chain was a HUGE deciding factor for me in selecting the MINI.

Extending the oil change intervals too much will allow timing chain wear that is typically called "stretch." The metal parts don't stretch, but the small amount of wire in all links adds up to allow the chain to become longer, causing valve timing inaccuracy.

If this were a belted timing engine, long intervals could be very workable and still allow long engine life. If you are willing to replace the chain at 100,000 miles or so, then extended intervals could be workable, but do the math. Changing the chain and components, I would guess would be in the $500 range done by a shop. So how many extra oil changes can you do for $500?

Old 08-08-2004, 04:43 PM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
I just went into an Advance Auto and they had a Purolater Premium Plus filter # L15465 sitting right on the shelf. Interesting, since there is no Mini dealer in town and no Mini's for that matter. These things are obviously not difficult to find. Must fit something else as well.

Old 08-09-2004, 03:58 AM
LilRedMini
3rd Gear
It's really funny to see what is and is not stocked in some stores. JoeDentist finds the correct filter in a store, in a town where he has the only MINI. Before I bought a half dozen from Classic Campus, I went into a Purolator stocking store in Plano, Texas where there is a reasonable number of MINI's and they didn't even have a slot on the shelf for that number.

The engine plant in Brazil was built as a joint venture having to do with Chrysler. At least that is what I read somewhere. Is it being used in any other car besides the MINI?

Old 08-09-2004, 05:38 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LilRedMini
The engine plant in Brazil was built as a joint venture having to do with Chrysler. At least that is what I read somewhere. Is it being used in any other car besides the MINI?
I believe the 1.6 supercharged motor is specific to the Cooper S

The standard 1.6:

A 16-valve, in-line 4-cylinder power plant delivering 114 bhp at 6,000 rpm. Variants of the 1.6L engine power the BMW Mini (Mini One & Mini Cooper models) assembled in England, the DaimlerChrysler PT Cruiser assembled in Mexico and the Chevy A15 assembledin China.

http://www.tritecmotors.com.br/english/motors/16L.htm

Last edited by JustGo4It_; 08-09-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:32 AM
LilRedMini
3rd Gear
Thanks for the info. So now I know that if I need MINI engine parts I can go to my friendly, neighborhood Dodge dealer. The oil filter probably interchanges with the PT Cruiser.

Old 08-12-2004, 06:26 PM
retroom
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LilOleCar
That happened to me; after my first oil change, I did the second myself. The oil filter cannister, which is supposed to be somewhere around 12Nm, was cranked up to at least 80 or 90Nm. I am not impressed with Global Imports Mini. The people there are good with customer relations (mostly), but the techs.... not sure about those guys.
-Cor.
I finally took my car to the dealer to loosen the oil filter canister and oil drain plug. The mechanic says the canister should be tightned to 25Nm. He had to put my car on the lift to loosen the oil drain plug. I'll change the oil and filter this weekend.
I also asked him about the extended oil change interval and he said he doesn't see a problem with it, however, their dealership will change the oil ever 12 months regardless of mileage.

retroom

Old 08-28-2004, 08:19 AM
Splicer
1st Gear
Purolator L15465

I have posted this before, but here it is again.

IF you have am "S" don't use the Purolator filter. It does not have, (Or didn't) the plastic support cage internally. This will cause the following to happen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...er65/Puro2.jpg

The Purolator was intended for the early Base MINI only with the spring loaded canister. This from my conversations with Purolator.

In any aftermarket, check for the internal support!

Paul

Old 08-30-2004, 09:20 AM
bradman
2nd Gear
The Purolator filter works fine as long as you make sure to use the spring-loaded plastic support cage that comes as part of the aluminum canister. (The BMW OEM filters have an additional, somewhat less robust, plastic cage built into them for redundancy.) I have used the Puroilator filters in two oil changes thus far and have had no problems. I think that the problems that some people have had with the Purolator filter is that they did not use the spring loaded plastic cage. I know that when I did the first oil change (at 100 miles...yes, you heard me...man, was the factory oil dark!) the filter was really stuck in the canister, and when I pried it out it pulled the spring-loaded plastic cage out of the aluminum canister. I pulled the plastic cage out of the old filter and secured it back in place in the canister (it snaps back into place) before installing the new (Purolator) filter over it. All of this rasises a question, though. I wonder how many people may have inadvertently tossed out the permanent plastic cage mounted in the canister when they pulled out the oil filter? From Splicer's oil filter pic it looks like it collapsed because it had no internal support (i.e., the plastic cage attached to the canister).

Old 08-30-2004, 12:57 PM
Splicer
1st Gear
Internal Cage

<The Purolator filter works fine as long as you make sure to use the spring-loaded plastic support cage that comes as part of the aluminum canister.>

It is worth noting here that the removable, spring loaded, plastic cage is NOT on every MINI. Thru previous discussion here and with Purolator, it has been determined that many "S" models do not have it. This assembly is the Bypass valve, and on many "S" from late '02 onward, this function/assembly is in the Block and not the canister. In fact , when the filter is removed the canister is empty. In discussion with my dealer, they carry only one filter, use it on both, and it does have the internal cage, therefore eliminating any potential problems for them. If you search the various how-to MINI pages you can find examples and pictures of both.