Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Do i have a promlem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:40 AM
btor
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do i have a promlem.

11 mcs with 900 miles. When i first start up in the am i have a slight rattle sound that goes away after about 20-30 sec. Its only at idle on the first cold start of the day. Is this normal?

Old 07-16-2011, 11:56 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Difficult to say without hearing the sound. Ultimately you'll have to learn to distinguish between the assortment of rattly/diesely noises that the engine is supposed to make (injectors, etc.) from the one that is bad (the timing chain rattle). There are numerous threads dealing with the latter, many of which have links to posted videos of the timing chain rattle; I recommend you avail yourself of the search feature of the forum.

I'll venture a guess that, since yours only happens briefly at start-up, that it's one of the normal rattles that the engine makes. Check your oil level to be sure you're not low (a common cause of the timing chain rattle), and keep checking your oil regularly. If you're oil level is fine, you're probably fine too.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Aether
1st Gear
Normal with 2011s. Search on "wastegate".

Old 07-16-2011, 01:03 PM
btor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Aether
Normal with 2011s. Search on "wastegate".
I listened to all the youtube vids on the 2011. They all sound the same also called the dealer they stated the sound is normal on the 11s. Thanks for your help

Old 07-16-2011, 07:54 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
In some cases, it's said to be the fuel injectors and quite normal.

Could also be that at initial start up it just takes a few seconds for pressures to build so as to distribute the engine oil to all surfaces.

Check oil, change often for 2nd Gen N14 engines.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:13 PM
btor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
In some cases, it's said to be the fuel injectors and quite normal.

Could also be that at initial start up it just takes a few seconds for pressures to build so as to distribute the engine oil to all surfaces.

Check oil, change often for 2nd Gen N14 engines.
I'am so freaked out about the oil comsumption i check it twice a week and the car has 900 miles. I also will rotate the 17 runflats every 3000 miles. I also plan to change the oil every 5000 miles.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:22 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
lol - every 4-5 fill ups would be aok to check it. Mini doesn't make a zipper bag to carry a quart of oil around anymore. They did make them back when the MINI's didn't consume oil though.....

But, you can purchase one from a BMW parts department, as long as you don't mind the BMW emblem on it.