Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

gas mileage, i'm averaging 18.9-19.1 ALL the time, and have

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Huligan
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The computer is generous in my MCS

I have found that my OBC is generous by about 2 mpg. It reports about 28 mpg when I actually get 26 mpg. You can see what other Cooper S's get at http://www.myautolog.com. If you start entering your fuelings, you can compare as well.

Huligan

Old 12-14-2004, 01:17 AM
isykal
2nd Gear
this is very interesting. i have a 2004 cvt and i constantly get 24-26mpg and can't seem to get any higher. this is mixed driving by the way. i think this is low compared to what other cvt owners have said about their mpg. highway driving for me is in the high 20s or low 30s.

Old 12-14-2004, 02:04 AM
Tremec
2nd Gear
I cant remember if I posted since I did the 03-05 works package upgrade or not but I did the upgrade the tuesday before thanksgiving. The upgrade consists of larger fuel injectors, colder plugs, cold air intake (opens to the cowl @ 4500 rpm) via vacume diaphram, this was added along with the latest ecu software version, and the emissions recall fix.

My milage is still 28-32mpg depending on my foot :smile: I'm still out on a decision about the CAI as compared to the madness intake I enjoyed the sound from the madness intake Although the bottom end is less jerkier at low rpm launches since the change I will repost after changing back to the madness intake if the jerk/lurch comes back as I have felt all along that the free flowing CAI's let the airflow velocity slow too much at low rpm and may be the cause for some of the yoyo and lurching.
Also the DSC is not as over-reactive to wheelspin as it was before, is new software the result of this?
If you watch your MPG indicator it updates slowly and kind of randomly it may jump 1 tenth or 2mpg even after 300 miles. Im not sure what triggers it to update but it seems much more random after 200 + miles on the current tank of fuel. This is 1 reason the numbers dont "crunch" out when you do the math but mine is usually within 2 mpg

Old 12-14-2004, 02:15 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
these are my #'s exactly! OBC lies to the tune of between 2 and 3 MPG.Actual : 25-26

Originally Posted by Huligan
I have found that my OBC is generous by about 2 mpg. It reports about 28 mpg when I actually get 26 mpg. You can see what other Cooper S's get at http://www.myautolog.com. If you start entering your fuelings, you can compare as well.

Huligan

Old 12-14-2004, 02:22 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tremec
I cant remember if I posted since I did the 03-05 works package upgrade or not but I did the upgrade the tuesday before thanksgiving. The upgrade consists of larger fuel injectors, colder plugs, cold air intake (opens to the cowl @ 4500 rpm) via vacume diaphram, this was added along with the latest ecu software version, and the emissions recall fix.

My milage is still 28-32mpg depending on my foot :smile: I'm still out on a decision about the CAI as compared to the madness intake I enjoyed the sound from the madness intake Although the bottom end is less jerkier at low rpm launches since the change I will repost after changing back to the madness intake if the jerk/lurch comes back as I have felt all along that the free flowing CAI's let the airflow velocity slow too much at low rpm and may be the cause for some of the yoyo and lurching.
Also the DSC is not as over-reactive to wheelspin as it was before, is new software the result of this?
If you watch your MPG indicator it updates slowly and kind of randomly it may jump 1 tenth or 2mpg even after 300 miles. Im not sure what triggers it to update but it seems much more random after 200 + miles on the current tank of fuel. This is 1 reason the numbers dont "crunch" out when you do the math but mine is usually within 2 mpg
I have not heard anybody connect the CAI to "jerkyness". My car did not jerk until the software update.......hmmm. When I drove my car home from Ft Lauderdale to Atlanta I was getting 30.2 mpg. Now after several mods I'm getting 20.1. The first mods I did barely touched the MPG number but after the "upgrade" and a 62mm TB things went south.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:05 AM
TonyS
1st Gear
When I had the thing for the 24hr test drive this past weekend...it was getting about 21-22 mpg in mixed driving/traffic/highway/twisties/leadfoot/granny style...I'll know more as I pick it up tomorrow and really get it out for some good averages....

Old 12-15-2004, 07:17 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to be hovering around 20 mpg. On my current tank I'm getting 17.2 mpg......post v39.2. This varies according to the average speed, but I think it also goes back to the well known fact that ALL MINIS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL. I've had the issue checked out and........ nothing. Shortly, I'll be going in for my 25,000 mi. service and plan to push a little harder, but I really don't expect anything to change. NO BIG DEAL.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:34 AM
lastrega
6th Gear

I have an average on 22.5 on my MCSC. this based on my OBC and the NAV System. Sometimes the two are off of 1 mile. My husband with his MCC is averaging 24 but he noticed that the OBC and the Nav Syst. are off of 2 miles. He is keeping track of the gas purchase vs miles driven.

On my old 2003 MCS I was averaging 29 in the city and 35 on the highway based on the NAV Syst. If I kept speed @ 60 on the highway I could get 39.5. I always thought it was too high.

