Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

03' Mini Cooper Engine Electrical / DME Issues - Diagnosis and Determination

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:23 PM
jchmini
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
03' Mini Cooper Engine Electrical / DME Issues - Diagnosis and Determination

Hi All,

First off, thanks for stopping by my thread--you guys are always my go to source for figuring out how to fix my Minis!

I recently picked up this 03' MC--chili red, one owner, 58k miles, base 5-spd off Craigslist. I saw a lot of potential given its condition and the issues it's experiencing. Paid $2,750 for the Mini..seems to be my lucky number.

Local Mini of Denver diagnosed this Mini with a faulty DME when the original owner took it in, and suggests replacement at 2k..plus a possibly TB replacement at $700. A new TB was installed/tested by Mini, albeit they still claim that the DME is faulty...they won't guarantee this is a fix for the problem(s) either.

I just don't buy that the DME is fault based on my troubleshooting and findings thus far. There's definitely an electrical/engine issue, but DME failure is not all that common in comparison to things like the engine wiring harness, TB, sensors, etc. The erratic error reporting makes me think it's bad sensor(s) or the wiring loom is damaged.

I have scoured the forums and also taken the Mini back to Mini, and they said this is something they have never seen before, and re-diagnosed the Mini as having a faulty DME.

Upon popping the hood for the first time, I noticed the 02 sensor wiring has chaffed against the manifold and was sparking if wiggled--replaced the 02 sensor that connects the MAF; not expecting a cure but obviously the damaged wiring (and probably sensor) needed replacement. ($250 down).

The Engine temp gauge on this Mini reports at about half temp, no matter how long the car is running or if it's at a cold start. I experience the typical symptoms of limp mode 2 (no revs over 2k, rough idle, stalls, etc). I can drive the Mini, although, it remains in limp mode and exhibits the typical behavior of such mode.

Through INPA I was able to catch this fault only once, regarding the coolant temp being below the regulating temperature. I went to replace the thermostat and coolant temp sensor, albeit I broke the thermostat housing, so I'm waiting on that to come in.

Error 296: Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temp. Reading Below Thermostat Regulating Temp)

In the interim, I'm hoping to get some electrical/engine expert eyes on this thread for their 2cents.

The most obvious issue is with the the throttle body voltage. Reading the BMW manual, two voltages (one live, one reference) are taken to "balance" out the throttle and find an equilibrium operating voltage. This is where the P0653 code, sensor reference b voltage too high, logically aligns. Mini stated they replaced the TB and tested again the TB voltage was still out of alignment; their findings deemed that the DME was sending out to much voltage on PIN4.

I caught some weird things in INPA with CAM, and I wonder if there's a bad sensor there, as well as a possible faulty MAF sensor, coolant temp sensor, and CAM sensor(s).

I don't want to replace a million thins to end up at the same result as Mini came to; a fault DME...but from my technical background and diligence in reading about DME issues, it seems to me there's something else at work.

I could either start down the list of replacing sensors etc, or I could pick up a used DME, EWS and Ignition cylinder and rule out the DME from the get go.

Just trying to get some opinions on the issue, I have attached some screenshots/findings from INPA diags.

Attached Thumbnails 03' Mini Cooper Engine Electrical / DME Issues - Diagnosis and Determination-screen-shot-2015-05-24-at-9.14.12-pm.jpg   03' Mini Cooper Engine Electrical / DME Issues - Diagnosis and Determination-screen-shot-2015-05-24-at-8.04.26-pm.jpg   03' Mini Cooper Engine Electrical / DME Issues - Diagnosis and Determination-screen-shot-2015-05-24-at-9.03.52-pm.jpg  
Old 06-01-2015, 12:32 PM
jchmini
Neutral
Looking further at the BMW Engine Management doc for the Mini R50...

I see that that this Minis DME is reporting the intake manifold pressure over 800hpa, which is way over the maximum allowance for the the TMAP and MAF sensor(s).

Wondering if these are bad or if I have low a vacuum condition...?

