Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53 Making obnoxious clicking, with video.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 AM
thetboneguy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 Making obnoxious clicking, with video.

Hey guys! I hope this is in the right section, if it's not just let me know and I'll move it! Was hoping that you'd help me be able to get an idea for what to look for. '05 R53 started making some sort of chattery noise, but only some of the time.

Symptoms:
  • Just started out of the blue
  • Only makes the noise with light throttle, or maintaining throttle position, stops immedeatley if I let off the gas or floor it.
  • Seems prevalent at 2000 rpm in neutral, but there are some other positions that it does make noise
  • As far as I can tell, there's no power loss, minimal if any.

My experience with working on this car is limited to: CAI, 15% pulley, Clutch and flywheel change. In addition, I need to go by and see what the code is being tripped for the check engine light. I'm not sure if it's been tripped again by whatever this is because just last week it went off for the O ring on the gas cap, which I haven't replaced yet. There may or may not be a new code, but the auto store was closed by the time I had the chance to check.

Here's a video of the chatter from behind the wheel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE2Gr...ature=youtu.be

The only thing I can think of that seems to come close is the harmonic balancer, seen in this other youtube video:

Any thoughts on things I need to be checking?

Old 09-30-2012, 11:55 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
If you have a floor jack and set of stands, I would consider removing the RF wheel, remove a few of the expansion clips and peel back the fender liner for a better look at the HB.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:50 PM
thetboneguy
Neutral
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
If you have a floor jack and set of stands, I would consider removing the RF wheel, remove a few of the expansion clips and peel back the fender liner for a better look at the HB.
Sorry for the late reply, been busy all day! Just finished checking the HB, and it seems to be in good shape. The sound also seems to be coming from deeper in the bay, but no one that's listened can really tell where from. In the next couple days, we'll begin to start looking deeper. I'm stumped honestly.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:06 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Only seen a few cases but could be the sound of the timing chain having too much deflection or slack.

The tensioner bolt is spring loaded operating inside a sleeve which is contracted when new in the box and then extends under oil pressure applying pressure to the back of the tensioner arm...

There is a cap with O-ring seal which covers the back of the bolt after it's inserted.

The bolt here #6. When high mileage if part 6 needs to be repalced I would also replace the cap/O-ring part #7.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM
thetboneguy
Neutral
Excellent! Thanks for the help! That's next to check on the list! I'll post back later if that was it or not!

Old 10-01-2012, 02:58 AM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a thought but maybe the belt tensioner ?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:34 PM
TheMINIwhisperer
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would also remove the wheel and pull back the fender liner, run the engine and look at the belt/ belt tensioner area with a flashlight. Make sure there isnt any excessive hopping or movement, and if you see an open area you can access the block around the timing chain tensioner area, stick a long screwdriver there CAREFULLY and put your ear up to the screwdriver. Touch the screwdriver in a couple different spots and listen for which area is the loudest. That might help point you in the right direction of where the noise is coming from. If its not the belt tensioner or anything obvious, im thinking the same thing as grey raven. Good luck!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 AM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Using a length of hose, hold one end to your ear while moving the other end around the engine. This will help you ph

Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 AM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
.....sorry, big fingers on a small phone.

That will help you pinpoint the location of the noise.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:27 PM
thetboneguy
Neutral
Alright guys, been a busy week, but we got a chance today to rule out some stuff.

It's not the harmonic balancer, the timing chain, the rocker arms seem to be in good shape, it's not the belt tensioner, no loose brackets, no exhaust leaks, moving the clutch back and forth doesn't change the sound in any way.

Like I've said before, it doesn't do it at idle, and it's most pronounced in neutral at 1800 rpm, but it does do it at almost any rpm, as long as minimal throttle is being given. Let off and it stops, hammer the throttle and it goes away.

I have another video, if it helps, (it certainly can't hurt right?) I point where the sound seems to be coming from, (The transmission.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZON1sEWoFk&feature=plcp

It'll probably be next week before I can get back under the hood, in the meantime, anyone have any ideas?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:38 PM
thetboneguy
Neutral
Hey guys, I'm back with some less than fortunate updates. I apologize for the late response, but we've just been trying to check everything before we order parts, and once we ordered, we had to wait on them.

After checking everything out, and still not being sure, we went ahead and ordered the chain tensioner and bolt because it was a relatively cheap part. We swapped it out easily and started it up, at first there was no rattle at all, and we thought that it had been fixed. But after a minute or two of driving, the noise came back even more intense than before.

Cruising along at 45, it gave a loud bang followed by the sound of the clacking slowing down. Whole car/engine started shuddering, but didn't shut down. White smoke poured from the exhaust, oil leaked from the bottom, in between the block and the fan/radiator. A little smoke came from the bay at the same time the exhaust spewed smoke.

We haven't taken it apart to check, but our best bet is that it's the super-charger and the clacking was just amplified across the bay. We won't really know until we check I guess. I'll keep you guys updated. Anyone had any trouble like this before?

Old 11-21-2012, 07:14 AM
KC MCS
3rd Gear
What ever came of this?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:16 PM
chdrake2002
1st Gear
I just bought a MCS this weekend and it sounds like it has the same noise. Haven't been able to figure it out yet. Please let me know what you found.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM
thetboneguy
Neutral
I apologize for re-surfacing this ancient thread, but I figured I'd give an update because I got a few PMs asking what eventually happened and I only just realized as I was going through my old email address. I apologize for the delay!

Long story short, a few weeks before the noise started, the engine light went off because of a bad gas cap o-ring. So as we continued through the diagnosis process, this was still on. We were hesitant to drive it anywhere, because of the severity of the noise at speed. However, we decided to try and make a gamble to head autozone and hook it up to the OBD system to see if any other code was being tripped.

On the way there, it threw a rod and punched a hole through the block so that's that I suppose. We're going to call around to some scrap yards and see if we can find another MINI that we can salvage the motor out of. If anyone knows any off the top of their head, we're looking!