MD STREGA2
DC STELLA

Old 12-18-2004, 12:10 PM
CGSHawkflyer
2nd Gear
Milage

Folks,

This is all about driving style. I drove my 05 MCS about 1200 miles before adding the JCW kit. It was getting between 26-31 MPG. The milage improved as the car gained milage.

After the JCW it droped off to about 27-29. I can still make it get over 30 if I drive for milage, but that is not what a MINI is all about. I do not "granny" the car, and in fact have had the ocassional DCS thrill. While MINI seems to think drifting throught a turn is a bad idea, I kind of think it is fun. This makes me think the DCS is a little too conservative.

I just returned from a 400+ mile trip yesterday and the car was getting 29 MPG on the highway running between 75 and 80 MPH. From my point of view that aint bad. What I have noticed about the MINI is that it is hard to put it "on the step" and keep it there. This is where you get up to speed and back off the throttle just to the point when if you backed off any more the car would no longer maintain it speed. That is the throttle setting you should drive at for the best milage. If you just get up to speed and don't back the throttle off a little the car will go the same speed but it will use more gas.

Incidently, the cruise control will not save you fuel over the "step" method. It will just get you to speed and hoid you there.

I have checked the OBC against paper and pencil. In my case it can be either optimistic or pesimistic depending on how I have been driving the car in the 60 or 70 miles just before refueling. It is never off by more than 2 MPG in either direction. The OBC kind of establishes a baseline in the first 100 miles of a fresh tank of gas. If you push the car hard and are running say 22-24 MPG during thaty time, it will be hard to offset that by driving more conservativly later. This tells me that the OBC is not simply dividing the fuel used by the miles driven as a human would. It is calculating an average based on the current live MPG against the stored MPG so far on that tank. This method of calculation can give false readings as many of you have discovered. This is also why it seems that the OBC is determining a new MPG at random times, it is actually just taking a long time for the new readings to averave in enough to make the total number change.

A lot of these errors will wash out if you use the second calculation stored in the OBC. That number is showing the MPG since the last reset too. If you never reset it you will get a good read on overall MPG.

I am amazed at the number of people that I read about who say they are getting lousy milage and don't understand why since they are shifting at the redline. One guy said he always kept his RPMs at 4000 or above because he heard that lugging the engine was bad for milage. He was astonished that he was only getting 21 MPG.

Regards
Phil

Old 12-18-2004, 04:28 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
I have been getting about 18-19 for the last month or so but I have a lot of mods. I think that something is screwed up because of the persisting stumbles, jerkyness, yo-yo. That has to be costing me milage. I am going out of town for a week starting Jan 3rd and the dealer will have the car all week to solve, or try to solve, various problems. I have the boost/vacumn gauge and it is "normal". Since the install of the miltek header and cat-back the stumbles have lessened but they are still there.

Old 12-20-2004, 03:37 PM
miniaq
2nd Gear
how is 16.5 gallons!!! that's what i'm getting with the 210 jcw car. i used to get 18.5 before the upgrade, but in all fairness my left foot has gotten heavier too. city driving only. this little monster is a gas guzzler

Old 12-20-2004, 04:54 PM
RmG
1st Gear
Hey CGS thanks for the bit on th 4000 rpm and gas milage.
I hardly shift under 4000 rpm (closer to 4500) and stay between 3800
and 4000 always. Me milage is in that 20 mpg range. Figured I was to blame so no worries on me part Me MINI loves that range... however I beg to ask if this is the wrong style to drive this car??
Oh yeah- gots a 05 MCS.

Old 12-20-2004, 04:59 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Hey if my sig doesn't say it then it seems to me you guys are driving it right

The way I look at it a tank doesn't cost all that much for fill up and I am only filling up once a week so what the heck. I am enjoying the ride

Cheers

Chris

Old 12-20-2004, 08:22 PM
cvstan
1st Gear
As long as we are comparing gas mileage...

I have a few other reference points. 1984 BMW 733i with 160k miles gets 18mpg in mixed city/highway. 1972 2002tii with turbo gets about 21mpg (runs rich for safety reasons). 2002 6-cyl Subaru Outback wagon gets a little under 20 while the 1991 BMW M5 gets a little over 20mpg. How can a MINI get about the same mileage as a 300+hp, 3900lb car? Must be a hole in the gas tank. My new 2005 MCS is getting about 25mpg and I am disappointed. Thought I would be in the 30s.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:48 PM
isykal
2nd Gear
i've gone back to the dealer for the emission recall so that they could update the computer to v39. now, i'm getting much lower mpg. i used to get around 23-26 mixed driving. now it's barely 20 and i really have to try hard to get 20. i thought v39 was supposed to improve mpg but i guess iwas wrong.

