Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Vibration only under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 05:19 AM
HoustonCoog
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I think the motor mount was my problem. I replaced the lower with the BSH Race Mount, and the upper with an OEM (couldn't get the TSW) and VIP Engine Stabilizer. WIth this setup it seems to have solved my wobble problem. I will get a better idea in the next week or two if this in fact really cured it but initially it seems to have really gotten rid of the problem. FYI I took out my lower mount and it was complete shot, before I removed it I push on the engine some and it was way too easy to move.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:24 AM
FlipSmini
2nd Gear
My lower was shot too... Hmm migh have to replace the top one...

Old 07-19-2010, 02:16 PM
koyama
1st Gear
Late last year I had a vibration that was related to acceleration. really noticed it passing on the freeway. Bad vibration under throttle, that would almost disappear when I let off the gas to return to cruising speed.

Long story short, replaced each front axle half-shaft. Turns out my left one was bad; the splines that engage it with the driveline were worn, so under acceleration it would cause that vibration. Since it's been replaced, no vibration.

If you've looked at everything else, including tire balance and such, have your mechanic check the axle.

Brian

Old 07-19-2010, 02:20 PM
CRoth
4th Gear
Exactly what I said in a previous post.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:12 PM
FlipSmini
2nd Gear
My axels came in today so I'll be changing them this week. Hopefully it fixes it so I can take a video around the nürenburgring soon!

Old 07-19-2010, 03:23 PM
CRoth
4th Gear
Very nice! Good luck with the install. It's a little time consuming but not very difficult.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:36 AM
FlipSmini
2nd Gear
Ok I got my new Axels in... I should of took pictures for a write up, but I'll just do a text one....

Shizzam, my car is runnin like a champ again. My passenger one was way jacked up there was no grease in the inner cv joint and it had a slot of play. The carrier bearing was also shot.
I'll be doing a write up soon I figured out some great tips I can pass along!

Old 07-24-2010, 11:38 AM
FlipSmini
2nd Gear
It's flipin sweet to have my mini back again! Tomorrow is the nürenburgring

Old 07-24-2010, 11:43 AM
CRoth
4th Gear
God job! The only sticky parts for me were removing the axle nut (had to use an impact gun) and starting the three bolts on the carrier bearing due to the lack of working space.

Were those any problem for you?

Old 01-30-2015, 03:45 AM
CoopeR50
1st Gear
G'Day everyone,

Just thought I would share my experience here. Recently we had a problem with our Mini Cooper where this strange vibration manifested itself in the front end of our car. Whilst the Mini was in the garage for repair I googled this problem which led me here to this forum thread.

The information I found here helped the garage diagnose the problem which turned out to be the CV joint on the lefthand driveshaft. After inspection of the CV joint, the mechanic discovered a dent inside the casing where one of the bearings had stopped rotating properly and as a result a dent or groove formed inside the casing. This is what was causing the strange vibration under acceleration. So, once the whole lefthand driveshaft was replaced, gone was the vibration. Hope this helps someone experiencing the same symptoms.

Cheers, CoopeR50

See pics:

Name:  CV%20Casing_zpsnarg2cn3.jpg
Views: 6845
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  Bearing_zpsgmtswdrz.jpg
Views: 6591
Size:  66.4 KB

Old 03-24-2015, 10:56 AM
tragedybysyntax
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Axle eh? I had my passenger side done in the winter and changed left / right mount. having the same problem as you guys had with acceleration on hwy, let off gas and problem goes away. I was thinking it was clutch related since the clutch is slipping and needs replaced. hmmmmmmm

Old 10-23-2015, 06:11 AM
daviday
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Having the same issue.

I just checked under the car, is there supposed to be any play in the driveshaft, to and fro the case? There's a few mm of play back and forth.

Plan on doing the LCM and sway bar bushings this week. The inner and outter tierod ends have been done. After the bushings I'm not sure what else there is? I hit a nasty pothole and had blow out recently, noticed the camber is a little too positive on the drivers side even after an alignment. Wheel bearings seem to be OK. No play.

What a pain in the ***. As soon as I come off the throttle, smooth as can be. Looks as if after this all the mounts need replacing.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:31 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by daviday
Having the same issue.

I just checked under the car, is there supposed to be any play in the driveshaft, to and fro the case? There's a few mm of play back and forth.

Plan on doing the LCM and sway bar bushings this week. The inner and outter tierod ends have been done. After the bushings I'm not sure what else there is? I hit a nasty pothole and had blow out recently, noticed the camber is a little too positive on the drivers side even after an alignment. Wheel bearings seem to be OK. No play.

