Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Airbag Problem 938A Fault Code

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 06:53 PM
dbrub2
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag Problem 938A Fault Code

2007 R56 (build date 09/06) In 20 Nov 08 (31K miles) had the seat belt warning light on continually. Dealer reset the light. On 25 Feb 09 (35K miles) the light stayed on again. Different dealer reset light. Description of service states "Found stored 93A8 Fault Code, Cleared Faults. Code not currently present."

Well the light is on again. Fortunately I have found a BMW enthusiast with a DIS system that is what the dealers use to run the diagnostics on the MINI. I was shocked to see what the diagnostics say and what the dealer did not tell me. The diagnostic immediately found the error in the ACSM-MRS Crash Safety Module. What concerned me is the recommendation to the person doing the service. Here is what the DIS stated (see attachments):

"B6577_MRS61 / Fault Status 22 The cause of the fault (line break, driver's airbag stage 1 and driver's airbag stage 2) indicates a defective plug connection in the triggering circuits of the drivers airbag. The fault occurred frequently from SOP 09/06 until end of June 2007. This means, in all probability the airbag module is defective (95% probability). Replace the airbag module with adapter lead as per EDC as the cable is connected from the airbag to the coil spring assembly."

I may not be the most safety conscious guy around but it sure seems to me that MINI has knowingly allowed a condition to continue that has the potential for serious injury to the driver due to failing to resolve a faulty airbag. Any service technician worth their salt would see that the SOP date of my MINI is exactly in line with the 09/06 to 06/07 and that a 95% probability is about as high as it gets that the airbag lead is in fact defective. Even though at the time of the diagnostic check the fault was not present. Looking at the fault memory the current fault frequency was 33 so even though the fault was not present you could tell it had occurred multiple times...just the thing you would expect with a "defective plug connection" as stated in the diagnostic output.

Any recommendations? The car is no longer under warranty but since this was initially reported back when it was under warranty should repair be covered? Makes you wonder what other "things" the diagnostic system is telling the service person but is their "secret". Perhaps we can require that the output of the diagnostics be provided after each service in detail.

Dan

Attached Thumbnails Airbag Problem 938A Fault Code-p6120005.jpg   Airbag Problem 938A Fault Code-p6120008.jpg   Airbag Problem 938A Fault Code-p6120006.jpg  
Old 06-15-2010, 04:02 AM
fnc
1st Gear
The best way to deal with questionable airbags is to test everything else in the system. You cannot safely test an airbag off the car.

The airbag control module monitors it continuously and if it sees an improper resistance it sets a fault.

There are special tools to simulate the correct resistance of an airbag. This is how I deal with questionable bags. You remove the airbag in question, store it safely away from work area. Then install the special tool that simulates the airbag. If fault is no longer present, bag is at fault. Quite cut and dry. Most MINI shops should have and be able to perform this test.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:38 PM
dbrub2
Neutral
DIS had additional info that I did not include in the post. It described the method fopr testing the connector and lead and indicated that since it was an intermittent problem that the lead and connector should be tugged and moved while checking resistance to confirm the problem was in the cable and/or connector. The point of my post is that the first service technician should have performed this and corrected the problem instead of leaving a faulty airbag module that could fail to fire when needed. That is a pretty strong example of negligence if I am not mistaken.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:39 PM
dbrub2
Neutral
DIS had additional info that I did not include in the post. It described the method for testing the connector and lead and indicated that since it was an intermittent problem that the lead and connector should be tugged and moved while checking resistance to confirm the problem was in the cable and/or connector. The point of my post is that the first service technician should have performed this and corrected the problem instead of leaving a faulty airbag module that could fail to fire when needed. That is a pretty strong example of negligence if I am not mistaken.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:31 AM
korby
6th Gear
Mine was built around the same time , same problem , they had to change the steering wheel because it didn't match the new ones and the newer airbag wouldn't fit . One dealer blew me off completely . Irvine Mini said they would order the part and never did , Crevier wouldn't even let me drive it before it was fixed .