Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Mixture of issues, Airbag, Trifecta, Dying Speedometer, etc!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 01:10 AM
MrGTFJD
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mixture of issues, Airbag, Trifecta, Dying Speedometer, etc!!

02 R53

A few weeks ago I got the Service Engine Soon, DSC, ABS lights on. I had the codes ran by a local shop that specializes in BMW and it came back P1613 Module Error: which from what i gather is likely a Wheel Sensor needing replacement or possibly a fray somewhere.

Then my airbag light comes on.

Now a few days ago my speedometer dies out on me, and when that happened my BRAKE and Tire Pressure lights also came on. After driving for a bit the speedo sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. But regardless the original CEL, DSC, ABS lights stayed on, and the TPS and BRAKE lights would pop on whenever the speedo felt like not working.

Some trips it lasts miles working fine (the speedo at least) and sometimes it doesn't work for my whole commute home which is about 30 miles each way.

I had the codes run the other day and they came back as follows (I've got a stack of papers he gave me so I'll attach an image of the page he said had the "info you'd need."

For the power supply to airbag I did have a lot of corrosion in that super fuse section terminal in the battery compartment. I cleaned that up perfectly and I haven't had a chance to have him reset and retest since then. If that even matters.

Seems my main returning faults are ABS pressure circuit and airbag safety terminal (Which I've since cleaned, but hasn't been reset yet)

Stuck. And I'd like to save my bonus money than spend it having someone fix my MINI if it's something I can possibly do myself.

THANKS!!! I also have all the paperwork he gave me if that helps for troubleshooting.

Attached Thumbnails Mixture of issues, Airbag, Trifecta, Dying Speedometer, etc!!-image-3744895915.jpg   Mixture of issues, Airbag, Trifecta, Dying Speedometer, etc!!-image-3722302231.jpg  

Last edited by MrGTFJD; 12-19-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:46 PM
gotoxic
Neutral
Have you checked that the altenator and the battery is in good shape?
A bad battery or a faulty alternator could give you all kinds of strange errors.

I had all kinds of warning lights come on while driving my 04 JCW. I luckily have a voltage-gauge installed, that steadily went lower and lower, which told me that something was wrong with the power delivery.

I bought a new battery, thinking that would cure it, but I unfortunately ended up in the same situation a week later.

It turned out that the actual culprit to all of this, was a corroded post at the alternator, where the positive lead connects Problem is, you will have take apart the entire front of the car to get to it...

Hope this helps you in any way!

Old 12-20-2012, 06:46 PM
MrGTFJD
Neutral
Originally Posted by gotoxic
Have you checked that the altenator and the battery is in good shape?
A bad battery or a faulty alternator could give you all kinds of strange errors.

I had all kinds of warning lights come on while driving my 04 JCW. I luckily have a voltage-gauge installed, that steadily went lower and lower, which told me that something was wrong with the power delivery.

I bought a new battery, thinking that would cure it, but I unfortunately ended up in the same situation a week later.

It turned out that the actual culprit to all of this, was a corroded post at the alternator, where the positive lead connects Problem is, you will have take apart the entire front of the car to get to it...

Hope this helps you in any way!
I removed the battery and cleaned the connections, I also cleaned the connections to the airbag relay wires that are right along side it. No changes after that.

I does seem like it could be something loose because it seems to come and go as it pleases. Some people have issues with the ECM getting wet but we've had three week dry spells and I've had it happen off and on the entire time.

In fact, if I start up the car and don't have the issue at the moment, and turn the wheel back and forth or jump around in the car, it can trip the issue. So my senses jump to something being loose, corroded, frayed, or just generally not maintaining a stable connection.

You're the first post I've seen regarding that alternator issue. I will check the stability of my voltages!!! Thanks!!

Old 12-21-2012, 01:34 AM
gotoxic
Neutral
I used to have the same intermittent problems. Sometimes it could go a month in between issuses. Your description on how to trip the issue, leads me to believe even more that your alternator is at fault.

If you have an alternator that doesn't deliver a steady 14V current, starting the car and the turning the wheel a couple of times, quickly depletes the battery of any charge that it had managed to store. As you might already know, we have an electric power steering pump on our 1st gen Minis, which draws BIG currents when for example parallell parking.

In a healthy electric system, the battery should only be used when starting the car. The rest of your electric equipment in your car, should be provided current by the alternator, also delivering recharge current to the battery.

Looking at the voltmeter (even in my now healthy system), it quickly drops from 14V (which is what the system should be at when running) to around 12V when turning the wheel a couple of times. Revving the engine briefly puts the system back to 14V again.

I have the aftermarket Mini Challenge gauges in the center console, if you'd like to source the somewhere. It also holds a oil temp gauge, both really useful for everyday diagnostics. I also track my car, so the oil temp gauge is actually cruical...

BR
Simon