Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Too cold to shift!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 11:42 AM
joedude99
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my MCS in for frozen shifter and they fixed it. The receipt says that they replaced the shift console and a couple of lugs. So far no problems.

Old 01-07-2004, 08:32 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
Well, it looks like my 05/03 MCS has this frozen shift cable deal. It was all of 23 degrees F. this morning. I would go nowhere for 5-10 minutes while the cables thawed. I had the same issue every winter with my late model MR2. :???:
I'll add this to my list...

Old 01-08-2004, 10:10 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i guess i must've lucked out. mines a 06/03 build and i dont' have
that problem. its been from -2F to 19F this week. windchill from -25 to
8F :smile:

Old 01-09-2004, 06:10 PM
kumquat78
3rd Gear
>>
>>Another quote from the album that seems appropriate..."You take this car and give it to George Wallace!"

OK, bring it on, "we get 100 miles to the gallon to, if the fan belt breaks, we use a rubber band" or, sarcastically, "a volkswagen is a sports car?, I'm sorry man, but I thought a maserati was a sports car, but, uh, volkswagen?"

what a killer album

Old 01-10-2004, 02:37 PM
911RSAmerica
2nd Gear
My 5/02 build MCS shifter just froze in first gear (13 F outside). It thawed out after driving it around in first for 15 min. Guess I need a new shifter cable.

Old 01-10-2004, 03:27 PM
CirqueDeSoMini
2nd Gear
the '04 mcs manual states " do not let the engine warm up with the vehicle at a standstill. Move off immediately at a moderate engine speed "...I wonder if the the cables can be gotten to for light maintainence ....like a spray-on anti-frezze lubricant? or, now that we know that mini will replace them ; just go ahead and get it knocked out by the dealer!

Old 01-10-2004, 06:10 PM
cstrassburger
Neutral
My 2003 MCS is currently spending the weekend @ Patrick MINI here in Chicago for exactly this same problem. Apparently, according to the Service Manager, Brad, they have ordered replacement transmission cable(s) and will replace these (this) to fix this problem.

Atleast Patrick gave me a 2004 Z4 as a loaner while they figured it out ....

Its cold here in Chicago .... colder than Atlanta where my MINI and I are both from ....

Old 01-10-2004, 08:18 PM
jeffreyevens
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
trailblazer, my 04 mcs has been doing the same thing all week.called the dealer about it,my service adviser said this happens on some mini's. i'am calling monday to make appointment,serive dept must document problem before ordering new parts. adviser says there are updated and improved shift cables,plus they will do somthing addtional to better the insulation properties of the cable assembly.
hope this cures the problem :smile: let you know the outcome : :smile:

regards, jeff

Old 01-12-2004, 10:12 AM
joedude99
3rd Gear
FYI, I also called my local service adviser, and he told me that they had been replacing cables, but that the problem was recurring. He said that there might be a fix in the next couple of weeks. They are not sure whether it's also the weight of the oil in the transmission or whether one of the shift gates of some other part is frozen. I hope there is an answer soon! I have had a lot of thing break on my car under warranty!

Old 01-12-2004, 06:56 PM
BuckeyeMCS
5th Gear
>>FYI, I also called my local service adviser, and he told me that they had been replacing cables, but that the problem was recurring. He said that there might be a fix in the next couple of weeks. They are not sure whether it's also the weight of the oil in the transmission or whether one of the shift gates of some other part is frozen. I hope there is an answer soon! I have had a lot of thing break on my car under warranty!
MAG in Columbus is saying the same thing. When I talked with them last week they had not heard of the problem. Since then an "s" had come in and they called the "hot line". Mini said to replace the cables.

Old 01-14-2004, 05:15 PM
trailblazer
2nd Gear
Hi guys - I'm back. Sorry for the delay, but it has taken me this long to get my car fixed... I then begged him to call the MINI tech support, but he was still not convinced that I even had a problem. Anyhow, I left the car overnight because they couldn't find a problem and wanted to try it first thing in the morning.