What a pain in the ***. As soon as I come off the throttle, smooth as can be. Looks as if after this all the mounts need replacing.
Did this all occur after you hit the pothole?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-23-2015, 09:58 PM
daviday
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Did this all occur after you hit the pothole?
Not immediately, but yes, all the symptoms are post pothole.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:25 PM
daviday
3rd Gear
Just brought it to a more competent shop. Hard finding those open on the weekends...
They straightened out the alignment but said the mounts do need to be replaced. The vibration is still there while on the throttle, not as violent, but still pronounced enough.
Something else odd developed (of course), there is a squeak that's coming from what seems to be the same corner only while the clutch is engaged. If I press on the clutch it goes away. I'm guessing it's the cv axle as it's the only thing that would make sense.

Cheapest I found the mounts were for $300. I knew they were going to need to be done at some point I guess. Has anyone done the powerflex inserts? At least they look like inserts.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:57 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by daviday
Just brought it to a more competent shop. Hard finding those open on the weekends...
They straightened out the alignment but said the mounts do need to be replaced. The vibration is still there while on the throttle, not as violent, but still pronounced enough.
Something else odd developed (of course), there is a squeak that's coming from what seems to be the same corner only while the clutch is engaged. If I press on the clutch it goes away. I'm guessing it's the cv axle as it's the only thing that would make sense.

Cheapest I found the mounts were for $300. I knew they were going to need to be done at some point I guess. Has anyone done the powerflex inserts? At least they look like inserts.
Are you talking about the engine and transmission mounts? If so, we have them here for way less than $300. We also have a great DIY here. As for the noise, you sure it's not coming from the clutch area? It going away makes me think it's possibly your throwout bearing...

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-26-2015, 09:47 AM
daviday
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Are you talking about the engine and transmission mounts? If so, we have them here for way less than $300. We also have a great DIY here. As for the noise, you sure it's not coming from the clutch area? It going away makes me think it's possibly your throwout bearing...
Thank you. That would make some sense and really really suck. I had the transmission replaced less than 20k miles ago along with a new clutch.

Thank you for the link also.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:57 AM
daviday
3rd Gear
Edit.

Last edited by daviday; 10-26-2015 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Whoops
Old 11-04-2015, 03:54 PM
daviday
3rd Gear
Just to post a little update regretfully. I got the car back last night and I've replaced essentially the entire front end at this point including updating LCA bushies to powerflex. The cv's were replaced about 18mos ago when I replaced the transmission, I believe they're aftermarket but will confirm tomorrow. What I forgot to mention was the fact that my car is lowered on coils. Not super low but there's minimal wheel gap, I was never a "stance" guy but the car really looks great and felt even better for the ~1000 miles I drove it prior to this issue. I'm afraid this is going to be very difficult to correct the way I had hoped after reading everything. It seems as if once you alter the geometry of these cars all bets are off.
I know this is probably the wrong section as this is stock problems and this isn't a stock problem anymore but I'm really at a loss. I had another alignment after the LCA bushies and was really hoping I'd get my fun little car back.

If anyone has any insight as to how to correct this the right way I'd be very appreciative. I'd rather not replace the axles just to have them wear out again in a short time. I'm in this car for the long haul at this point.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:10 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are lowered nor than an inch, it changes the geometry and the axle will wear faster. My guess is you have the cheapest axles in there and they wore out quick with your ride height.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:05 PM
daviday
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gpwpat
If you are lowered nor than an inch, it changes the geometry and the axle will wear faster. My guess is you have the cheapest axles in there and they wore out quick with your ride height.
Unfortunately or fortunately I was wrong with what was in there. They were actually the original axles. For some reason I had thought they were replaced when the trans was replaced. Replaced the left side with a new one this week and the car has felt perfect. Finally.

Thanks again guys.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:08 AM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. I ordered axles and they had to be made. My axles won't be here for another week. I can't wait for the violent shakes under acceleration to be gone. By the end of next weekend I will have new brakes, bearings, axles, and all of my leaks will be sorted. My bushings and ball joints have already been replaced, so it should feel like a new car.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:14 AM
daviday
3rd Gear
Thanks man. I'm assuming you went with the driveshaftshop guys. I looked at that but couldn't justify it. What really surprised me was how quickly it went from a slight vibration to barely drive-able. You're gonna love your car again when you get them in there if it's been behaving anything like mine was.