Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Anyone else pull the shift knob off during "spirited" driving?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 03:35 PM
2Cool
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else pull the shift **** off during "spirited" driving?

Just had a Lancer OZ (heh, I know, slow car) try to walk away from me around a tight 1st gear 90 degree turn... when I was going by him (legal passing zone) I went from first to 2nd... squealed the tires nice and suddenly I was holding the shift **** at about shoulder level. Annoying. Fit it back on by feel (while still accelerating, of course) in time for the 2-3 shift, then whacked it into place before easing off and going into 4th.

Anyone else have this happen? Or am I just too used to waylaying my supercharged Mustang GT and transfering that overly aggressive shifting to my handling finesse car?

Old 07-12-2004, 03:49 PM
DragonSlayer
4th Gear
Me thinks you need to get a grip

Old 07-12-2004, 05:20 PM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
either that of better glue...... plus, obviouslu¿y STOP PLAYING WITH YOUR ****!!! It is liable to make you blind......

Old 07-12-2004, 05:23 PM
2Cool
4th Gear
Hah! Not my fault the damn thing is a slip fit and not a proper screw on device! Proven fact that screwing is much better than yanking.

Old 07-12-2004, 05:26 PM
jinubob81
4th Gear
plus god kills a kitten everytime you pull off your ****.

god is so cruel...

Last edited by jinubob81; 07-12-2004 at 05:27 PM. Reason: pic!
Old 07-12-2004, 06:07 PM
CharlesWil
5th Gear
jinubob81
Your link had a 4 letter word in it. Didn't think you could get that past NAMs auto 4 letter word censor did you? Try the link below.
Charles

Kittens.htm

Last edited by CharlesWil; 07-12-2004 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Added Kitten Link
Old 07-12-2004, 06:37 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I did this with my Whalen, on one of my first mountain drives. Somehow I was playing with the ****, probably pulling up on the sleeve as I waited for us to get going, and I wasn't paying attention. Then when I proceeded to shift into first gear as I noticed the front car pulling away, I had the **** in my hand. It's never happened again, and I can only attribute that to my own fault for being mindless, and enjoying the feel of something so cool, when I should have been paying attention to my driving.

Originally Posted by 2Cool
Just had a Lancer OZ (heh, I know, slow car) try to walk away from me around a tight 1st gear 90 degree turn... when I was going by him (legal passing zone) I went from first to 2nd... squealed the tires nice and suddenly I was holding the shift **** at about shoulder level. Annoying. Fit it back on by feel (while still accelerating, of course) in time for the 2-3 shift, then whacked it into place before easing off and going into 4th.

Anyone else have this happen? Or am I just too used to waylaying my supercharged Mustang GT and transfering that overly aggressive shifting to my handling finesse car?

Old 07-12-2004, 06:46 PM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I did this with my Whalen, on one of my first mountain drives. Somehow I was playing with the ****, probably pulling up on the sleeve as I waited for us to get going, and I wasn't paying attention. Then when I proceeded to shift into first gear as I noticed the front car pulling away, I had the **** in my hand. It's never happened again, and I can only attribute that to my own fault for being mindless, and enjoying the feel of something so cool, when I should have been paying attention to my driving.
Like I said....QUIT PLAYING WITH YOUR ****...... I swear, you're gonna go blind.....

speaking of shift *****, so I am building mah race car and I go to my friend's machine shop and make this really trick aluminum threaded rod to which I attach this nifty knurled hand grip. Three races later, the sucker breaks in the middle of a race..... now I have a REAL cool 7/8" grade 8 bolt! the hell with my glove......and with cool looking thingys....

Old 07-12-2004, 07:14 PM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There has been some studies that indicate the frequency of "release" reduces the risk of prostate cancer.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4676076/

So guys, your future health might really be in your hands.

click pic for better view :D
His, Chile RED over, Madness intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Helix 15% Pulley & RDR Swaybar
Hers, Electric Blue / Union Jack on top and BONE Stock

Old 07-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
^^ I knew it! This confirms my "intuition"

I admit I do hold my **** while driving sometimes; it just feels so nice and big and hard in my hand I'm never one to ruthless abuse my ****, however, and as such, I've never pulled it off its shaft! (whew, thank goodness for that!)