Old 06-01-2015, 03:38 PM
jchmini
Neutral
Tech notes...
P0707 - fault code

Attached Thumbnails 03' Mini Cooper Engine Electrical / DME Issues - Diagnosis and Determination-screen-shot-2015-06-01-at-4.36.34-pm.jpg  

Last edited by jchmini; 06-01-2015 at 03:40 PM. Reason: incorrect information
The following users liked this post:
Gennie (07-04-2021)
Old 06-15-2015, 10:37 PM
jchmini
Neutral
So far, so good!

Hi Friends, just wanted to post an update to my problem; I almost gave up on this one. I had my local dealer reevaluate the R-50 and once again diagnosed it with a fault DME. Between the time of the second diagnosis and now, I have done a lot of troubleshooting and learning to get to the bottom of this...for some reason the evidence just didn't add up to me, as a software engineer, the logic my local service center had was off.

Just to recap; this Mini was diagnosed with a faulty DME and Throttle Body, Coolant Temp Sensor, Coolant Thermostat, and several other things but aside from the DME, I replaced them all. The thermostat housing broke after light pressure was applied during investigation of the Coolant Temp. Sensor; the plastic housing tubes looked pretty weathered and snapped off in the hoses (messy)!

After ordering parts and getting the Coolant Temp Sensor, Thermostat & Housing, and Throttle Body (OEM)..the car still didn't come out of limp mode. I downloaded and learned WinkFKP, DIS+, GT1, and INPA so I could get to the bottom of this. Everything seemed ok once I finally got things going, aside from a persistent DME error code "1619". Sensor Reference Voltage B - Output High. One of he TB potentiometers showed "5V!" for position two, the cross checked signal, so something was still wrong. I noticed that the MAF values were all a whack, so I replaced that sensor too, thinking I had solved the problem. Still nothing. New spark plugs and cables. Still nothing.

At this point, I was starting to believe my local service center was right and my R50 was afflicted with a faulty DME. I decided to take the batter, air box, and throttle body off again to look at the wiring loom behind the break booster. The only time I had gotten the card out of limp mode, was after reaching my hand near the break booster (Engine Wiring Loom rest in the back), I noticed that there was some electrical tape/shielding different than the OEM matte shield. I unwrapped it and found that three of the wires had been cut and reconnected, in addition to chaffed wires in the shaft of the loom tucked up agains the car. I made the necessary repairs, cleared the DME codes, and the car started for the first time out of limp mode at idle.

Not too longer after, the yellow EML & DSC lights came back on and I thought I was back to square one. Checking the voltages and resistance again, I realized that the ground loop was not closing, and completed the circle from the battery ground terminal to another ground point on the vehicle. Doing this once, caused the EML and DSC lights to remain off. I drove the car about 60 miles today and did a seafoam treatment, this R50 is driving better than I could have ever expected.

I just wanted to share the outcome of my R50 experience, as it was rather tumultuous and draining, I was determined to figure it out myself. I have lost all faith in my local Mini dealership. Although on the bright side, I got a crash course in the Mini R50, diag tools, and the engine compartment...oh yeah, and didn't have to replace the DME!

The following users liked this post:
WhoHasGotTheBlueS (10-19-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 02:44 PM
jchmini
Neutral
Just to update...after several hundred/thousand miles there was no recurrence of this issue and the Mini continues to run great after repairing the wiring loom. Moral of the story, stay diligent, and never trust the Mini service center (namely Schomp Mini in Denver).

Old 03-16-2024, 03:37 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I can't believe that nobody else has posted on this thread. 9 years later and i am experiencing similar strange behavior.

1. No low or high radiator fan. No voltage on ecu side of harness.
2. Cannot connect to DME via OBDII scanner but dme2 works.
3. I saw the airbag light flash 5 times while idling wtf!!! And then it stayed off wtf!!!
4. Replaced 6 year old agm battery that was at 11v and putting out only 330 of 800 CCA!!!
5. No power steering fan.
6. No AC.

Btw my daughter spilled coffee on my keyboard so I typed this entire post one click at a time wtf!!!@1