Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cold Start Issues Database

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Jay37
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold start issues database

Model: MCS Hatchback
Build Date: May 2009
Miles: 2,200
Duration: 30-60 seconds
Frequency: 3 times over past month
RPM range: 1000-2000 (never went beyond with noise present)
Ambient Temp: 70-90 F
Oil: Castrol syntec (Euro formula)

Any other relevant information: Shut off engine in each instance after 30 seconds, upon restart noise went away. Does anybody have any experience with Niello MINI recognizing this problem? Noise is difficult to reproduce.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Red Hot Pepper
Neutral
Model: Cooper S
Build Date :April 2009
Miles: 6500
Duration: as short as I can before I stop the engine!

Likewise as soon as I hear the rattle I turn off the engine and wait ~30 secs. Re-start and the problem is solved.

Was at the dealers (Mainline Mini) this morning for a replacement battery (collapsed cell) and asked about the rattle - I was told that my Cooper had the required new part to stop the rattle. Hmmm.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:06 AM
PERNOR56
2nd Gear
I had the fix done in FEB. Guess what!! The rattle is back again and getting worse every day. What joke! What happens when this is out of warranty and we have to take our Mini's in 2 times a year to have this fixed?

Old 10-12-2009, 02:22 PM
bssiesmth
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: MCS Hatchback
Build Date: May 2009
Miles: 1,300
Duration: 60-120 seconds
Frequency: 3 times a week or more
RPM range: 1,000 - 2,800 RPMs or so.
Ambient temp: around 70°F
Oil: stock

Relevant information: I park my car in a slope, nose down. But I've had the problem even while parked in a level surface. My car is branded as a 2010. Dealer says "He has never heard about that problem before".

Old 10-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Panozster
Neutral
I just ordered a 2010 Clubman S on Saturday... I waited for the 2010 model year thinking that MINI would have the cold start issue solved at the factory... Anyone know of a car with this issue built after May 2009?

Old 10-13-2009, 07:07 AM
bssiesmth
3rd Gear
Since my car is a 2010 (confirmed by the VIN number, invoice, etc.) I 'd say 2010's have the same issue.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:54 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
bssiesmth,

Please go to your account section and add your location to your posts. It is significant that you are in Mexico and not the U.S. The 2010 models in Mexico came out long before the U.S. 2010 models and we have no way of knowing what differences MINI may incorporate in the two countries.

I've read enough of your posts to know that you are in Mexico, but there are apparently many readers who don't realize this. Thanks!

Old 10-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
By the way, once my car hit about 22,000 miles or so, it will have this issue regardless of short or long runs. And there's no rhyme or reason, some mornings it will do it, some it won't. Never lasts more than a few seconds when it does. So I'm guessing if you have a relatively early build of the R56, if you haven't heard the sound, you will eventually.

'07 MCSa 24,000+ miles.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:54 AM
Sichc
Neutral
brand new mini, LOUD KNOCKING NOISES!!!

Model: 2009 Mini Cooper S
Build Date: nov 3 2008 (i think)
Miles: 300 Miles
Duration: ALL THE TIME cold or warm
Frequency: Anytime between idle and 2000rpm
RPM range: idle to 2000rpm
Ambient Temp: 0-10 c
Oil: just switched to Mobil 1 5w30 to see if problem goes away

Any other relevant information:
talked to the sales guy and he said it was common for bmws and merc-benz to makes that noise cause of the way the valve lifters are made and operate. (i think he was just BSing, cause i've heard a few bmws and benz and NONE of them sounds like my mini.)

Not sure if I even have the same 'death rattle' as everyone else but the engine noise is so loud and rough, I can hear it in the cabin.....or is it common because i'm still in the break in period. HELP!!!! I want my mini to live!!!!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:14 PM
oldMGguy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sichc
Build Date: nov 3 2008 (i think)
Miles: 300 Miles
Duration: ALL THE TIME cold or warm
Frequency: Anytime between idle and 2000rpm
Ambient Temp: 0-10 c
Oil: just switched to Mobil 1 5w30 to see if problem goes away

Any other relevant information:
talked to the sales guy and he said it was common for bmws and merc-benz to makes that noise cause of the way the valve lifters are made and operate. (i think he was just BSing, cause i've heard a few bmws and benz and NONE of them sounds like my mini.)