Old 12-21-2004, 02:20 AM
Tremec
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by miniaq
how is 16.5 gallons!!! that's what i'm getting with the 210 jcw car. i used to get 18.5 before the upgrade, but in all fairness my left foot has gotten heavier too. city driving only. this little monster is a gas guzzler
I upgraded my 03 MCS/JCW also to the 05 specs and V-39 software, I must admit I have to try harder to get the milage I used to but everyday I drive each way : 35+ expressway miles and then 10 "city" miles, I average 27-28 mpg @ 80mph @ 3400 rpm, 30-32mpg @ 70mph @ 3000 rpm, 32-34mpg @ 60-65 mph @ 26-2800rpm, anything slower but still crusing remains 32-34mpg, stop & go can be from 16-22mpg depending on my mood and if any hondas are around to antagonize I think the 225-50-17 tires helped out the milage a bit on the expressway for my commute as the "sweet spot" on my car seems to be 2800 - 3200 rpm. My computer usually comes up 1-3 mpg over my hand calculations but as ive stated before after logging 150= miles on the tank it dosent seem to update as often and when it does it does so in large jumps with more "history" to over come it seems odd to me, it should only be changing .1 to .3 at this stage yet suddenly after 25 miles it will jump or fall 1+mpg strange

Old 12-21-2004, 05:05 AM
minicar3
2nd Gear
My 05 MCS

I have been averaging 30.5 since I picked up this car. I do more highway driving than city. On the highway I usually run about 70mph and use the fuel consumption readout on the computer to adjust for maximum MPG. There is a fine point when you can get up to speed and back off the throttle just a tad and the consumption readout indicates that. That is, of course, when I don't have my foot into it.

Old 12-21-2004, 05:38 AM
Tremec
2nd Gear
Exactly, if you reset the counter (mpg) and practice/experiment you can see how minor adjustments to your driving style can make a big differance in consumption:smile: although most are not as fun as smoking that civic si off the line

Old 12-21-2004, 05:52 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by miniaq
So if your LEFT foot is heavier,maybe you should try driving with your foot off the brake
Its cold here now,and my MPG has dropped again to winter use.I get about 400KMs on 1/2 a tank in warm weather,now that winter has rolled around I'm getting 375KMs or so.I put some of that to letting the car warm up abit,3-5 minutes,wheel spin in snow/ice,cold wheel bearings which lead to roll resistance until things warm up.But I,m sill getting great MPG

Old 12-30-2004, 05:31 PM
conehead
3rd Gear
I have averaged 26.5 per gal fwy and 21 around town . The real killer was 11 mpg on the track

Old 12-31-2004, 09:20 AM
meb
6th Gear
I was getting 27.8 avg city/highway - 50%/50% - before my JCW install. 80-85 mph on the highway and basically the posted sppeed limits on seconbdary roads.

...an 05 S with 10K

Old 11-28-2005, 08:29 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
I get ~20mpg mix of hwy/city..
did a dyno over the weekend with A/F and looks like A/F ratio is at 14 up until 35mph and then drops to below 12 and stays there.. drops as much as to ~10.. I currently have a 16% and alta CAI and I guess it's not helping with leaning out..
I'll need to get a ECU flash (probably GIAC) to fix this pig.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:44 PM
xianqi
2nd Gear
My other car being a 69 road runner with a 383 ci motor, I love the gas milage i get out of the mini and i get to drive with a heavy foot too! According to the my OBC I average about 26 mpg, which i find simply amazing, driving my road runner with a heavy foot i get about 6 mpg. Driving conservatively i can almost get to 20.

Some asked how to reset the OBC, go to the mode you want, ie mpg and hold down the button for about 10 seconds, it'll reset.

Additionally, the mini runs pig rich stock, software such as mth will create power by optimizing the timing and leaning the mixture among other things.

Oh yea, I've got an 03' S model and on onramps I redline 1st, redline 2nd, redline 3rd and drop to 6th to cruise. I wish i could find the sweet spot, but i'm not that patient.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:41 PM
azminied
2nd Gear
Scooter is a Sept 02 MCS. I have had him a little over 2 months now. I am finding the Computer mpg is consistently high by 3mpg. I have been averaging roughly 22-24 on the Computer with mainly intown or heavy traffic fwy at 70-80(+when I can). When I check the mileage upon actual fill up I am around 19-22 real, hard calculated numbers. I am consistently using the first clickoff of the pump and not overfilling.

I tried grandma driving a couple of weeks ago and got 22mpg . I said forget that!!!!!!! I should think the MCS should roughly equal the MC if you can keep your foot out of it..... But i am finding out this is not true.

I am extremely disappointed in the mileage but LOVE power (and the Scharger whine ). Unfortunately I am coming from a Civic where my last tank was 36mpg.

-azminied

Old 01-13-2006, 03:23 PM
pooch1
5th Gear
)3 mcs 15% pulley and alta cai and Invidia.Just did Florida to Toronto all highway 31.7 mpg.The car does mostly highway never a gas consumption issue.

Quick Reply: gas mileage, i'm averaging 18.9-19.1 ALL the time, and have