Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Failed NJ inspection 3x now, Comprehensive Component Not Ready

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 AM
impakt
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed NJ inspection 3x now, Comprehensive Component Not Ready

Just took my 04 justacooper in for third try at the DMV to be rejected yet again. Every time, it's the same OBD comprehensive component not ready. Before I ever got the car inspected, I had to replace the O2 sensors because the engine light was on. Now, no light but comprehensive component not ready & overall readiness not ready. Please help.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:17 AM
wolfador
1st Gear
Have you had the codes scanned? Even if the light is not on codes can still be in the computer.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:02 PM
impakt
Neutral
Originally Posted by wolfador
Have you had the codes scanned? Even if the light is not on codes can still be in the computer.
No codes, just had it read.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:49 PM
36rodder
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by impakt
Just took my 04 justacooper in for third try at the DMV to be rejected yet again. Every time, it's the same OBD comprehensive component not ready. Before I ever got the car inspected, I had to replace the O2 sensors because the engine light was on. Now, no light but comprehensive component not ready & overall readiness not ready. Please help.
Did you clear the codes or did they clear by themselves after changing the O2 sensors? If you cleared the codes with a scanner, the car has to go through a number of start / stop cycles, heat-up /cool down cycles before the OBD will be ready for a DMV scan. This can take a few days after clearing the codes. This prevents someone from deleting a fault code without fixing the problem and getting it immediately scanned for inspection before the code comes back.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:28 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to drive about 25 miles and as said stop start a bunch of times to get past the "not ready" code. It prevents one from clearing codes in the parking lot. The newest scanguage is supposed to clear the not ready code, but I don't know if it does or not.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:40 AM
Paul Gentile
Neutral
You are not alone...my situation is on 3 months with the Comprehensive ready code not turing to ready (I have thousands of miles, i have driven every driving cycle i could find) i have had several mechanics and mini all not have a clue.

I had exact issue - replaced O2 sensors and every code is gone, every ready is ok except comprehensive. My car is at Princeton MINi now just so they can do a full diagnostics and then I can fax that to the state with their note saying nothing is wrong with the car.

Here is the process I was finally told by the state:

-Call the 800 number on your DMV Inspection (this is parsons)
-Explain the situation and you want to know how to request the "DYNO" emissions test (where they put the old style test in the tailpipe)
-They will tell you need The written information from your Mini dealer showing noting is wrong and no codes with the car and the printout of the diagnostic report.
-You then need to fax all that to the number they gave you
-Then the they pass it on to the state and supposedly in 24 to 48 hours you will hear back for a yes or no to go for the other test.
-Then , hopefully, you can take all that to your inspection station and get the old style test.

here is my original thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-testing.html

Lets get a survey - How Many other MINI owners have had ODB ready troubles?

Old 03-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Paul Gentile
Neutral
Just picked up Mini from Princeton Mini.
Mini Diagnostics shows NO fault codes, and all systems ready.
They also did a SME software upgrade which was on the books from MINI, so no charge me for that. The Diagnostic cost $68.00 - not bad.

After Diagnostics I ran right over to DMV Inspection for good measure and
same results - Comprehensive Component NOT ready. Monday I will fax all this to DMV to ask for dispute resolution inspection using the steps above. Let the fun begin. So frustrating!

Old 03-24-2012, 05:40 AM
gestero
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am glad I live in Florida, no BS inspections, hope you get your problem solved.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Paul Gentile
Neutral
Some folks have asked how it turned out. Well it did turned out well in the end, I had to request a referee inspection. Basically you need::

-Call the 800 number on your DMV Inspection (this is parsons)
-Explain the situation and you want to know how to request the "DYNO" emissions test (where they put the old style test in the tailpipe)
-They will tell you need The written information from your Mini dealer showing noting is wrong and no codes with the car and the printout of the diagnostic report.
-You then need to fax all that to the number they gave you
-Then the they pass it on to the state and supposedly in 24 to 48 hours you will hear back for a yes or no to go for the other test.
-Then , hopefully, you can take all that to your inspection station and get the old style test.

Here is what I sent to Parsons after my phone call. They then walked the info to the State of NJ and the State ok'ed the referee inspection. Within a day I had my inspection and all was good.

Note - do not ask Princeton Mini (or a MINI) to certify your cars emissions - they wont unless they are a certified emissions center. Just tell them you want a diagnostics of the COMPUTER and a print out showing there are no codes or issues.

Below is the Fax I sent to Parsons after i spoke to them on the phone. T

Just be persistent, but calm. Hope all tunrs out well.