The next day, sure enough they couldn't find a problem. But when they brought the car out, the tranny was stiff! How could they not notice it? A technician came out and suggested that I run the car 10 minutes to warm things up! He even said that I might consider leaving the car running while I go back into the house! Is this guy on crack or something???

Anyhow, I pitched a fit. After a big fuss, I finally convinced them to call MINI tech support. Sure enough, MINI was aware of the problem and recommended that the cables be replaced. Wasn't that what I was saying all along?

The point is, if you are having this problem, you MUST insist on the repair. Do not let them tell you that this is normal. Thanks again everyone for all of your help and info. If it were not for this thread, I'm not sure that I would have been able to get my car fixed.

Old 01-14-2004, 05:22 PM
BrtshRceGr
1st Gear
Yup-

Just got my car back from Classic service for the same problem, they replaced the shifter cables. Mine's an 03/02 build! It was quite disconcerting when it first happened, a very helpless felling!

It would thaw out after 10 minutes or so, but I wasn't about to go through that ritual everytime I attempted to drive the car. The shifter has a slightly different feel now, not as light, a little meatier, but not anything bad. Throws seem a might shorter too!

Happy Motoring

Brian

Old 01-14-2004, 05:22 PM
BrtshRceGr
1st Gear
Yup-

Just got my car back from Classic service for the same problem, they replaced the shifter cables. Mine's an 03/02 build! It was quite disconcerning when it first happened, a very helpless felling!

It would thaw out after 10 minutes or so, but I wasn't about to go through that ritual everytime I attempted to drive the car. The shifter has a slightly different feel now, not as light, a little meatier, but not anything bad. Throws seem a might shorter too!

Happy Motoring

Brian

Old 01-17-2004, 08:09 AM
sniece
1st Gear
OK, so for those who have had the 'fix' implemented, has it made a difference? I wonder if there are two different issues here. On my '02 MC, when it's been sitting below about -10 C for a while, when I start the car there's a light clattering noise from the transmission (goes away when I push in the clutch), until the car has warmed up (driving or not). This strikes me as being a lubrication problem. Also, on occasion when it's really cold, for my first shift into 2nd, I HAVE to double clutch it, which works fine, and then subsequent shifts are sluggish until it's warmed up, but fine otherwise. This also strikes me as being a lubrication issue, not a frozen cable issue, because I can put it directly into 1st or 2nd from a dead stop without too much difficulty.

For the record, I just had my tranny replaced about a month ago for a different reason, a 'squish' noise when I pushed in the clutch...no explanation of what the problem was, just that I needed a new (reman) tranny, and that the problem is a design issue which has now been dealt with in the new transmission.

Thoughts, comments?
Steve

Old 01-17-2004, 08:17 AM
trailblazer
2nd Gear
Yes, the fix did the trick. The next day is was 20 degrees, and I could shift perfectly. Before, I would be unable to shift in 30 degree weather...

I think you might have a different problem. I heard no noises coming from the transmission, and I had great difficulty shifting at a dead stop. The only way I could get around this was by sitting in my car for 10 minutes. Or if I knew I would be in 1st for a while, I could just drive off and stay in that gear...

Anyway, good luck getting your car fixed! And stay warm.

Old 01-17-2004, 01:45 PM
BuckeyeMCS
5th Gear
OK, now I have a concern. MAG ordered me the cables and should be in next week. My concern is that when I picked it up it was aprox 15 degrees outside and the guy that went out to the lot to get my car for me forced it into gear. When he brought it to me he said it was stuck and he had to force it into gear
When I tried to pull away I could not get it into gear for another 7 min. My question: Could he have damaged anything that won't be replaced with the new cables?

Old 01-24-2004, 01:54 AM
Ted
1st Gear
My '02 MCS was tough to shift when it was 10 degrees outside, but it felt to me that the gear oil thickened up in the tranny.The first couple of shifts took some patience, but gradually got better, and after about two or three miles it shifted fine. Hardly enough time for cables to heat up. Seems to be if you are having problems shifting as soon as the mercury drops below freezing then the cables might be freezing, but if everything is ok until you get into the teens I'd be thinking gear oil viscosity. Ever try pouring a 20w50 at 0 degrees? Comes out like gelatin. Not so a 10w40. Me thinks MINI put a gear oil in our trannies that's a bit too heavy for those really cold days.

