Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

My windows whine!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 PM
SirTravis
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My windows whine!

Hey ya'll long time, no see. I have come to the brain trust with some really squeeky windows. Happens when its hot. So something to do with expansion. Also my passenger side window jumps and shakes when it comes up. My BMW guys were scratchin their heads. So, similar problems? I figure I need to lube, but Im hoping it'll be somthing I can do with the door pannel ON. Perhaps it's the weather stripping?

Thanks Folks!

Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I read of people having issues with dust getting caught up in the weather stripping but most likely lack of lube. I just lubed mine up 2 days ago and it's working great. You'll have to take the door panel off. Just the two screws on the door and a bit of muscle to pull the door panels off. Its primarily held off by tabs so just yank it off.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I just had a window motor replaced in something other than a MINI

the installer - not the dealer, but a place that does only power window repair in your driveway - told me to regularly spray a lil' lithium grease ( from one of those spray cars) in the widow channel.

The Miata crowd has a big power window issue too ... and they also recommend a lil' lith' spray in the channels every 6 months.

I can tell you that when I HAD a problem on my Miata I did take the door apart (b4 I used a lith' spray) and the channel was full of a thick grease, almost wax.

Some believe that lith' is bad & so use silicon.

I dunno which is better ..... but it appears CLEAR that some sort of lube is a GOOD idea.

After cleaning the wax out of my Miata door and replacing with a fresh lube the window shot up and down like a champ.

If I were you I'd spray a lil grease or silicon lube at the top of each channel, and repeat a time of two for a few weeks. If mine hang up at all I'll spray a small shot of lith' grease there, even if it DOES mean some extra duty window cleaning - which is less of an annoyance then the cost of replacing a window regulator!

On the other hand if it IS the weather stripping, be happy it fits tight and live with it - RAIN-X on the side glass WILL probably help.