Not sure if I even have the same 'death rattle' as everyone else but the engine noise is so loud and rough, I can hear it in the cabin.....or is it common because i'm still in the break in period. HELP!!!! I want my mini to live!!!!
You say the noise NEVER stops? Does it sound like a bicycle chain being dragged over a metal pipe? The defective tensioner noise will go away after 1-2 minutes of run time, and will not re-appear on subsequent restarts if the engine has sat for less than 3-4 hours. Letting the engine sit overnight or long shutdowns in a nose-down attitude will tend to trigger the tensioner fault.

The "Prince" engine is one very mechanically noisy engine, even when everything is working OK. The noisiest part is the vacuum pump, which is always "chuffing" away and can be heard from the cabin. The direct injection system fuel injectors are noisier than what we're used to, and can be heard "ticking' away with the bonnet open. The turbo system has it's own noises, but are more whirring-types noises. "Clanking" or loud diesel engine sounds on first start of the day are the failed tensioner noises. Jump into some new MINIs on the dealer lot and fire them up and compare with yours.

The latest fix is SIM-11-02-07. If your SA gives you the deer in the headlights look, have him/her type that number into their computer. A new revised tensioner went into the engine factory parts stream spring '09, but it seems the problem is apparently still with us.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:25 AM
turbo tel
1st Gear
I agree.. the engine is just plain noisier than we are used to, especially the direct injectors.. My Subaru is also a bit noisy. As the man says, compare it to others on the lot. I think you will find its 'normal' The big rattle only comes at start up and it does go away.

Anyway update on my issue. I had the tensioner replaced in the spring and must say that I have not heard the start up rattle since then.

HOWEVER.. I must say that there is an annoying resonance around 3,500-4000 rpm when I am driving and I never heard that before this latest tensioner (my third) and it sounds distinctly like the timing chain. As far as I can ascertain the one I have is not the latest version so I want it done again.

I am not looking forward to going to the dealer with this, They will I'm sure treat me like I am a total Idiot and try to fob me off. But I am coming up to 3 years now the warranty is up soon and I am just sick of this.. One thing I want to make plain to them is that even though the warranty is up I do not consider this matter closed..

Old 10-26-2009, 12:52 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
I thought we have 3-year free maintenance and 4-year warranty...?

Old 10-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Sichc
Neutral
IC. I just got it less than a week ago and I have never heard that kind of noise coming from ANY engine, except from an engine with problems (or an old diesel engine). Its actually kind of annoying when im idling at a red light, and kind of embarrassing driving around town cause the engine sounds like its broken, I wouldn't mind it so much if the ticking was just a little quieter.

The sale guys I talked to actually started up a clubman S for comparison and that even though the noise is there, it wasnt as loud. I only heard it when the hood was up.

It's weird cause when the revs are above 2000rpm, the engine sounds awesome, but once i release the pedal and revs start dropping the noise comes back exactly at 2000rpm.

Anyone have a video of a WORKING engine idling and revving noise? Just for reference.

Hopefully it get quieter after alittle more break-in time.

Thanks for the input.

BTW I have a Horizon Blue MCS

Old 10-27-2009, 06:28 AM
loud9266
2nd Gear
your bummin
all the horizon blue cars do this

Old 11-02-2009, 07:33 AM
turbo tel
1st Gear
Originally Posted by corcoranwtnet
I thought we have 3-year free maintenance and 4-year warranty...?
Good point, looks like I got mixed up there.. Thats good news to me, maybe I can get the next three versions of that damn tensioner in before It goes off warranty!!

Last edited by turbo tel; 11-02-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:24 PM
oldcracker
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a early build 07 MCS and had the cold start problem since new

so I got the cold start repair done a couple months ago and I start to hear this high pitch 'whine' noise at around 2200rpm in any gear, only hear it when i'm at that rpm and I give a little gas, it's gone if I let off the gas or gas a little harder, only slightly on the gas at around 2200rpm the whine comes on

does anyone else have this problem?

