Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

PCV valve vent/general oil question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 09:40 AM
Welker
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently noticed that the PCV valve vent hose towards the back left hand corner of the intercooler has become soaked with fluid. Another fellow MCS owner had this problem, and the dealer told him that it became so soaked with oil that it needed to be replaced. Turns out that the hose had become so soft that the pressure was causing it to pinch together while the car was running.
The scent of the fluid on the hose in my MCS smells very much like gasoline. I also noticed that when I did an oil change a couple of months ago, the old oil had a fairly strong gasoline smell as well. Is this a normal way for oil to smell? Or do I possibly have a leak somewhere causing gas to get into the oil line?

Any thoughts?

Old 11-20-2003, 09:58 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the PCV system of an engine becomes blocked, such as from a collapsed hose, the engine oil can often smell of raw gasoline and other nasties because these are not longer being purged from the crankcase and burned away. Replacing the hose (and changing the oil) will eliminate the smell. The PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system is there to rid the crankcase environment of unburned fuel, combustion byproducts and moisture that makes it's way past the piston rings and valve seals. It's an emissions control system as well as a means to prolong the life of the engine and extend maintenance intervals.
"Earl Grey" - '03 MCS, DS over DS, 17" R85s, NAV, DSC (often turned off!), Packs #1 and #3, Rally lights, etc, etc. Perf Mods by the boatload, on the way! Fulton, MD. FRS 7-21
Let's Get Small!