Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cold Start Issues Database

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:19 PM
svjj
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well my dealer called me and said they can't find anything wrong with the car. I talked to the tech that Saturday when my car made the noise. He knew what I was talking about and said they have a repair kit for the timing chain to bring it in. Now the service advisor is telling me everything is normal with the car and they will not do a repair untill they hear the noise. I said it has only happened once but it was alarmingly loud. Why must the deal play the game the customer must prove there is a problem before any repairs are made. Its a known problem.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:42 PM
bobsyouruncle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rixter
Do you happen to have the links that you compiled, I'd like to try Mini Canada. Or is it just the link to this discussion thread?
I had sent them the three below, but now you could probably find a lot more, including on mini2 where there are reports of catastrophic engine failures....

http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/07/...al-fix-coming/
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hlight=chatter
http://www.r56mcs.com/

Old 03-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed on MINI2 that somebody had posted a video complete with sound of their startup experience. There might even be a link at the start of this thread. Perhaps if you did the same, a couple of times, the dealer would be willing to do something then.

PS Nice bike

Old 03-02-2009, 03:01 PM
svjj
2nd Gear
PS Nice bike
Thanks

I will try but my car has only made the noise one time so far. Maybe I will be lucky and that will be the last but I bet not.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Members over at MINI2 are reporting good results on version 3 of the chain tensioner. Its also going into engines in the factory starting Mar. 2009 (I don't have a specific date in March though).

Details:
PUMA measure number is 10686850-12. (released on 24/02/09)
The part number for the new tensioner is 11.31.7.598.956.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:41 AM
sziehr
2nd Gear
I hope soon we will have this settled with a TSB that we can all print and carry to the dealer and be like look fix this issue. We know it is real here is the TSB ok fix it even if i do not hear the noise it has the potional to happen so fix it.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:10 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Perihelion, that's a good bit of news! I have avoided doing anything about the cold start rattle up to now since I didn't want them pulling apart my engine if they didn't have a working solution. (and because I have learned to avoid the problem by not having any short runs with the engine) Do you have any idea how we could get a copy of the PUMA to read (and take to the dealer)?

Rich

Old 03-13-2009, 04:49 PM
LeeW
1st Gear
R56 cold start noise

Cooper S 6 speed
Build date: Sept. '08
Miles: 7200
Duration: 1 to 3 minutes
Frequency: about 4 times
RPM: idle to 2500
Ambient temp: between 50 and 70 F
Oil: factory fill and MINI 5W-30

First occured with less than 500 miles on car. All instances have occured after car sits overnight in level garage. Ambient temp doesn't seem to matter. Turning the car off for a couple of minutes doesn't eliminate the noise. Sounds like valvetrain clatter or diesel. Certainly not normal.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:45 AM
imcraymond
1st Gear
Cooper S Auto
Build date: Nov. '08 (born 11/06)
Miles: 3100
Frequency: 4 times
RPM: idle to less than 2000
Ambient temp: below freezing
Oil: original factory oil

I let the engine idle for about a minute or so, then restart it. This has cleared up the issue for all but one instance (which required two restarts). Occurs on a flat surface, so uphill or downhill does not seem to apply here.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:45 PM
MiniBertile
2nd Gear
Clubman S Auto
Build date: July '08
Miles: 1st @ 10600
Duration: approx 1 minute
Frequency: 3 times
RPM: Idle up to ?
Ambient temp: 1st: +54 F, 2nd: +56 F, 3rd: ?
Oil: Factory Fill

All known occurances were when Felix was sitting on a level surface. Oil level full each time. Each time sounded as if no oil was present in the top end of the engine.

Took engine oil sample after 1st noted and came back with recommendation to change oil, before next scheduled service, to remove contaminants.

"TRACE/LOW LEVELS OF WATER (0.1%) MAY BE CONDENSATION. ALUMINUM AND SILICON ARE HIGHER THAN EXPECTED FOR BREAK-IN WEAR INDICATING A DIRT ENTRY MAY BE PRESENT. COPPER AND IRON ARE HIGH AS WELL. SUGGEST INSPECTING SEALS AND DRAIN/FILL PLUGS FOR DIRT ENTRY. CONSIDER CHANGING THE OIL BEFORE THE NEXT SCHEDULED OIL CHANGE TO RID THE SYSTEM OF CONTAMINANTS/DEBRIS. INSPECT FOR DIRT ENTRY AND RESAMPLE IN 3,000 MILES TO MONITOR."

Taking sample printout to dealer to see if they'll change the oil under the maintance plan early. (Computer claims another 8k miles or July '09)

Old 03-15-2009, 01:58 PM
svtzx2
2nd Gear
This may sound odd, but I just went in to have the OEM Alarm installed. The dealer ran a 6 hour software update (Covered by warranty), and since then, I haven't heard the dreaded cold start diesel sounds. It's also been snowing the last couple of days, so the conditions would be right to cause it. Maybe the software solved things...