Old 01-24-2004, 06:23 AM
Luthier
3rd Gear
I live in the central Kentucky and the temperature gets down to 10 - 20 degree F easily.
This winter is the first one with my MCS and I usually warm up my baby 1 or 2 minutes until temperature gauge starts to move.
And I usually put my gear in the neutral position when I park my Mini and expect it gets freezing cold.
So far I heve never had a problem...

Happy motoring !

Old 02-16-2004, 08:59 AM
bkcarrera
1st Gear

I live in Omaha and first found the answer to the frozen cable on this site. The nearest dealer is 200 miles away, so I will wait to go in for service.
What I find somewhat disturbing is the safety aspect of not being able to drive away.
I do not understand why all MINI owners have not been contacted about the possibility of this happening in cold climates.

>>I live in the central Kentucky and the temperature gets down to 10 - 20 degree F easily.
>>This winter is the first one with my MCS and I usually warm up my baby 1 or 2 minutes until temperature gauge starts to move.
>>And I usually put my gear in the neutral position when I park my Mini and expect it gets freezing cold.
>>So far I heve never had a problem...
>>
>>Happy motoring !
>>
>>

Old 02-16-2004, 12:28 PM
BuckeyeMCS
5th Gear
I am still waiting for the 2nd cable. One has come in and the other is on back order

Old 02-17-2004, 05:28 AM
joedude99
3rd Gear
I just got my car back from Main Line MINI, and they told me that they put in 2004 parts, which included a new shifter and cables. Apparently, the new design includes a rubber bellows, which keeps water droplets from falling along the cable. The previous design was more funnel-like, which encouraged water to drip along the cable. I hope this fix works.

Old 02-17-2004, 12:44 PM
ministrone
2nd Gear
Yep, it's definitley the cables. There's another thread that talks about it too. I had mine replaced in November, when it started getting nippy here (-15C)

Every dealer should know about it and replace them without hassle under warranty.

Old 02-17-2004, 12:58 PM
jsun
6th Gear
>>I just got my car back from Main Line MINI, and they told me that they put in 2004 parts, which included a new shifter and cables. Apparently, the new design includes a rubber bellows, which keeps water droplets from falling along the cable. The previous design was more funnel-like, which encouraged water to drip along the cable. I hope this fix works.

^ That's interesting about the "2004" parts. I guess I'll ask my dealer about this (they're usually pretty reasonable). I haven't had this particular problem, but then again I park in a semi-heated garage 95% of the time...which I think is what might have kept me non-frozen during the very cold weather we've had up here in MA. I have a July 2002 build MCS...so it's pretty likely that I have whatever "previous design" parts there are.

I'm sure that MINI's plan is just to replace/upgrade those who come in with the problem under warranty and to ignore the rest. Well...that's not going to fly next winter when I'm out of warranty and happen to freeze my old cable/shifter because my wife wants to move to a new house that doesn't have a garage... :evil: How much you want to bet that cable assembly costs over $100 bucks (double that installed) if not covered under warranty?

Old 02-18-2004, 08:14 AM
joedude99
3rd Gear
I got the receipt from the cable replacement, and their cost was not show. Usually, their internal costs are noted. I bet it was not a cheap thing to replace. About $400 is my guess.

Old 02-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Bisch
6th Gear
ATTENTION::::::::::::::::::::::::
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MINI has redesigned the shifter cables (end bushings) to prevent moisture from entering the cable sleeve. HOWEVER, the "new" cables have not arrived to the US yet. They are backordered until the end of this month. They have plenty of the "old" style cables in stock, but were instructed not to use them for replacements of the frozen cable issue, as they will probably freeze as well.
So, wait for the new ones! :smile: