Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

08 MCS N14 - Remove only Engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:39 PM
PudgyMech
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 MCS N14 - Remove only Engine ?

Can the N14 engine be removed from the R56 without removing the transmission?

PudgyMech

Old 10-22-2014, 05:31 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You can't really remove just the engine. How are you planning on getting the engine out? Lifting out the top?

If you tried really hard it might be possible. The problem is there are only two motor mounts really holding the engine in the car. The one on the passenger side and the one on the drivers side bolted to the transmission. If you want to pull the engine you would still have to disconnect the transmission-side motor mount to give you enough room to separate the motor/trans to clear the trans input shaft. And honestly if you're at that point the only thing holding the trans in the car is the shift cables and the axles. The shift cables are super easy to remove and the axles aren't hard either. Just pop the outer ball joint to give you room to move the knuckle and then pop the axles out of the trans. You don't have to remove the axles from the car completely so you can keep the axle nut torqued. The passenger side axle has a bearing that bolts to the engine block you're going to have to unbolt anyways so the passenger side axle is also easy to remove from the trans.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:06 AM
PudgyMech
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the rundown. That sounds easy enough. I thought I would have to completely remove the axles. Time to go get a crane to lift the engine/trans.
PudgyMech

Old 10-22-2014, 10:34 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PudgyMech
Originally Posted by [URL="https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/members/136578-v10climber.html"
v10climber[/URL]]You can't really remove just the engine. How are you planning on getting the engine out? Lifting out the top?

If you tried really hard it might be possible. The problem is there are only two motor mounts really holding the engine in the car. The one on the passenger side and the one on the drivers side bolted to the transmission. If you want to pull the engine you would still have to disconnect the transmission-side motor mount to give you enough room to separate the motor/trans to clear the trans input shaft. And honestly if you're at that point the only thing holding the trans in the car is the shift cables and the axles.
Thanks for the rundown. That sounds easy enough. I thought I would have to completely remove the axles. Time to go get a crane to lift the engine/trans.
PudgyMech
+1 on pulling the tranny with the engine - delta effort is minimal, and you can properly service the transmission "while you are at it".

BTDT this spring, when I was swapping my N14 engines. A fairly straight forward job - just label all the electrical connections and coolant lines to minimize confusion during re-assembly.

Pics in my album.
Semi-detailed writeup elsewhere in this forum.

Feel free to PM if you have any Qs.

a