Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Must Read About time Power steering pump failure !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:56 PM
FP
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just filed a complaint with NHTSA about the PS issue too. What is taking Mini so long to admit a recall is necessary?

BTW, I called the dealer in Schaumburg and they give the Mini Cooper Car Club a discount. After the core deposit it's $607.00

Last edited by FP; 09-15-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:27 AM
azamjunejo
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iris's mini
Hi everyone!
I just want to give an update on my issue with the Power-steering pump.
The NHTSA has contacted me and has spoken to the corporate office of BMW-Mini located in New Jersey.
Both The NHTSA and BMW-Mini has been informed on many of our posted complaints in regards to the power-steering pump on the NHTSA website.

Make sure to post your issue on the website https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Believe it or not posting your issue is helping all the Mini community tremendously....I'm soon to go in and get a new pump installed which was arranged by corporate Mini/ BMW. What gets me mad is that I already spent lots of money fixing it myself and now Mini wants to put a new one in.....

To keep informed with this issue..... the investigation is under action number EA11005 http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/
I have an email address and direct # to both the corporate office and the person at the NHTSA office who is handling the Mini Cooper case. PM me if you need it.
Log your issues @ the NHTSA website...
-Iris
Iris,

It's great to hear that you got your repair covered. I just left a note with the NHTSA and Mini, and hoping to get the same results. I'll probably follow-up with a phone call to try and seal the deal. Any tips that helped you?

Thanks

Old 10-02-2011, 03:45 PM
FP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Iris's mini
Hi everyone!
I just want to give an update on my issue with the Power-steering pump.
The NHTSA has contacted me and has spoken to the corporate office of BMW-Mini located in New Jersey.
Both The NHTSA and BMW-Mini has been informed on many of our posted complaints in regards to the power-steering pump on the NHTSA website.

Make sure to post your issue on the website https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Believe it or not posting your issue is helping all the Mini community tremendously....I'm soon to go in and get a new pump installed which was arranged by corporate Mini/ BMW. What gets me mad is that I already spent lots of money fixing it myself and now Mini wants to put a new one in.....

To keep informed with this issue..... the investigation is under action number EA11005 http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/
I have an email address and direct # to both the corporate office and the person at the NHTSA office who is handling the Mini Cooper case. PM me if you need it.
Log your issues @ the NHTSA website...
-Iris

I've logged my issue over the phone, and have faxed them the info they requested. I've sent you a PM for the number.

Thanks for your help.

FP

Old 10-05-2011, 12:50 AM
azamjunejo
1st Gear
I got a call from someone at Mini USA today. I'm pretty surprised they responded so quickly. I'm going to call them back tomorrow, but I wanted to get prepped beforehand. The person who left a voicemail asked if I had gotten the power steering issue looked at and if I knew specifically what the issue was. I haven't gotten this looked at yet, but all I know is my power steering cuts in and out all the time. Will this info hurt my chances of Mini covering a repair?

Old 10-05-2011, 05:25 AM
fanta
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by azamjunejo
I got a call from someone at Mini USA today. I'm pretty surprised they responded so quickly. I'm going to call them back tomorrow, but I wanted to get prepped beforehand. The person who left a voicemail asked if I had gotten the power steering issue looked at and if I knew specifically what the issue was. I haven't gotten this looked at yet, but all I know is my power steering cuts in and out all the time. Will this info hurt my chances of Mini covering a repair?
Please keep us posted. I am curious what Mini is going to do.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Zugspitze
Neutral
Just filed a complaint with the transportation Admin. I understand they have received 110 complaints so far.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:27 AM
FP
5th Gear
Does anyone have the number for BMW and or contact to call?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 AM
FP
5th Gear
Well, I called the BMW/Mini phone number that is listed in our Owner's Manual, and spoke to someone about this issue, and told them I had already filed a case with the NHTSA, and now wanted to notify them about this issue, and asked how they could help. I was told that I needed to have a diagnosis from the dealer before they could review the case. I guess that while its a known problem, it makes sense. I made an appointment to take it in knowing I had to pay for diagnosing the problem. I took it in yesterday, and explained what I had done, and that Mini Customer Affairs needed them to look at it first. I was pleasantly surprised when the Service Writer called me over to tell me Mini was covering the repair.

This was a nice experience....

Last edited by FP; 10-18-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:35 PM
KeithGT
1st Gear
Well, this is happening to mine also now. Had it happen to my wife last night, getting off the interstate and she had no power steering, went to class when she left all was fine. Happened to her again today on her way home from work. Im going to start driving it, id rather something happen while im driving it then her. Ill also be filing this complaint, and plan on going through BBA to get it fixed....Im hoping theyll let me do some sort of core swap or something, i dont have an extra car for this thing to be down for a week or however long it takes them.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:38 PM
FP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by KeithGT
Well, this is happening to mine also now. Had it happen to my wife last night, getting off the interstate and she had no power steering, went to class when she left all was fine. Happened to her again today on her way home from work. Im going to start driving it, id rather something happen while im driving it then her. Ill also be filing this complaint, and plan on going through BBA to get it fixed....Im hoping theyll let me do some sort of core swap or something, i dont have an extra car for this thing to be down for a week or however long it takes them.
It's a 2 hour job at the dealer. I can only share my experience, and was pleasantly surprised Mini fixed it at their expense.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:48 PM
KeithGT
1st Gear
I can do it, im a mechanic at heart and work at a shop. This is my wifes DD though, she works and goes to school full time, and where she works and i work are 2 very opposite ways. I cant have this car be down for a week over this. Im hoping BBA will work with me, charge me a core or something and ship me one. Worse case scenario, guess ill shell out $500 for a reman one so i can swap it the same day. My nearest mini dealer is 2 hours away, and my cars got 105K on it now, i dont expect theyll do anything about it. I cant believe they just shut off like this though. Crazy.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:18 PM
azamjunejo
1st Gear
Finally got some traction from BMW America, but at all what I was expecting. Got a call from the local service advisor (a rude one at that) that inspected my car and they said that BMW America is prepared to cover 50% of the repair costs ($1,072.16 full cost). I told him that I need to talk to BMW before I committed to that offer with which he replied "good luck". The guy was a jerk from the beginning when I brought my car into get checked out (on my own dime of course). He acted like he had no idea that the power steering issue was such a widespread issue (bull$@*!) and that there was a investigation going one. He also tried to tell me something like "...it's an old car, so this is considered normal wear and tear.." to which I told him I didn't need to discuss with him and that it was between me and BMW. The "Action Plan" inspection came back showing a faulty power steering pump and lines, and total over $4500 in repairs!! In addition to my power steering issues, they said my horn didn't work and that my control arm bushings were cracked. The funny thing is that I just had my struts changed the other day and my mechanic scrubbed their so-called action plan to which he said that my control arm bushings were fine and my horn was working as expected.

Anyways, I reached out to the escalation manager on Friday to get his reasoning behind this only covering 50%, but no call back yet. I found it ironic that the BMW didn't have the decency to contact me directly and had a rude local service advisor deliver the news. I just can't understand why they won't cover the entire cost. It's like admitting that they're 50% at fault.

Last edited by azamjunejo; 10-24-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-25-2011, 04:51 PM
fanta
2nd Gear
Those getting calls from Mini/BMW, is this due to you filing a complaint with the NHTSA or did you contact Mini/BMW directly? The reason I ask is that I filed a complaint with the NHTSA a few months back and haven't heard anything yet. My p/s pump is getting replaced this week at a local shop and I am hoping to get reimbursed for at least some of the cost. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:27 AM
FP
5th Gear
IMO you should call Mini/BMW after you file. Keep in mind they want you to get a diagnostic from the dealer. Like I said in my post, I was pleasantly surprised when the dealer told me Mini covered the repair 100%.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
No more issues with anyone?