***FAX********
Phone: {Your Phone}
Regarding: {Your Car Make & Model } VIN: {Put Your VI} Plate: {Your Plate}
Request for alternative inspection to OBD II Inspection

To: NJ MVC - Inspections
Phone: 888-njmotor
Fax: 609-895-0630

Dear Sir/Maam,
This is regarding my {MAKE/MODEL} OBD Inspection. This is a request for a referee inspection or alternative inspection. My reason for the request is that although the NJ MVC computer shows no codes for my Mini Cooper it is failing to read the “READY” status of the Comprehensive Component of my vehicle. (OR WHATEVER YOU ARE FAILING FOR)

{Tell Your Story Here} (I laid out when my first inspection was, my mechanic visists, my Princeotn Min visits, etc)

I have attached all documentation from MINI and I am requesting a DYNO/tailpie type inspection sice the NJ MVC computer is failing to properly register the readiness of the Mini’s OBD II readiness.

I appreciate your help with this matter and I hope to get this resolved quickly so that my vehicle can be in full compliance.
Sincerely,

Last edited by Paul Gentile; 03-08-2013 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-29-2013, 06:53 AM
Quitman Rhinehardt
1st Gear
Just wondering if your comprehensive components monitor is still showing not ready. I am in the same situation with NJ but my inspection isnt due until next month. I cleared my DTC after fixing a problem with my throttle body sticking about a month ago and all of my readiness monitors are ready except comprehensive components.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Quitman Rhinehardt
1st Gear
UPDATE:
I finally got my CCM to show as ready. I'm not sure exactly what caused that monitor to glitch and never show as ready. I originally used an ELM bluetooth adapter with torque for android to clear my DTCs. Its possible that is what caused it because after ordering a usb k+dcan cable and loading up inpa the monitor was suddenly "ready".

Old 10-31-2013, 01:41 PM
wjoe0426
Neutral
Where can I find this k+dscan cable, and software application

Old 10-31-2013, 03:41 PM
Quitman Rhinehardt
1st Gear
I bought mine from eBay. And the software is all over the net. Search Google for ediabas .

Old 09-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Abi
Neutral
Comprehensive Component not ready on a Mini cooper 2005

Mini Cooper 2005 Convertible.
I have the same issue as Paul. Went to DMV NJ three times in the course of a month after hundreds of miles.

I changed the post cat O2 sensor three months ago after we had codes related to it. Since, no codes or any kind were reported.

Next I am going to try the recipe Paul went through, go to the dealer and get their diagnostics and a letter from them and request a DMV NJ referee inspection.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:01 PM
JRhea
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I was dizzy just reading all the hoops you had to jump through just to be allowed to drive a car that you own on the roads you paid for. Why live under the oppressive thumb of the NJ DMV? Here in Fla you can literally drive anything that you can sit in or on. No emissions and there's a rumor that well soon get the crappy ethanol out of the gasoline; just as God intended it to be.
Happy motoring just the same.'

Old 10-29-2014, 06:58 AM
RayH
1st Gear
Interesting, my 06 MCS also failed this month for the same issue though it passed at the last inspection 2 years ago. My Scangauge II shows no problems and also I had it the last time it was inspected. The only difference between this time and last is I had the Scanguage connected on a OBDII Y-connector while they were doing the inspection. After the failure I disconnected it and tried re-inspection but it still had the same problem.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's an issue with the state's inspection software...

Old 04-22-2015, 05:41 AM
Paul Gentile
Neutral
Some good news - or a light at the end of the tunnel. Update to my DMV Saga - 2014 Inspection went fine.

Sorry for late update - if forgot about this thread... but it must be inspection season since a few people just PM'd me.

In 2013 my inspection was done manually (as per the above thread), and they gave me a one year sticker. In Dec 2014 I returned to DMV expecting all the same issues again. To my surprise, they hooked up the Mini to the computer and everything passed. I now have a 2 year sticker. They must have changed something on their end, because i never changed a thing.

Last note: Sorry off topic, but i had a worse experience than the DMV I need to share. IMHO stay away from Volvo of Edison and any Long Motor Co. owned dealership in New Jersey. I have done 3 cars through them, thought I found the perfect dealer, to only find on my last transaction that they are the same if not worse then what I thought of other dealers. No fun doing business with a dealership you can not trust.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:45 AM
R3Wood
Neutral
Originally Posted by Paul Gentile
Some good news - or a light at the end of the tunnel. Update to my DMV Saga - 2014 Inspection went fine.

Sorry for late update - if forgot about this thread... but it must be inspection season since a few people just PM'd me.

In 2013 my inspection was done manually (as per the above thread), and they gave me a one year sticker. In Dec 2014 I returned to DMV expecting all the same issues again. To my surprise, they hooked up the Mini to the computer and everything passed. I now have a 2 year sticker. They must have changed something on their end, because i never changed a thing.

