Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Tapping sound above 3000 rpm, mild to heavy acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 08:36 PM
TomkCooperS
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>Hi and thanks for sharing! I've been driving around more & it seems my ticking hasn't changed much at all (maybe slightly quieter, but not that much). Would you mind if I shared your info/situation with my SA? Any help (dealership, SA name, etc.) would be greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't mind at all - anything to help the Community! John Roberts BMW, Dallas Tx. Tim the SA. I'll post again on Sunday after I hear it / don't hear it myself.

Old 05-29-2004, 06:12 PM
bodinski
5th Gear
Thanks very much. Looking forward to your update.

Old 05-30-2004, 09:10 PM
TomkCooperS
Neutral
>>>>Hi and thanks for sharing! I've been driving around more & it seems my ticking hasn't changed much at all (maybe slightly quieter, but not that much). Would you mind if I shared your info/situation with my SA? Any help (dealership, SA name, etc.) would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>I wouldn't mind at all - anything to help the Community! John Roberts BMW, Dallas Tx. Tim the SA. I'll post again on Sunday after I hear it / don't hear it myself.

It's Sunday night and I'm SMILING again! I picked up MCS, started it, and immediately could hear that the noise was gone! Then I've rev'ed to ~3500 and nothing but smooth, quiet POWER!!! Apparantly, there was noise no matter what RPM, just most noticeable @ ~3500. It's amazing how much better it's drives now that I'm not being distracted. The repair record also noted they detected abnormal wear on the belt and idler pulley due to harmonic balancer pulley motion.

GREAT NEWS! However, now I'm concerned about a new hissing/swishing sound when I'm inside with the A/C on. I'm afraid it wasn't properly evacuated & recharged...

Old 05-31-2004, 03:23 AM
bodinski
5th Gear
Cool! Thanks for sharing this.

Old 05-31-2004, 04:36 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
And here I thought you were imagining things.......

Old 06-01-2004, 02:38 PM
bodinski
5th Gear
The Test
I stuffed a small rag into the center of the harmonic balancer (from underneath the car, of course) and taped it into place with aluminum duct tape. Took off down the road & found the volume of the ticking reduced by about half. Duct tape doesn't stick long in extreme heat, so I took it back off. I'd say I've likely found my culprit.

Anyone else want to try this? I'd like to hear your findings. Do be careful. You DON"T want a big wad of trash wrapped around your belt & pullies.
Bodinski

Old 06-02-2004, 01:47 PM
gmack
3rd Gear
I really wish my dealer was more like your guys. They did very little in attempts to resolve the noise other than at least 3 different people driving the car. At least as far as I know, since despite my voicemail to remind my SA that the SM removed the paperwork from car when it needed to be returned too the shop for something that wasn't fixed, I still haven't received it the mail or received a e-mail or telephone call.
What's making this thread tough to find hope in is that we have know guarantee that we are hearing the same "noise". A bad throughout bearing, a bad harmonic balancer and pre-ignition will all certainly make noises.
I heard the noise yesterday, just before stopping to fill up. Attempts later in the day failed to produce the noise. The idle has been a little rougher than I remember as well.
I haven't been using the A/C yet, but for some reason, the noise is not always there. Without the A/C to dampen the harmonic balancer, shouldn't that noise be present all the time, if in fact that's my issue as well ?

Last edited by gmack; 06-20-2004 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:22 PM
bodinski
5th Gear
Well, to confuse matters further, mine ticks pretty much equally (under load) with the air on or off. I have also noticed that my exhaust vibrates a good bit when a/c is on, and with that the sound of the exhaust (at least at idle) changes, too.
Screwy, ain't it?

Old 06-02-2004, 08:46 PM
lotsie
Banned
sorry is this an MC,,,or an MCS issue

Old 06-03-2004, 06:16 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
Ok,

Since the problem went away at the dealership, then returned later, then appeared to go away after adding octane booster, then returned before that tank was empty, and could be heard this morning, I am completely confused !!!
If it's strictly mechanical, I would think it would be constant.
Here is what I do know:
The noise is not related to the vehicle being warmed up. It happens imediately after starting out, or after driving for awhile.
The noise is not related to DSC, it can be heard when it is on or off.
The dealer had no imediate idea what was causing it. The noise went away, so that left them with little hope of finding the cause. At the same time I started to *****, they decided to punt and return the car.
The noise first appeared when normal temps returned after winter.
I thinks it time to let some local Miniacs here this noise too, before scheduling another trip too the dealer.
I have a MCS, whether this noise is strickly a MCS issue, I can't say.
The dealer changed my oil while he had the car as well. It could infact be related to hydraulic lifters not be fully pupmed up ? But I admit, I am completely clueless at this point as too if the MINI even used hydraulic lifters or something else.

Last edited by gmack; 06-20-2004 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:15 PM
TheBlackBrian
4th Gear
I had a problem like this right out of the dealership and took it in and they said the heat sheld in the back had come loose. They tacked it on and that was that. I geuss thats not your problem since you put a rag in the harmonic thingy magingy(tech term ) and it reduced the noise. But for those of you who that doesnt apply to, this might help.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:14 AM
mikeoconnor1
2nd Gear
Thanks to all of you who persevered the dealership service departments and got the problem solved. My MCS is going in monday for the same noise under load at 3k rpm. I will tell them about your findings, heat shield, hrmonic balancer, to help them in their repair. I have found my service advisor to be open to ideas.

