Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

03 S died while driving, now will not start

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Cenobia
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 S died while driving, now will not start

Just drove home from a late night visit to the office and my 03 S died 10 feet from my driveway. I was driving it without issue, but when I went to give it gas to go up a slight hill to my driveway, it stumbled. I let off the gas and it died a second later.

I have been noticing some odd starting issues recently. Sometimes it starts, stumbles and then just dies (this is fairly rare, but enough that I was beginning to get concerned). Sometimes it just takes a few extra cranks to start.

Anyway, now it won't start at all. It still cranks, then feels like its about to start and dies. I read a few threads and it sounds like it may be the fuel pump. That seems to make sense I guess, but let me know what you guys think.

I notice that I seem to lose a lot of oil (probably the common gasket problem), so I'm hoping it's not something more serious.

I have a scanguage and my mini did not throw any new codes (there are a couple related to my dead ABS module - P1613 and P0500, I think - but nothing new).

I only use premium gas.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:14 AM
angrydave
2nd Gear
Even if you're using Premium gas, if it's got ethanol in it, your fuel pump is probably disintegrated. When mine went, I'd been having no signs or symptoms of any problems, then suddenly, on the interstate, it was like I just turned my motor off. They don't seem to give a lot of warning before they go. First thing to do would be to check your spark plugs and fuses, but it probably is your fuel pump.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:41 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Check to see if your fuel pump is charging the system when you turn the ignition key to pos. 2. If you don't hear it, maybe check the fuse first. ( start small.... ).

I had similar situation while on the highway but that turned out to be a need for a new DME. Original one looked like it came out of a WWII battle tank. New one looked like it was made by Apple Computers

Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 PM
garyh12
Neutral
does your speedometer work with the dead abs module?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Cenobia
1st Gear
Thanks guys. It is sounding more and more like the pump. I do hear something when I put the key in position 2, but it seems to be different, maybe louder than before.

@garyh12 - My speedometer, odometer, trip odometer, auto door locks, variable audio (audio increase as speed increases), tire pressure, ABS and traction control are all not working. I'm pretty sure it is the ABS module at this point, but every once in a while it kicks back on for a while. I might try cleaning the contacts on the module before sending it off to get repaired. I haven't found anyone who will actually repair it yet anyway.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:44 PM
garyh12
Neutral
The reason I was asking is because I'm having the same problem. After a long weekend in which the car wasn't used, when we got back and started the car all the same problems as you have began. Also there was some water in the battery compartment. Never found any blown fuses. Guess I'll have to take it in.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:47 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of gas??

Old 09-20-2011, 02:28 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Check for ur dme relay under the hood
Mine had similar symptom / wouldnt start and after swapping the relay it is fine

Old 09-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Cenobia
1st Gear
@ACEkraut11 - lol, no I did check that. I still had at least a quarter tank. It did feel like it ran out of gas, but it happened more suddenly then when I ran out of gas in my old Nissan Stanza Wagon (btw, the ugliness of that car will turn your stomach). My Stanza kicked a lot more before dying. My mini just lost all power and kicked very slightly when I gave it gas...and then it died.

@garyh12 - Here is a thread I started before. I listed all my symptoms at the bottom.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...o-no-tach.html

I didn't update it, but re-seating the fuses didn't actually work (well not for more than a few days). I tried getting new fuses, but that didn't do anything. I have not confirmed that it was the ABS module because I never took it to a dealer, and have not been able to get it fixed yet. I am pretty confident that that is the cause, but cannot say with 100% certainty.

@sprp85 - I will check that relay out. I'm really hoping it's not the DME itself because I feel like that would be insanely expensive.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:18 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Sometimes gauges read funny. I would add a couple gallons to the tank just so you can say that you are certain that lack of gas is not the problem. Always best to start with the easiest solutions first to eliminate the obvious.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Cenobia
1st Gear
AAAARGH! D:

Ace, I wish I had read your second post before I did this, or listened to your first post...

I replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump, but it turns out that I was just out of gas while my gauge was reading 1/4 tank. With the new pump in it read empty, and after adding gas it runs like normal now.

I'm such an idiot...At least I know how to do that maintenance now...I guess.

I noticed the weird starting issues haven't gone away, but otherwise it's back to normal. As a bonus the ABS module issues have (I'm sure just temporarily) gone away.

In summary you should always start with the simplest troubleshooting options and work your way up, rather than buy a ~$250 part as your first step.

:(

Old 09-26-2011, 04:25 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Don't beat yourself up too bad. If not specifically your problem many of have been there and done that. That is how we learned. Glad you are back on the road.