Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

High Pressure Fuel Pump failure symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 02:26 PM
genik
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
High Pressure Fuel Pump failure symptoms

When the HPFP is having failure problems or is dead, what are the symptoms that the driver might face? Or in other words what will the driver experience in order to be certain of it the HPFP's failure?

Old 01-13-2014, 04:11 PM
the matey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by genik
When the HPFP is having failure problems or is dead, what are the symptoms that the driver might face? Or in other words what will the driver experience in order to be certain of it the HPFP's failure?
On cold starts the engine knocks and may even stall a few times before starting. RPM's dip below 1k.

The following users liked this post:
Jeffrey Daitz (10-12-2022)
Old 01-13-2014, 04:20 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When first starting the car, you'll most likely experience either stalling, hard starts, and trouble running right. You should get a check engine light and codes will lead to the HPFP. I hear there are specific codes indicating that's what is wrong. You may also get misfire codes. Car will not run well.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Bendz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car also went into a "engine safe mode" where it just wouldn't give me the power I normally had. On a really cold day it was very difficult to drive.

I took mine to 2 shops, the first one did not have the Mini/BMW software therefore was getting the misleading misfiring codes - P0304, P0302, and P0301-Misfires in the specific cylinders. The second shop that had the software and pulled the codes and found the 2880 High Pressure System code.

While troubleshooting they found the high pressure pump was below 1 bar and it should be at least 5 bar. As the car warmed up it began to function normally.

Per Mini TSB SI M01 04 10 the dealer replaced the HPFP.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:36 PM
genik
5th Gear
Im already experiencing low boost but its happening only above 3000revs and its not a consistent issue. Some days it happens and others its not. Is that something that happens with HPFP failure, is it an issue thats coming and going?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
You may have either a boost leak somewhere at a coupler, OR, most likely a faulty diverter valve. The diaphragm in the stock diverter valve's tear. If you are certain it's a boost issue, that's the first thing I would look at. It's common enough.

Maybe give more details on how often it happens and exactly how the car acts and how you came to the conclusion of "low boost".

Also, are you getting a check engine light in the dash? It wouldn't be a bad idea to get to a parts store like AutoZone and have them read and print out the trouble codes. That will give you more insight on what's happening.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:39 AM
genik
5th Gear
Code is a P2187 but i don't know if that has to do with the low boost over 3000rpm!

Old 01-14-2014, 10:29 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
2187 is System too lean Cylinder 1. If that's your only code, could be a bad or clogged injector, could be something more. If that is definitely the ONLY code you're getting, I would start focusing on that cylinder. Have you thought to bring it to the dealership? If it is the HPFP(too lean would definitely lend me to a fuel issue), it's free fix. My dealer screws you every chance they get other than on diagnostic. I have never paid a diagnostic fee.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:20 PM
genik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
If it is the HPFP(too lean would definitely lend me to a fuel issue), it's free fix.
How is it a free fix?

Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
MINI issued a 10 year/120K mile warranty on the High Pressure Injection Pump because they commonly fail. If you are within that time/mileage you will not pay for that fix.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:13 PM
genik
5th Gear
That warranty stands for Europe too?

Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 PM
rigga
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No America only ....currently in discussion with mini uk as to why we do not have the same warranty on the fuel pump, and recent timing chain recall.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:56 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
That warranty stands for Europe too?
Sorry I did not see it listed or mentioned anywhere that you were in Europe. The recall and warranty items that I know of cover the cars in the United States, I am unsure of anywhere else that they issued such coverage.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:33 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Mine was a "cold start" problem --- crank normal, then catch (try to fire), then stall. It wouldn't stay running. With lotsa "pumping the pedal" while "trying to catch", it would finally stay running. Only happened after an overnight stay (in my garage), AND, after I did some hard driving, with high RPM / boost the previous day. Dealer had to see a code that never did show on my AccessPort, so after two days in the shop, I took it out, drove it hard, then took it back. They duplicated the failure, found the code, and replaced the HPFP.

Hope this helps ---

abdullah cetinbas (05-01-2021)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
Mine had half power mode at random times when really cold out (<30*) and then one day it came half power with a real CEL, deeply scanned with snap-on computer and found an associated 2C01 code for high pressure plausibility. No P codes, just 1 code. My mini tech friend said yup! HPFP- replace it before the car doesn't start at all. No noticeable drivability issues though when the half power warning didnt come up.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:47 PM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
So, I had my HPFP replaced by MINI last month. Today I noticed that when I downshifted and floored the gas pedal, the car hesitates and hiccups/jerks. It never did this before the HPFP went out.It feels like it's not getting a steady gas flow when that happens. Only happens when I lay into it and floor the gas.

Any ideas?

Old 01-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalledFriend
So, I had my HPFP replaced by MINI last month. Today I noticed that when I downshifted and floored the gas pedal, the car hesitates and hiccups/jerks. It never did this before the HPFP went out.It feels like it's not getting a steady gas flow when that happens. Only happens when I lay into it and floor the gas.

Any ideas?
Another defective HPFP? Perhaps the fuel injectors are clogged or are defective, maybe a bad coil is my best guess. The fuel injectors have two stages, a lower power state for when you're off the gas pedal (idling or coasting downhill) and when on the gas pedal. Could the failing HPFP cause the other one in the tank to go bad?

Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 PM
hlamin
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bendz
While troubleshooting they found the high pressure pump was below 1 bar and it should be at least 5 bar. As the car warmed up it began to function normally.
HPFP give 50 bar at idle and up to 120 bar when driving.
Fuel Pump in fuel tank give 5 bar.