Old 12-31-2011, 12:45 PM
JGRAB12
Neutral
I have an '04 MCS and 2 weeks ago as I was returning home from work, the power steering pump failed as I exited the interstate onto the off-ramp...gave me a thrill at 70mph to not have power steering as I made the sweeping right turn...ended up on the shoulder of the ramp as I braked and jerked on the wheel. The pump appeared to pick back up when I got to the top of the ramp so I assumed it was a fluke. Last night the pump apparently failed for good, as the high-pitched whining has disappeared along with the power steering. I filed a claim on the safegov website and will call in a claim also. I called the Mini dealer in Naperville and a new pump is $710 and a new fan is $170. They didn't offer any discounts and told me it would be a $60 core charge if I didn't bring the old pump with me.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 AM
BlkminiNLR
Neutral
I know we are not supposed to point people to other sites... and I don't want facebook to become the place where you guys discuss your stuff... We should do it here in a community that loves us. However, I know the guys at this facebook page and they are hitting the MINI USA facebook page at least once a day. If you guys would like the page and leave a portion of your story it would really help the effort!

http://www.facebook.com/MINIProblems

Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 AM
IDOXLR8
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Power Steering Pump Fan Question

Originally Posted by u68423
My fan is working fine, the pump just failed as they all do some early some at 100k so let's hope BMW cooperates
How do you know if the fan is working, it doesn't run all the time, AL.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:51 PM
muggy
4th Gear
So I took my car for a hard drive up in the hills yesterday, and afterwards my car had the humming noise going after it was shut off. After reading threads I believe the power steering pump was still on, My battery has drained when I woke up today.

I'm unsure what needs to be fixed at this point - do I need to replace this resistor? Is my fan not working properly? My steering felt fine and the pump just kept running, so is the pump likely ok?

Also, the power steering fluid reservoir looked like it had leaked out the top, possibly from overheating.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should check out first? I have an early 06 mcs. 56k

Old 01-06-2012, 03:44 PM
IDOXLR8
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Steering Pump Problems

Originally Posted by muggy
So I took my car for a hard drive up in the hills yesterday, and afterwards my car had the humming noise going after it was shut off. After reading threads I believe the power steering pump was still on, My battery has drained when I woke up today.

I'm unsure what needs to be fixed at this point - do I need to replace this resistor? Is my fan not working properly? My steering felt fine and the pump just kept running, so is the pump likely ok?

Also, the power steering fluid reservoir looked like it had leaked out the top, possibly from overheating.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should check out first? I have an early 06 mcs. 56k
There is no way replace any part the triggers the pump curcuit. All the electral parts are in with the power steering pump assembly. Yes you will need to replace the power steering pump and fan ASAP. As per the running wile tunned off, I found turning the steering wheel side to side shut mine off and if that doesn't work you will need to disconnect the neg battery cable. This will not get any better, you may find the power steering will completly shut down wile you are driving, please be ready for this! AL.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:23 PM
basil's babe
Neutral
I so have to call. My ps went out (squirted all over passenger front wheel), then would work fine. Slightly low level, filled it. Now completely out. Pump still full. I don't know even know where to start, so this helps. Can/should i still be driving him? I didn't really think it would do anymore damage, but some of the other threads seem to say it will.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:40 PM
rhogg
1st Gear
Another one

2004 MCS 63,000 miles Occasional power steering cut out then dead battery from the ever - running power steering pump. I am going to swap out and replace with the new ducting. This is the first real maintenance problem I have had. Other than replacing the PS fan once before, and the freezing door locks.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:40 PM
slowjetta
1st Gear
Arg, just created new thread before seeing this.
No blown fuses, fan is good and spins freely
crapped out the other day when it was freezing, then started working for a day when 50 again.
Jack up car and works much better without load of car, but has a notchy feel.

Anyone think mine might be redeemable with new fluid?
calling complaint number and ready to rip out to shoot to BBA reman. at least I'm lucky enough that taunton ma is less than an hour away

Old 01-25-2012, 04:00 PM
slowjetta
1st Gear
filed complaint with NHTSA and consumer reports
Currently on the phone with mini getting run around for having 100K

Funny that.....my 95 E36 325i with 190K on the clock was a rust bucket but power steering was Great every mile

Will update with my progress

Old 01-26-2012, 02:51 PM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just checked my fuse for the PS fan and it was blown.

Checked the fan and it is a little stiff to turn so I have my first project.

Glad I checked before the temps start getting warmer.

Quick Reply: Must Read About time Power steering pump failure !!!