Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

New owner with possible 2 issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Cruzer214
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
New owner with possible 2 issues

Well I've had my justa coupe for two weeks and there two things that bother me. First is the steering, it's hard to keep her straight on the highway. It seems to pull somewhat to left and the steering takes some effort to correct making for a tiresome drive. The other issue is I have begun to feel the clutch pedal click when I press it which is more of a annoyance than a problem I think. Can anyone shed some light on the steering if you think this is a problem?

Old 06-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have the alignment checked. The suspension needs a little time on the road to settle anyway, so yours is ready for an alignment check/adjust. Your car may have a little toe-out (instead of little toe-in) in front; that keeps you busy steering, even when trying to drive straight down the road.

I don't know about the clutch pedal click.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Also check your tire pressures. Low pressure in one tire will cause the car to pull to that side. The car should actually be able to sense one low tire, but the difference might not be enough for it to tell. Or the system might not be working correctly somehow.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:09 PM
the matey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also is there a lot of un even roads or even pot holes you may be hitting? front wheel drive cars tend to have a little bump steer.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Cruzer214
3rd Gear
Maybe it's just how the mini's are but compared to other cars it is not a relaxing drive on the highway. I am hoping it just needs to be aligned, I will make appt next week.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:37 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
I don't think it's normal.
Although I don't have any advice like others here, I can say that I drive my MINI on the interstate a lot. My car does not do this.
I hope it's an easy fix!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:50 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
It should be rock solid going down the hyway, there is something wrong. Have alignment and tire pressure checked. I run my tire pressure at 41 Lbs. let us know what the dealer finds.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:08 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
Check tire pressure and wear. Should not be pulling. That Mini should fly straight down the highway. MAybe you've got a bad factory alignment?`

Clutch pedal click is "normal" (i.e. not unknown) on these cars. It's the pedal arm rubbing against the plastic molding. My 2009 Clubman does the same thing, especially if your foot isn't applying pressure completely perpendicular to the pedal travel. It's a known issue, dealer should know the repair/readjustment.

Originally Posted by Cruzer214
Well I've had my justa coupe for two weeks and there two things that bother me. First is the steering, it's hard to keep her straight on the highway. It seems to pull somewhat to left and the steering takes some effort to correct making for a tiresome drive. The other issue is I have begun to feel the clutch pedal click when I press it which is more of a annoyance than a problem I think. Can anyone shed some light on the steering if you think this is a problem?

Old 06-29-2012, 06:21 AM
Cruzer214
3rd Gear
well I have the car in the shop since Tuesday. They will be giving it a full alignment today, they also ordered a slave cylinder for the clicking clutch which seems alittle weird to me.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:33 AM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Glad you are getting it sorted.
Your coupe will soon be running like dream, as it should.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:49 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
After you get it back it should go down the road like it's on rails. One thing to be aware of is tramlining. Fairly rare but once in a while you'll drive a road that has drainage grooves cut into it. They aren't straight and tires will tend to follow them. Kind of a wierd feeling but no worries.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:02 AM
Cruzer214
3rd Gear
i was nervous at first because advisor first told me they didnt feel anything wrong with the steering. But then they called back an hour later and another tech took it for a ride and was not happy with how it drove.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:52 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The click feeling is probably the rubber stop on the bottom of the pedal rubbing against the clutch hydraulic line. I had this problem and it feels like a "click" or "thunk" when you press the pedal all the way down. It's easily fixed by adding some washers to further more the pedal away from rubbing on that hydraulic line. It will be covered by warranty.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Cruzer214
3rd Gear
I had some scratches on my black roof that the dealer said would not buff out. They sent car to body shop to be wet sanded. I don't know anything about wet sanding, is this a bad thing to have done? Even if it looks fine now does it hurt he paint in the long run?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:44 PM
incubus2432
1st Gear
The wet sanding is just to get rid of the scratches in the clear coat.....once it's sanded and buffed it should look perfect. Nothing to worry about.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:41 AM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
I've always been a stickler for alignments. Had Mini do one when i got new tires and mine drifts too much to the right. Just havent had time to take it back to have them redo it. Pisses me off.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Many years ago a Ford dealership shop told me the reason our '72 Fairlane pulled to the right was because of safety. If I fell asleep at the wheel the car would naturally drift off the road and not into oncoming traffic. Took it to an allignment shop and the guy laughed his a...head off then fixed the problem.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:13 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
Why are they replacing the slave cylinder on a brand new car? What is their explanation as to how the slave cylinder induces clicking during pedal movement?

I guarantee you 99.999% that you'll still have the clicking after replacement.

The issue is quite well explained by another poster above. If I were you, I wouldn't accept their explanation.

well I have the car in the shop since Tuesday. They will be giving it a full alignment today, they also ordered a slave cylinder for the clicking clutch which seems alittle weird to me.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Cruzer214
3rd Gear
Well I got her back and the clutch still clicks, they claim it's normal because of the brake hold feature. I don't buy it. I also brought it in for wind noise from drivers window, they claim to have adjusted window but the noise is still there. I also would hear a loud clunk from the rear of car going over sharp bumps, they installed felt tape on the trunk covers. Noise worse then before now. I also had them change the right front wheel arch because it had scuffs on it, new one also has scuffs! I just came out of a long battle with GM with my cruze and just want a car that's in my garage more then the dealers!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:47 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
I would try a differant dealer if there is an other one in your area. It sounds like your dealer didn't fix anything. I have had none of these issues with my Coupe'. However, anything that I have had done at the dealership has been done right with no excuses.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:42 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
I hate to say "I told you so" but I told you so. Here's a piece of advice, please don't take it as a criticism. When a dealership tells you they are going to do something to you car you think is bogus, please just don't let them go ahead and do it even if it sounds good (i.e. replace a slave cylinder). Ask them _why_ they want to replace a slave on a brand new car. Also, did you check the clutch/brake fluid reservoir before driving off the lot? Bet you didn't. You should have, especially if they were messing with the hydraulic lines.

Dealerships are too quick to simply swap out components without analysing the issue. This is bad for the brand and the economics of the business model.

The clicking is due to, as the other poster explained, pedal travel. It is also true that the Hill Start Assist system induces very subtle clicking sounds when it releases the brakes. To distinguish which noise it is, move the pedal when the engine is off. If you hear it, it's due to pedal travel.

Good luck getting it sorted. I'd consider another dealership if possible. Warranty transfer is not an issue, don't let them convince you otherwise.

Well I got her back and the clutch still clicks, they claim it's normal because of the brake hold feature.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Cruzer: Did the alignment help?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Cruzer214
3rd Gear
It is much better then before, it may still go left slightly but it's a much more relaxing drive now. Btw, mini of Monmouth told me they change front passenger arch because it had scuffs. Well after washing it today all they did was put dressing over it! I have a picture of the scuffs before it went in and they are in the same spots! SHADY!

Old 07-04-2012, 10:59 AM
pew1375
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dealers suck sometimes... Be glad you have a New MINI with a warranty. I've been to 2 different dealers, and the Major Denver MINI dealer treated me like crap! Given, I own a 2002 MCS, so no warranty. They treated me like I was bringing them a car from a different company, and even ordered parts for a different model. They damaged my MINI, and denied doing anything wrong. I know that not all dealers are bad. MINI of Loveland (Colorado) treated me like I was their most important customer, and took care of me, and more importantly my MINI, and they seemed truly happy to see my car!
Unfortunately, if you have questions about your MINI, the dealer is the wrong place to go. I've found my answers here on NAM, and from other MINI club members. That's one of the great things about owning a MINI, your fellow MINI Motorers! If you have a question or a problem, who's going to be there to help you find the solutions? Someone who drives a MINI!!

Old 07-04-2012, 01:39 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
It is much better then before, it may still go left slightly but it's a much more relaxing drive now. Btw, mini of Monmouth told me they change front passenger arch because it had scuffs. Well after washing it today all they did was put dressing over it! I have a picture of the scuffs before it went in and they are in the same spots! SHADY!
I am sorry to hear that your dealer is not straightforward with you.
I hope that you can find another dealer that is trustworthy.
Although your car is handling better, it doesn't sound like it's just right yet.

Quick Reply: New owner with possible 2 issues