In BMW diagnosting tools the pressure showed in MPa. 5 MPa = 50 Bar.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:54 PM
hlamin
1st Gear
Code is a P2187 but i don't know if that has to do with the low boost over 3000rpm!
Genik,

as i told to you at another thread i have the same code.
I replaced HPFP at last weekend and it didn't fix the issue.

And you didn't lost boost after 3000 rpm.
ECU of your car detect the Pb with something and increase additive and/or multiplicative correction of O2 sensor. After it correction reaches 4-6% ECU get the engine in "safe mode" and it lost power after 4k rpm.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:36 PM
genik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hlamin
Genik,
as i told to you at another thread i have the same code.
I replaced HPFP at last weekend and it didn't fix the issue.

And you didn't lost boost after 3000 rpm.
ECU of your car detect the Pb with something and increase additive and/or multiplicative correction of O2 sensor. After it correction reaches 4-6% ECU get the engine in "safe mode" and it lost power after 4k rpm.
Im sorry but i cannot understand what you are saying, can you please rephrase your reply cause my english probably isn't adequate enough!

Old 01-22-2014, 03:19 PM
bmx045
4th Gear
Im sorry but i cannot understand what you are saying, can you please rephrase your reply cause my english probably isn't adequate enough!
he's saying if your DME has to adjust fuel more than 4-6% because of an issue, you'll get a CEL. which is true, commonly rich or lean condition. there's various causes for the DME to have to compensate to target the correct air fuel ratio.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:36 PM
hlamin
1st Gear
I have the same error code that you have.
I have BMW diagnostic tool named DIS.
I check the error with this tool.
ALSO I saw that additive correction of O2 sensor is too much increesed. It is mean that air/fuel ratio is too lean. FUEL less than need.
After it correction reach 4-6% ECU write error and swich on CEL.
After you had CEL the car get to "safe mode" because it have some issue. It try to protect engine from damage. It is a reason because you loss power after 4000 rpm.

I did the test.
Clear error code and take a run. Car run perfectly, i can reach 7500 rpm very fast with huge acceleration, but after some time CEL comes again and again car get to "safe mode" and agian I had power loss after 4000 rpm.

I replaced HPFP at this weekend and it didn't help.

I hope now it will be clear for you.

Originally Posted by bmx045
he's saying if your DME has to adjust fuel more than 4-6% because of an issue, you'll get a CEL. which is true, commonly rich or lean condition. there's various causes for the DME to have to compensate to target the correct air fuel ratio.
Bull's eye!

Old 01-30-2014, 04:47 PM
genik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bmx045
1. Im sorry guys, im just not a technician and i still havent gpt any clue on what you are talking about?
2. What is a DME and what can i do to get back the power
3. How can i be 100% certain its the HPFP or not? Is there someway to check for certain?

Old 01-31-2014, 12:23 AM
hlamin
1st Gear
1. Im sorry guys, im just not a technician and i still havent gpt any clue on what you are talking about?
2. What is a DME and what can i do to get back the power
3. How can i be 100% certain its the HPFP or not? Is there someway to check for certain?
Hi genik,

2. DME = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_control_unit.

3. There is no 100% method.

good news for you. I fixed my issue.

I checked:
- fuel pressure from fuel pump in gas tank, it should be near 5 Bar and High pressure fuel pump(aslo i replaced HPFP for certain that it ok)

- Valvetrain

- Tried to find air leaks in intake

At last step i replaced fuel injectors and gaskets between intake manifold and engine. ALSO i disassembled and reassembled all intake rubber pipes between intercooler and engine.

From that moment car run perfectly. Error don't appear.

I suppose the root of Pb is air leak in intake.
But I think I still have a very little air leak in intake, but it became less then was before disassembling and less affect to engine work.

Take a look on corrections.

Before:

After:

briane (12-12-2017)
Old 02-06-2014, 03:13 AM
neonsteve
4th Gear
I had sudden stalling and misfire codes (read with AccessPort) on my 2009 Clubman S around 55,000 miles. Initially it was cylinder 3, then 1, then all cylinders. Stalling occured only on cold starts or after sitting for 30 minutes or more, slowly getting worse over a couple months. CEL would come on when engine stalled/stumbled.

Had my local Mini shop do the intake valve walnut shell blasting for $440. Did not help, but did improve power and throttle response a lot (recommend). Dealership wanted to charge me a lot more to redo the blasting as part of their diagnosis steps, but didn't (they took pity on me and bypassed this step since it was already done). Dealer's diagnosis showed that the HPFP was not the issue (no specific fuel pressure codes, and good pressure I suppose) but they replaced it anyway. This completely fixed the problem!

Bring the car in with the CEL light on and bring photos or evidence of your misfire codes. Tell them my story. Maybe you'll get lucky. HPFP warranty is 10 years or 120,000 miles if I am not mistaken.

These were my codes:
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P2781 Misfire Mult Cyl Max
P2779 Misfire Cyl 4 Max
P277D Misfire Cyl 2 Max
P2783 Misfire Mult Cyl Error
P277B Misfire Cyl 4 Error
P277F Misfire Cyl 2 Error
P2773 Misfire Cyl 1 Error

One more thing... When the car eventually stumbled under hard acceleration and set the CEL, that's when I took it I to the dealership. Prior to that it only stumbled and stalled during cold starts or after sitting. It would set the CEL then too most of the time but it would run fine after 30 seconds or so after the stumbling went away.

Quick Reply: High Pressure Fuel Pump failure symptoms