Old 06-04-2004, 12:51 PM
gmack
3rd Gear
>> I had a problem like this right out of the dealership and took it in and they said the heat sheld in the back had come loose. They tacked it on and that was that. I geuss thats not your problem since you put a rag in the harmonic thingy magingy(tech term :evil:

I am hoping that they were right the first time,
and the heat shield has simply come loose and returned to it's original position.
You say it's towards the back ? Can you see, or do you know how they secured it ??

Last edited by gmack; 06-20-2004 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:27 PM
TheBlackBrian
4th Gear
Yes the noise was comming from the back. The heat sheild came loose and was vibrating against the exaust. Im not certain but I think the service lady said they tacked it with a welder to put it back. Just tell them that you think its the heat sheild. Hopefully the service people know what a heat sheid is

Old 06-07-2004, 10:23 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by forevercornered
Yes the noise was comming from the back. The heat sheild came loose and was vibrating against the exaust. Im not certain but I think the service lady said they tacked it with a welder to put it back. Just tell them that you think its the heat sheild. Hopefully the service people know what a heat sheid is
Thanks,

I am trying to avoid burdening my dealership with another visit.

Old 06-09-2004, 07:17 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
Well it's time to get a second opinion. Agokart is going to take a look at my car this evening. The noise is becoming more frequent and easier to duplicate. From what I can tell from the drivers seat, my noise is up front, on the passenger side, only occurs while accellerating past 3,000 rpm, is not related to traction control, occurs in at least 1st,2nd and 3rd gear, happens with the engine warm or not and is still audible with the A/C running.

I am still hoping for something easily resolved, wish me luck.

Old 06-09-2004, 05:14 PM
bodinski
5th Gear
Your symptoms sound very much like mine, gmack. At times, mine'll actually do it sitting still. Have to rev it pretty hard to do that, though. I'm going in Wednesday to see about the balancer.
Luck - Bodinski.

Old 06-10-2004, 06:18 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
Bodinski,

Please let me know. We weren't able to get any closer to solving my issue. It would not appear to be a heat shield. Agokart was nice enough to crawl around under the car and didn't see any loose heat shields. He did help confirm what I had thought. That the noise is not coming from the valve train or a rod or some other engine internal. Good news !!
The noise also does not apear to be a cracked header. More Good news!!
His guess was that it is tranny related. Bad news !!!
He felt the noise was possibly similar to a noise his car makes at times.
He felt pretty sure whatever the noise was, that it shouldn't keep me from taking the car to Indy for the F1 race next week. Great News !!!
He seemed pretty sure it wasn't pinging, I have to agree it doesn't really sound like it.
I am repeating the octane booster test, just for giggles.

The behaviour is similar to pinging, in that it is only noticable when you put your foot in it.
This morning, I am wondering what a bypass valve that wasn't closed fully, would sound like ?
The noise definetly occurs after the car starts making boost, and is under load.
Looking forward to hearing what your dealer comes up with.
Probably going to get with Agokart and Ryephile again before taking mine back in to the dealer. Hopefully we can help out the techs a little by narrowing it down better.

Last edited by gmack; 06-20-2004 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
gmack-

[font='Times New Roman']After reading through all the posts here I would like to look at he car again to check a few things out. I have an idea of how to test your car to see if it can reproduce the noise. Lets try to set up a time when Ryephile and me can both be there and it is a dryer day to do some of the testing I have in mind. You have my number, give me a call.[/font]

Old 06-15-2004, 09:07 AM
bodinski
5th Gear
gmack- come up with anything new? Going to the dealer in the am & any additional info may be useful..

Old 06-15-2004, 10:19 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
No unfourtunately not. Agokart and Ryephile are going to take another look after this weekend.
I am going to try and isolate it a little more today or tommorow. I am confident it is not related to octane levels of the fuel, or loose spark plugs.
What's still kinda of puzzling is why it only happens under load. That's probably a good indication of something, to someone, just not me.
I revved the engine repeatedly between 2,500 and 3,800 while Agokart listened under the hood, and we couldn't hear a thing. Which I liked.
I am still kinda concerned though. I don't feel right redlining the car as long as the source of the noise is a unknown. So it's taking alot of the fun out of motoring. I may be sending the car to Classic in Ohio after Ryephile and Agocart have another look.

I look forward to a hopefully successful resolution by your dealer.

Last edited by gmack; 06-15-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:36 AM
bodinski
5th Gear
I'm curious to hear if you tried my (and I use the term loosely) "test". I couldn't test for long because the tape kept coming off. It did seem to make a difference, though. I found my balancer rusty and the paint coming off. Is yours the same?

Old 06-15-2004, 12:31 PM
gmack
3rd Gear
No I didn't. I know someone who had a harmonic balancer go bad. I just tried to reach him because I think he mentioned it only made noise while "getting on it". My dealer never mentioned if they looked at it, in fact I still have not been given any record of what they did or didn't look at.
Somehow I don't think they gave my name to BMW for a call to ask me how satisfied I was with my service, either.

Someone else didn't seem to think that was the problem, although I am not sure why they were so convinced.

I have a 6 hour trip to Indy plus a 6 hour trip back planned this weekend. I will have to try too look at that. Tonight's going to be tough since the Pistons will be finishing off L.A. tonight.

As much as I hate to leave the Mini, 12 hours on the freeway may not be much good for it if the balancer has failed. Damn it Jim !!

Last edited by gmack; 06-20-2004 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Slant
1st Gear

Last edited by Slant; 09-15-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Slant
1st Gear

Last edited by Slant; 09-15-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Tapping sound above 3000 rpm, mild to heavy acceleration