Old 11-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Nativeson
1st Gear
Model: R56 MCS manual
Built :08
Miles: 20,000
Duration: About a minute
RPM'S: 1,000(give or take) and up
Temp: low 50's
Oil: OEM

Happened once, then nothing for several months. Since the weather has turned cool, it's happening frequently. Going to dealer on Sunday for cold start test on Monday.

Attached Thumbnails Cold Start Issues Database-img_3546.jpg  
Old 11-23-2009, 03:44 AM
Crumbolst
Neutral
I miss the car but I traded my '08 MCS in this past weekend for a... uh, not a Mini. I loved driving it when it wasn't giving me trouble but that was not often enough. I've been through all three generations of "fixes" for the cold start rattle and can fairly say that none of them fixed the problem. I have little doubt that the rattle is doing long term damage (where in the known universe does metal on metal clacking like that NOT do long term damage?) and I have lost confidence in the car.

Sucks because it is so much fun to drive, but no one should put up with the number of problems the car has.

I hope you all enjoy yours and have better luck or tolerance with it. Such a great car, except for the big problems.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:56 AM
Panozster
Neutral
Picked up Prospero last Tuesday -- 2010 Mini Clubmen S six-speed. Runs like a champ -- so far. It was built on October 20th, 2009. We will see.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:11 AM
mover1_us
Neutral
Originally Posted by oldcracker

so I got the cold start repair done a couple months ago and I start to hear this high pitch 'whine' noise at around 2200rpm in any gear, only hear it when i'm at that rpm and I give a little gas, it's gone if I let off the gas or gas a little harder, only slightly on the gas at around 2200rpm the whine comes on

I have it also just after timing chain replacement.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:50 PM
oldcracker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mover1_us
I have it also just after timing chain replacement.
awesome, what did the dealer say about it?

Old 12-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Crumbolst
I miss the car but I traded my '08 MCS in this past weekend for a... uh, not a Mini. I loved driving it when it wasn't giving me trouble but that was not often enough. I've been through all three generations of "fixes" for the cold start rattle and can fairly say that none of them fixed the problem. I have little doubt that the rattle is doing long term damage (where in the known universe does metal on metal clacking like that NOT do long term damage?) and I have lost confidence in the car.

Sucks because it is so much fun to drive, but no one should put up with the number of problems the car has.

I hope you all enjoy yours and have better luck or tolerance with it. Such a great car, except for the big problems.
I suspect there will be ALOT of this going on.

What I don't understand is, if these "new tensioners" or the "xx-xx-07" bulletin isn't fixing the issue, why is mini continueing to do/replace them? I would image this is costing them a fortune(parts + labor), and it's not fixing anything. Are they studying the problem and trying to solve it? If so, why don't they just release a statement like "We know there is an issue, we are working on fixing it, and will update you soon..." type thing??

Old 12-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Birdman
I suspect there will be ALOT of this going on.

What I don't understand is, if these "new tensioners" or the "xx-xx-07" bulletin isn't fixing the issue, why is mini continueing to do/replace them? I would image this is costing them a fortune(parts + labor), and it's not fixing anything. Are they studying the problem and trying to solve it? If so, why don't they just release a statement like "We know there is an issue, we are working on fixing it, and will update you soon..." type thing??
I suspect that the issue is complex. The supposed fix actually worked for my 2007 MCS. Due to lots of testing while installing an audio amp, I've put the car into situations that should cause the rattle, but I've had no recurrence since the fix. So, the recurrence of the problem may only be with a % of the cases.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:10 AM
grodenglaive
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by oldcracker

Hey oldcracker, I've had that whine too for the last few weeks. It seems to me to be the transmission. Mine's going in next week to see what's up.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:16 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Build Date: March 2009
Miles: 20k kilometers
Duration: less than a minute
Frequency: 4 or 5 times since temps dipped down
Ambient Temp: 10-15 *C
Oil: Switched to Mobil 0-W30 and it may be doing it more often

This is the first time my Mini has been in colder temps. So that may explain the higher mileage for my first encounter with the problem. I changed my oil to 0-W30 a couple days ago but i haven't determined if the problem is more rampant or not. We'll monitor it and may change back to the castrol i had in it earlier.

Quick Reply: Cold Start Issues Database