Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

How to Replace Green S/C Intake Air Duct Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:21 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts
How to Replace Green S/C Intake Air Duct Gasket?

O.K. I'm in service mode. Apparent oil leak coming from the green s/c intake air duct gasket. Any EZ way to get that sucka off? Or do I have to remove TB, BPV , etc.? Will replace crank pos. sensor o-ring even tho it doesn't appear to be leaking. TIA!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:08 PM
KeithGT
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If youve got enough oil in your intake system to be leaking out of there....Youve got some problems.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:59 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Changed oil & filter a couple of weeks ago and noticed a film of oil on the pan and blown back to the power steering cooling fan. Finally got time to check it out today by going to service mode. Oil pan gasket not leaking. There's some evidence of oil underneath the s/c intake air duct but I can't be sure it's the source until I take it off. There was evidence of oil below the crank sensor so I replaced the o-ring. So how do I remove it to check and change the gasket?

Old 12-10-2011, 06:11 PM
ERIK06MCS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotta be honest I did this in August due to an oil leak on my 06 mcs too.

Here's what I got:
Crank Sensor O-ring from Way and Green Inlet side gasket.

I was pretty sure that the oil leak was from the Crank sensor and proved that when I took everything apart. Honestly if I did it all over again I wouldn't have touched the Green gasket as it was such a PITA.

I put the car in service mode, i.e. removed front bumper, unbolted front a/c condensor and let hang on side. Removed front clip (radiator core support w/radiator). Removed pass side top motor mount and unbolted lower engine mount. Jacked up motor. Removed Alternator. Removed Air box and throttle body. Removed supercharger (dang pulley was seized and I was putting 15% pulley on).

Anyways, long story short I pretty much removed everything you stated including throttle body in order to get that hard pipe off. I do remember that the new gasket is pretty hard, and installing the pipe all the way was Very Difficult for me. The pipe/gasket did not want to go all the way. Really muscled it in there with some silicon lube too.
Not sure if that helps at all.

Good luck.

And if you are getting oil dripping from that gasket you probably do have a more serious issue as you should not have considerable oil blowing out of the intake and/or supercharger. Lets hope its just the crank sensor o-ring.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:30 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Thanks, Erik. I've cleaned everything up, replaced the crank sensor O-ring and have looked closely at the green S/C intake air duct gasket. It shows no sign of oil coming from it so I'm going to leave it alone. The oil pan gasket looks good as well. Will adhere to that old addage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If I put everything back together and I still have a leak, we'll have a better indication of where it's coming from.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:43 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Okay, I have this issue with my 05 MCS.

I've just rebuilt the motor and oil is drippings it of the bottom of the green gasket.

From my searches and the posts above it seems that the intake part needs to be muscled on. I don't remember us doing that, so that may be step one.

My second (and more concerning issue) was touched on above. If there is that much oil collecting in that area, I have bigger issues.

What would cause that?

I believe that this may have been part of the major oil consumption issue that lead to me spinning my rod bearing.

I highly doubt that this has anything to do with my new engine rebuild, since all gaskets and parts were stripped and replaced. Could the PCV valve be bad (it rattles when shaken)?

I have a newly installed OCC, but it hasn't started to collect anything yet.

I'll put it into service mode again an muscle the green gasket assembly back on, but I'd love to know if anyone has solved why/how the oil is getting there in the first place.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 10-08-2012, 10:45 AM
bthayer23
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil originating in that location is coming from the intake tract, so that's either a bad PCV or your supercharger's gone bad - check the color of the oil. A greenish yellowish oil is probably the supercharger. Brown is engine oil. A film of engine oil is normal - that's just oil vapors vented into the intake stream. A lot of oil is not normal. Also, as noted above, a bad crank sensor o-ring can deposit oil on the outside of the tube.

To remove this gasket, remove the intercooler, remove the air intake tubes, undo the three nuts on the driver's side intake horn, remove the throttle body, and disconnect the two vacuum lines. You should be able to muscle the bypass valve and black intake tube off the intake manifold without disconnecting the bypass valve.