Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Mini not starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 10:56 AM
MiniGigi
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini not starting

Afternoon Gentlemen!

A little background information:

So approx 3 week ago I was sitting idling and shut my mini off to go for a walk at park near my job. I came back attempted to start the car and nothing, not clicking sound, but I had power but no way of knowing if I was getting enough volts to get the starter to work so:

I called AAA and got a jump, but no luck, car still didn't start!

Off the to dealership it got towed.

So after a day of the shop looking at it, they told me it was a faulty starter. The cost to replace the starter, $687 US. :( :(
So I'm no expert but decently knowledgeable with cars, so I read on the forums and decided to replace my own starter.

Off to Autozone, purchased a new starter cost 120 sans core.

I finished today replacing the starter, which btw with a few extension rods is easy to from the right wheel well.

Anywho...... So put everything back, all good, exhaust manifold, heat shield and new starter in place.

Well I go to start the car, and same thing nothing, no clicking nada! :( :(

I'm perplexed.... so I decided to check then voltage on the battery terminals looks like its over 12volts, so not terrible but not awesome.

Ok that wasn't the problem I thought, so I decided to check the fuses, nothing wrong there.

Is there something I'm not thinking of before I bring this to a mechanic?

Looking for some guidance.

many thanks in advance guys.

Sincerely,
MiniGigi

Old 12-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the new battery, when you turn the key does the electronics turn on in the car or is everything completely dead?

Old 12-19-2011, 05:52 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does your car have the manual transmission? I just had the exact same symptoms with my wife's car (no start, no click, even with a charged battery.) The problem ended up being the clutch position sensor (the switch that makes sure you have the clutch pedal pressed in before the starter will work.) It had come loose from the clutch master cylinder and just had to be popped back into place.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:27 AM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of course you could be chasing more than one problem. I would check to see if the starter you removed will spin if you hook it up directly to the battery. At least you will find out if that was ever the problem. Next I would remove the battery and take it to your local auto parts store and have them check it out to see if it is dead or not. When my battery went everything looked fine but no amount of jump or charge would get the car to turn over. New battery and it worked like new again.