Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

5 wire to 3 wire cooling fan wiring conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 12:45 PM
lancastered1
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 wire to 3 wire cooling fan wiring conversion

Does anyone have any information, diagrams, wiring diagrams, links, etc. that would help me convert my early (06/02) 2002 R50 5 wire fan setup to the 3 wire setup of later models. My thread search came up empty. This conversion will get the relay off of the fan and separate the cooling fan from the PS pump fan. I understand that some dealers did this conversion back in the day. I am also replacing the stock resistor with the ARCOL resistor. Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lancastered1
Does anyone have any information, diagrams, wiring diagrams, links, etc. that would help me convert my early (06/02) 2002 R50 5 wire fan setup to the 3 wire setup of later models. My thread search came up empty. This conversion will get the relay off of the fan and separate the cooling fan from the PS pump fan. I understand that some dealers did this conversion back in the day. I am also replacing the stock resistor with the ARCOL resistor. Any help is appreciated.
I have not seen any description of that modification and I have been paying attention. The dealers early on separated the fuses between the radiator fan and the PS fan. I have never heard of a 5 to 3 wire conversion.

That said, It takes about an hour to change out a fan after you've done it once or twice. And I have had great success with the Dorman resistor making sure everything is soldered and solid on the install.

Yes, I do wish we could just bridge the crappy OEM resister and be done with it. But I am not sure it is either simple or enough of a benefit to do so.

///Rich