Factory Cooper JCW
Build date: June 2008
RPM: idle to less than 2000
Ambient temp: Below Freezing
Oil: Factory Oil

Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 PM
phlash
4th Gear
Six hours???? That's horrible........for a ECU update??? Unless it kept failing on them.......geez, that would suck.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:23 PM
steve216
2nd Gear
Model: Cooper S 6 speed manual
Build Date: 7/1/08
Miles:6700
Duration:10 sec to a few minutes
Frequency: Every cold day
RPM range: idle
Ambient Temp: 30-50 F
Oil: Factory oil

This is me but I notice I don't always get a cold start if I park the car somewhere flat, I usually park on my driveway which has a down slope, my car facing down it.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:45 AM
perryrg11
Neutral
Cooper Clubman S, Automatic
Build Date: October 2008
Miles: 3500
Duration: 1 minute
Frequency: has happend twice
RPM range: 1500-2000rpm
Ambient Temp: low 30's
Oil: Factory Fill, Castrol 5w-30, oil level full

The weather was cold and quite damp (Chicago in January!). The first time I had to stop/restart the car twice before it stopped, the second time, only once. I took it to the deal who inspected it and the logs, could see that the throttle faulted, but said it is a known issue with condensation in the throttle for which Mini has not yet dealt with, created a solution or a recall.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:05 PM
kopov
3rd Gear
2007 MCS with 21K miles. Always from day one the car had this engine noise at start up which would go away after I'm guessing 10 minutes of driving.
Finally car is at the dealer for this and other issues and now I am driving the loaner 2009 MCS Clubman with 2,500 miles. I can definitely say that the 2009 Clubman doesn't have the engine noise at start up. It's quiet and works the way it's suppose to.
I hope they install the same new parts in my engine.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:04 PM
xtemperedx
Neutral
Model: R56 Cooper S
Build Date: Dec. 1 2008
Miles: 4060
Duration: First time ever today
Frequency: (times per month/week)
RPM range: All
Ambient Temp: 45
Oil: Factory Castrol Syntec

Old 03-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Interesting correlation

I had 'the rattle' today again. Interesting correlation, it came after I just washed Spike. Thinking back it's alway after I've washed the car . I'm not shooting water into the engine. The only thing I do however, is I will lift the bonnet (aka hood) let the water run off a bit, then wipe where it drips on the engine. Sometimes I don't even lift the bonnet. Hmmmm

Is that's what's causing my rattling?

Old 03-23-2009, 10:39 AM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
I had 'the rattle' today again. Interesting correlation, it came after I just washed Spike. Thinking back it's alway after I've washed the car . I'm not shooting water into the engine. The only thing I do however, is I will lift the bonnet (aka hood) let the water run off a bit, then wipe where it drips on the engine. Sometimes I don't even lift the bonnet. Hmmmm

Mine, too, is almost always after washing. I do not wash the engine either.

What I DO think washing has in common is either:

- I move the car a VERY SHORT distance, wash it and then back.. next crank, "the rattle"
- the car is sometimes parked on an incline (though not always)

Anything similar for you?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wearlaz
Mine, too, is almost always after washing. I do not wash the engine either.

What I DO think washing has in common is either:

- I move the car a VERY SHORT distance, wash it and then back.. next crank, "the rattle"
- the car is sometimes parked on an incline (though not always)

Anything similar for you?
Spike's parked on a flat in my garage. I do start/stop him to get to the driveway for the wash then back. My old 318is used to have problems after starting/stopping/washing, but then it was 18 years old.

An interesting test would be to simply move the car the same distance, do the start/stop thing (without a wash), wait 1/2 an hour, move back into the garage and see if that triggers the rattle the next time.

I also happen to spray inside the wheelwells and maybe a bit underneath the car to get the road gunk off, but not directly under the engine compartment.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:12 PM
torobud
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Perihelion
Details:
PUMA measure number is 10686850-12. (released on 24/02/09)
The part number for the new tensioner is 11.31.7.598.956.
My MINI is going in on 03/31 for the above parts - also I should add my info:

Model: R56 Cooper S
Build Date: 10/1/2007
Miles: 13000
Duration: 2-5 minutes
Frequency: Winter is 5 out of 7 days per week while summer is only 2 out of 7
RPM range: All but particularly bad in the 1500-2500 range
Ambient Temp: -25F - 60F (yes I really has occurred in that big of a range)
Oil: Factory - Changed at dealer at 1 year mark

Old 03-23-2009, 02:05 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear

Yes, I have the exact same thing. I've had the engine rattle now probably 6 times, and 5 out of 6 times was after a car wash. I don't think it is related to the wash - it is more related to moving the car such a short distance and not letting the car warm up. I'm going to take the approach this weekend to rev the engine to 3000 RPMs and hit the off button per another posters suggestion that it works for him (on the other cold start rattle thread here).

Old 03-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Originally Posted by taskmaxter
I'm going to rev the engine to 3000 RPMs and hit the off button per another posters suggestion that it works for him (on the other cold start rattle thread here).
Is this test a fix or just a way of temporarily addressing the problem? How long do you rev it @ 3000 RPMs?

Old 03-23-2009, 03:45 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Is this test a fix or just a way of temporarily addressing the problem? How long do you rev it @ 3000 RPMs?
You can find the post on this link:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hatter-38.html

Post #945.

The author of the post (Sequence) makes it sound as if you just rev upto 3000 rpms and once there hit the off button. So far, he has never had the issue happen again. Might be a good work around until the final fix is available.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Originally Posted by taskmaxter
You can find the post on this link:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hatter-38.html

Post #945.

The author of the post (Sequence) makes it sound as if you just rev upto 3000 rpms and once there hit the off button. So far, he has never had the issue happen again. Might be a good work around until the final fix is available.
I'll have to give that a whirl next time I bath Spike

Old 03-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Problem duplicated

Ok, so I did a test:
  • Started the car and moved it 10 feet (from garage to driveway)
  • Left car in driveway for 45 minutes (simulating length of time to wash Spike). No wash actually occured and Spike was not injured during the exercise
  • Started up the car and drove it 10 feet (back into garage)
  • Started Spike the next day and he was rattling for the first mile from my place
This proves out the theory that water is not a contributing factor. The next test I want to do is the rev the engine to 3000 for a few seconds before shutting off. I do not feel comfortable simply shutting off the engine right at 3000 rpm however (as suggested in another thread). I'll rev Spike, then when the RPMs drop back down, I'll shut off the motor.

Quick Reply: Cold Start Issues Database