Old 07-13-2004, 02:31 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
Holding your **** while driving might prevent some men's prostate from going bad.....but the crash would surely kill them......

Old 07-13-2004, 03:09 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
This quick release problem you’re having is known better premature knobulation.

Old 07-13-2004, 10:30 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
...and suddenly I was holding the shift **** at about shoulder level...
I understand that there's a replacement **** covered under warranty. Pull off the **** (wince), and there's two tabs inside. I put an o-ring around the outside of these so that the interference fit was tighter.

Ooof. Man the jokes are gonna be bad after this one....

Jeff

Old 07-13-2004, 10:37 AM
fishey72
5th Gear
Taco Bell usually makes me replace my O-Ring, not pulling off my ****.

Old 07-13-2004, 10:37 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ducky,

You O-ringed your shaft??!!! Ouch !

Oh the humanity, er no... oh the Eunich-ity.

Old 07-13-2004, 10:46 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>...and suddenly I was holding the shift **** at about shoulder level.

Ive yet to grab my ball that hard.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:21 PM
friedduck
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MGCMAN
Ducky,

You O-ringed your shaft??!!! Ouch !

Oh the humanity, er no... oh the Eunich-ity.
LOL! You're going to make me spill my drink.

And no one jumps on 'interference fit'? You guys are slacking!

Old 07-13-2004, 08:58 PM
seashelly
4th Gear
Bwaaahaaaahaaaaahaaaaa! ROTFLMAO

Being a chick, (and no spring chicken) I don't worry too much about pulling my **** off, but can't imagine how you managed to yank that thing off while driving! You must have been playing with it before that.
'Cause I just replaced the shift boot on my car today, and it takes more than a one-two yank to pull that ball loose. A little more finesse did the job though.

And now my car has nice new leather boots.

Shelly

Old 07-21-2004, 10:54 AM
pefloresjr
3rd Gear
Yeeecccchhh! Now I have to pour out my really expensive bottle of **** Creek Whiskey. Damn you guys and your **** yankin'.

Cheers,

Old 07-22-2004, 09:53 AM
Kyle
3rd Gear

All joking aside this is a very common thing among BMWs with the same type shift ****. The problem is the **** simply clicks into place and over time it loosens up. A friend of mine has a BMW 318 that has the **** come off in my hand every time I do an even slightly harder than average shift. You can solve the problem by getting a Whalen **** or some other kind that has a set screw (UUC), either way will keep the **** on.

Old 07-24-2004, 12:33 AM
kbseto
5th Gear
i was driving spritedly thru an old naval air base station when i suddenly found my oem **** in my hand. slid it back on and continued shifting, but eventually on close inspection saw that it had actually cracked thru the plastic threading.

a month or two earlier i had the b&m short shifter installed and had requested the oem **** to be retained as i liked its larger rounded feel. after cracking it, i had to resort to the b&m **** and actually liked the slightly smaller, more squarish feel. and best of all the cool metallic feel.

and i haven't had any ****-slipping since.

Old 07-24-2004, 05:17 AM
ncdave
5th Gear
This is the funniest thread in a long while.

What was the original question again?

Old 07-24-2004, 06:51 AM
section8
2nd Gear
Thats strange, I just did a Google search on "Yanking my ****" and was directed to this thred.

Old 07-30-2004, 03:51 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
Two years plus with the MC and never had a problem with the **** coming off the stem. When you shift, hold your **** and push the stick forward or back horizontally (depending on whether you're upshifting or downshifting), not applying upward, i.e., pulling, pressure on the ****.

Some people also hold their **** palm up instead of palm down. The former is certain to increase the likelihood of your pulling your **** off.

And no, you won't go blind because of this

Old 07-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
318 curves in 11 miles, and I resisted the urge to pull my **** off - several times around! I surely yanked it many times though

Quick Reply: Anyone else pull the shift knob off during "spirited" driving?