Last note: Sorry off topic, but i had a worse experience than the DMV I need to share. IMHO stay away from Volvo of Edison and any Long Motor Co. owned dealership in New Jersey. I have done 3 cars through them, thought I found the perfect dealer, to only find on my last transaction that they are the same if not worse then what I thought of other dealers. No fun doing business with a dealership you can not trust.
I don't own a mini, but Paul's link made it over to JaguarForums.com . My car is a 2003 Jaguar XKR. The car grew up in Florida with no inspection. When I purchased it, the dealer in FL replaced an O2 sensor and then cleared all the codes (July 2014). The car arrived in August 2014 and inspection revealed "Comprehensive Component" not ready. I went back after 2 months, doing the ridiculous drive cycles, miles passed, still not ready. Drive cycles and miles driven are a bunch of B.S. with this issue. So I am posting to let you know, as Paul said you are not alone. This does not seem to be a Mini Cooper issue, but a NJ State ODB issue. Thanks Paul for the link, as if I fail today, I will be going through the rigmarole of trying to get a beautiful non-polluting car to pass the thieves of NJ process.

Rich
2003 Jaguar XKR Convertible
S. NJ

Old 04-23-2015, 03:57 AM
R3Wood
Neutral
Originally Posted by JRhea
Wow, I was dizzy just reading all the hoops you had to jump through just to be allowed to drive a car that you own on the roads you paid for. Why live under the oppressive thumb of the NJ DMV? Here in Fla you can literally drive anything that you can sit in or on. No emissions and there's a rumor that well soon get the crappy ethanol out of the gasoline; just as God intended it to be.
Happy motoring just the same.'
I could not agree more with this :(

Old 12-22-2015, 02:52 PM
RoxCo
Neutral
Have the same problem with a 2004 mini

Went and got inspected twice already both times failed as well for the
OBD - Comprehensive Component - Not Ready.
Everything else passed except for this. For a car that has less than 25,0000 miles for the past 10 years this NJ emission's test is a pain in the ***. The inspector actually mentioned that he will do the manual test & paper work that will be submitted to DMV on my behalf, but he will charge me $300-400 bucks. I'm not sure if that's even reasonable price. If that's the case do I still need to get a diagnostics tests done from the dealership? Because I'm pretty sure that's another set of payment.

PSA for all mini drivers in North Jersey. Let's petition to open a mini dealership closer to us instead of driving to Mahwah, Morristown, Princeton or God forbid NYC!

Old 12-22-2015, 03:23 PM
RedC
Neutral
Comprehensive component not ready

Originally Posted by RoxCo
Went and got inspected twice already both times failed as well for the
OBD - Comprehensive Component - Not Ready.
Everything else passed except for this. For a car that has less than 25,0000 miles for the past 10 years this NJ emission's test is a pain in the ***. The inspector actually mentioned that he will do the manual test & paper work that will be submitted to DMV on my behalf, but he will charge me $300-400 bucks. I'm not sure if that's even reasonable price. If that's the case do I still need to get a diagnostics tests done from the dealership? Because I'm pretty sure that's another set of payment.

PSA for all mini drivers in North Jersey. Let's petition to open a mini dealership closer to us instead of driving to Mahwah, Morristown, Princeton or God forbid NYC!
I am in the same boat. So far I have logged ~300 miles doing the drive cycles on my 2005 mini since the failed test. I bought an obd2 scanner just to check before I go tested again. Still not ready. Called a dealer in Ramsey and was told 165 for diagnostics.

Last edited by RedC; 12-22-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
My Indy mechanic charges $50 for diagnosis plugged into BMW mini system, just an FYI for you.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:10 PM
RedC
Neutral
I finally got my Comprehensive component ready, went to the DMV and got my 2 year sticker finally. Heres what I did and what I think finally worked for me:
1. Drive cycles ~400 miles- not ready
2. Reset the ecu/dash following intructions i found here at NAM- still not ready
3. Disconnected the battery for 2 hours- nope not ready
4. Lastly, I did another drive cycle on the highway but this time I got it to 5-6k rpms, 70mph and then deccelerated without braking or changing gear to stop. Turn off car for 2 minutes. Drove back home and check- Comprehensive component READY.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:46 AM
RoxCo
Neutral
Update

After 3 weeks, my dealership just delivered my mini with a 2 year sticker. They replaced the DME of my car to pass the Comprehensive Component. Cost me about $1,700 similar to 5 other customers who had the same problem of not passing the NJ inspection. Coincidentally too, all of us bought our cars from Princeton mini and had this problem. Two of the customers I've encountered have had manual inspection and only gotten 1 year sticker. Now with the DME being replaced they have a 2 year sticker. So we all hope in 2 years time we won't run into the same problem again. Glad all this is sorted out.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:25 AM
Dorothy Ditski
Neutral
Originally Posted by impakt

I know this thread is really old but I've been following it since my 04 Mini Cooper was having trouble passing the inspection in NJ. I've gone to Rahway 7 times and didn't pass even when they told me to keep driving and keep coming back. If you're more central I say take a chance and go to the Kilmer inspection which is in Edison. I finally passed today! Don't know if it was luck or what but it finally passed after 7 times! Check them out. Hope this helped anyone.

Quick Reply: Failed NJ inspection 3x now, Comprehensive Component Not Ready