Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rich vs Lean

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Rossii
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YUP! Its the crap gas here in Cali... The car does not "ping" using Super unleaded. Only in Cali can we have multiple refineries with a 100 mile radius (Bay Area) plus pay $2.25+ per gallon......and STILL have crap gas

Old 03-12-2005, 07:42 PM
mpimini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed a ram air intake and the engine seems to be running really rich. Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do to fix the problem? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They come that way stock!!!!!

The exhaust pipes get black without the ram air! The ECU upgrades are really the only way to fix it.......
Matt

Originally Posted by mpimini
I installed a ram air intake and the engine seems to be running really rich. Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do to fix the problem? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-13-2005, 06:16 AM
mpimini
Neutral
Thanks Matt. But before the install did not have a problem with black smoke coming out at hard throttle. Any suggestions? Maybe I never noticed but a buddy of mine was behind me yesterday and said it was pretty bad. Is this normal? If it is then I don't care but I wanted to make sure before leaving the intake on there. Thanks Reg

Old 03-13-2005, 06:39 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Only one way to know for sure...

Take off the Ram Air, and have your buddy follow you. The Mini's are known to run rich.... But I don't really see how an intake can change that too much. True Ram Air effects aren't large, unless you're going very fast and have a HUGE scoop!

Matt

Originally Posted by mpimini
Thanks Matt. But before the install did not have a problem with black smoke coming out at hard throttle. Any suggestions? Maybe I never noticed but a buddy of mine was behind me yesterday and said it was pretty bad. Is this normal? If it is then I don't care but I wanted to make sure before leaving the intake on there. Thanks Reg

Old 03-13-2005, 07:37 PM
mpimini
Neutral
Thanks! I was wondering what all resetting the ecu will reset? I saw where someone had said it will reset somethings that you might not want reset. Like what? I thought I might try that and see. I have not noticed a difference in gas mileage yet but I only installed it Thursday of last week. I hope we are talking about the same thing. I order a short ram air intake and it runs to the factory air box location. Just wanted to make sure we where on the same page. Thanks again for all your help. Reg:smile: