Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The NEW AND IMPROVED windshield!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 01:06 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all of you who have had to put up with my non stop whining about my FIVE broken windshields, I have news.Not only has Mini USA aknowledged that there is indeed a problem ,and not only that they have actually made a design change to replacement windshields starting NOW, but I have the honor of having the FIRST of the new style installed (last thurs) .I will continue to post results of this new product .Kudos to Phil Kahler at BMWNA for addressing my problem personally.For anyone interested ,I can provide both phone and email for this person, who truley seems to care that we all get a fair shake.More as it happens(good and bad) Jock

Old 03-04-2004, 01:12 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet. Im in the fiev windshield club too. Guess I need to wait til this one fails to get it replaced :smile:

--
Cheese

Old 03-04-2004, 01:15 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
As I understand it the improvement involves increasing the temper(tensile strength) of the glass by approx. 20%.New style should be available in 3-4 weeks,so wait and be sure to get the new style next time around. Peace

Old 03-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Mighty_Boognish
2nd Gear

This is great news.

Do you know what exactly are the differences between the previous windshields and this "new style" windshield? Glass thickness or something??

-Joe

Old 03-04-2004, 01:22 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Glad to hear ....there's a solution :smile:

Please keep us posted.....

If you live long enough...you will see everything :smile:

Peace,
D

Old 03-04-2004, 01:28 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
Man, it didn't take mini division long to respond to that one did it?

Old 03-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Kypt
2nd Gear
Does this new windshield have a part # you could give us? I got a crack this past weekend and would like to get it replaced with this "new hotness" when it is available.

Old 03-04-2004, 01:43 PM
samawil
5th Gear
Are they also increasing the price of the windshield since it's new and improved?

Also did you only replace them with oem ones or did you try that other brand I've read about (I can't remember the name)

Louay

Old 03-04-2004, 01:52 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
>>Does this new windshield have a part # you could give us? I got a crack this past weekend and would like to get it replaced with this "new hotness" when it is available.

Old 03-04-2004, 01:58 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
>>Are they also increasing the price of the windshield since it's new and improved?
>>
>>Also did you only replace them with oem ones or did you try that other brand I've read about (I can't remember the name)
>>
>>Louay
every one of the ones I had replaced were done under warrentee.(including the new one) In Mass. comprehensive insurance buys you up to 3 per year.The other you had mentioned is by Portland Plate Glass(PPG) and posts on this topic were less than optomistic about the Quality of the glass,even though they seemed to be less crack prone.One guy even said that you could even FEEL the imperfections in their glass.
As to price ,I don't know,cause I haven't paid for one yet.Dealer should be able to answer this.

Old 03-04-2004, 02:03 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is good news.

I'm needing a new windshield as mine (the third one) developed a crack last weekend and it's pitted to hell already. So I'd much rather get the new glass.

Please let us know the new part number when you can get it. Also see if you can write down the writing it has in the corner of the window.

Old 03-04-2004, 02:23 PM
samawil
5th Gear
I need to change insurance then

Thanks for the info,

Louay

Old 03-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
holdenontoit - Glad to hear that things are working out in your favor. It would be nice if MINIUSA would honor those in the past that have had numerous or even one windshield replaced with out of pocket money.... :smile:

Chow!

Donna

Old 03-04-2004, 03:02 PM
retrohasen
2nd Gear
I just had the PPG windshield put in and the quality looks pretty good. The Safelite guy that came to install it brought 2 with him and let me check them before he installed it. I have only driven the car about 5 miles since I had it installed, so no report on cracking or pitting yet. I sure hope this one lasts longer. I couldn't get the last one under warranty since it was hit by a rock.
BTW, the dealer told me they would charge $1200 to replace the glass if not covered under warranty. I paid $250 for the PPG one and they installed it in my garage.

Old 03-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Driving_Hamster
5th Gear
$1200 for a windshield replacement from the dealer??! You my friend are being taken for a ride, and you get to sit on the pole!

Most dealers are charging around $350 - 375 for windshield replacements with OEM glass. I'd look into that one before I let them near your car.

Old 03-04-2004, 06:46 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I had the first windscreen replaced at the dealer (by their outside contractor) the total charge was close to $900. Thank Buddha for a $100 deductable. The second windscreen was replaced by the outside contractor (Ryans, if anyone's in Pitt.)in their shop but the insurance was, again, charged almost $900.

And PPG = PITTSBURGH Plate Glass

Old 03-04-2004, 06:57 PM
SB
6th Gear
>>One guy even said that you could even FEEL the imperfections in their glass.

My glass is wavy in the area that the mirror usually mounts to windshield. It's very obvious when cleaning the windows with a paper towel.

Old 03-05-2004, 09:56 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
>>This is good news.
>>
>>I'm needing a new windshield as mine (the third one) developed a crack last weekend and it's pitted to hell already. So I'd much rather get the new glass.
>>
>>Please let us know the new part number when you can get it. Also see if you can write down the writing it has in the corner of the window.
>>
>>
the new part # has not even been released yet according to Gary at Mini Peabody(svc. Mgr)As soon as it is he'll let me know and I'll post it. Later..........

Old 03-05-2004, 10:03 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
>>This is good news.
>>
>>I'm needing a new windshield as mine (the third one) developed a crack last weekend and it's pitted to hell already. So I'd much rather get the new glass.
>>
>>Please let us know the new part number when you can get it. Also see if you can write down the writing it has in the corner of the window.
>>
>>
Ok ,here is the info:
Mini(wing logo)
// Saint Gobain
Sekurit
E6( circled) 43R- 00091
DOT 32 M51 AS1
CCC(circled) E000190

Old 03-05-2004, 10:09 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
>>When I had the first windscreen replaced at the dealer (by their outside contractor) the total charge was close to $900. Thank Buddha for a $100 deductable. The second windscreen was replaced by the outside contractor (Ryans, if anyone's in Pitt.)in their shop but the insurance was, again, charged almost $900.
>>
>>And PPG = PITTSBURGH Plate Glass

Old 03-05-2004, 11:53 AM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
$1200? $900? For WINDSHIELDS? Can you please post the names of these dealers?
I want to call them to see if any of their daughters are single.

Old 03-05-2004, 04:17 PM
kensmini
3rd Gear
I just had my first replacement windshield, of the original design, mounted a second time as the first seal didn't take all that well. When I drove after the first heavy rainstorm with the new windshield, I got a lap and radio drenching from the interior rearview mirror.

Make certain that any replacement windshield gets a thorough wet test at the dealer's carwash. The top of the MINI's glass is higher than the headliner and mirror mount and any water coming in from the top of the glass will travel down and into the interior if the seal is bad.

Thanks Holdenontoit! If I'm unlucky enough for a second replacement windshield during the warranty period, I'll have you to thank for the 20% stonger glass that will be used.

Old 03-05-2004, 04:58 PM
kramseib
3rd Gear
>>Glad to hear ....there's a solution :smile:
>>
>>Please keep us posted.....
>>
>>If you live long enough...you will see everything :smile:
>>
>>Peace,
>>D

Perfectly spoken Dennis

Old 03-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
I simply won't be happy until MINI reimburses me for my defective windshield. They refused to honor their warranty and left me to pay for their mistake.

I might even shut up about it if they would send me a token gift like the special coffee cup designed to fit the oddly placed cupholders. Funny thing is that the special cup still does not fit the holders!

Congrats to you holdenontoit!

Old 03-05-2004, 06:09 PM
MPETUOS
2nd Gear
>>>>When I had the first windscreen replaced at the dealer (by their outside contractor) the total charge was close to $900. Thank Buddha for a $100 deductable. The second windscreen was replaced by the outside contractor (Ryans, if anyone's in Pitt.)in their shop but the insurance was, again, charged almost $900.
>>>>
>>>>And PPG = PITTSBURGH Plate Glass :evil: Thankfully it passed the ballpoint pen test and the dealer is doing the warantee work!!

Quick Reply: The NEW AND IMPROVED windshield!