Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Power Steering Pump Won't Shut Off, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:18 PM
MINIWeasel
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Pump Won't Shut Off, Please Help

As the title says, I have a 2002 MINI Cooper S and today the power steering pump wouldn't shut off. The car was off, key was out of the ignition and in my pocket, and it power steering pump still was running. I know it is the power steering pump because I got back in it and turned the wheel and could feel the boosted power. And the pump responds exactly to my steering movements (with the engine still off).

For now I put a cut off switch on the battery, so that it wont keep running (I'd prefer the car to not catch fire or run down the battery). So it's safe for now, but I obviously need it fixed.

Previously the pump was a bit whiny, has been since 2008 when I got it, but I never compared it to anything else, so I cant be sure. And about two years ago the small cooling fan by the power steering pump seized, and had to be replaced. Could that have damaged the pump?

This lead to several questions that I hope some more veteran MINI owners can help me with. First it seems like lots of owners have this problem. So what can be done? Do I just buy a new pump and replace mine? Seems like there's over 60 pages of posts on this topic.

Could it something else? For instance the pump gets the signal to run from the alternator, so could the alternator be sending it even when it's not turning and fooling the pump into thinking the engine is on?

Oh, and for everyone else out there, I know even more people with similar problems. A MINI here in western Mass caught fire while in a mechanic's garage over a weekend. It was blamed on a pump running, and supposedly some guys from MINI or BMW came by and bought the wreck in order to investigate.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:33 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Pretty safe to say the electronics on the pump are bad...
Pumps built after 2005 were made to be a bit quieter...
Pumps can be rebuilt....but only the hydrolics are rebuilt...not the motor or the electronics...so imo, just shop around for the best $$ on a new pump, and ne done with it.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:51 PM
MINIWeasel
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a relay that could be sticking?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:27 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
could be, You will have to locate the power steering relay ,pull it and replace it with another . There are several relays that are the same on your car. I sold my Bentley manual so I cannot help. But I thought there was four lined up in the fuse box,under the hood . By the process of elmination with the pump running you could pull the relays one by one or go back and forth between your switch to find the pump relay.

Originally Posted by MINIWeasel
Is there a relay that could be sticking?

Old 12-09-2011, 04:02 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JPMM
could be, You will have to locate the power steering relay ,pull it and replace it with another . There are several relays that are the same on your car. I sold my Bentley manual so I cannot help. But I thought there was four lined up in the fuse box,under the hood . By the process of elmination with the pump running you could pull the relays one by one or go back and forth between your switch to find the pump relay.
No.
gen1 pumps are not controled by a relay...maybe on a gen2...i'm not sure...
Gen1 is hardwired, unfused from the battery due to voltage/amp involved
Do as you have, unplug the battery as a temporary measure till you get the new pump. Pretty simple swap...just use the right ps fluid.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:05 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
If you feel like a drive, call Greasysgarage out in Worcester....they can swap it out.