Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Problems /or just a ghost

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 06:07 PM
akajoker
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The MCS just inherited a ghost. The automatic window mechanism that opens the driver side window slightly upon entry and exit has developed a mind of its own.

I walked outside today and it was continuously operating on its own. It did this off and on for at least an hour. I just walked out again and the interior light had come on along with the NAV screen as if the door was open put it was shut tight. It is still turning itself off and on as I write. I disconnected the battery under the hood and the interior lights and NAV screen stayed on even though the door was closed and lights were off.

Anyone have this happen or have any suggestions?? I have an appointment on the 20th but will try to walk into the dealer tomorrow. I thought Halloween was over.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:43 PM
JakeBRG
2nd Gear
That sucks. I have noticed that I'm developing a little squeak–from possible resistance maybe?–when the driver door sometimes goes up. I think I'll point it out to the tech when I go in.

Old 11-06-2003, 10:54 AM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
I’ve sent you an email offering our help. If you prefer, you can call us at 866-ASK MINI and please mention Reference # 1-116738859 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Old 11-06-2003, 10:57 AM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
I’ve sent you an email offering our help. If you prefer, you can call us at 866-ASK MINI and please mention Reference # 1-116738859 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Old 11-06-2003, 11:04 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
>>I’ve sent you an email offering our help. If you prefer, you can call us at 866-ASK MINI and please mention Reference # 1-116738859 so that we can help you more efficiently.

The MINI ghost is watching What about an excersisum. Linda Blair you out there??

Old 11-06-2003, 11:07 AM
countrym
6th Gear
At least it's not vomiting pea soup out of the hood scoop!

Sorry about your issues, joker. Sounds like you might be up for a new wiring harness.

Old 11-06-2003, 11:21 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
akajoker,

I had that happen on my MCS some time ago:

the passenger window would do the sewing machine dip with door closed.
Also, I have the alarm, which would go off spontaneously. I figured it was either a faulty door opening/closing sensor, or as some have suggested, water in the BC1 computer. Water in the BC1 was apparently an issue in early cars and has been fixed since.

I took my car to the dealer. They looked at it, took it apart, could not replicate problem, put it back together. the problem has not reappeared since. It had first happened after a car wash. The dealer actually said that MINI recomends not to take your MINI through an automated wash, hahaha, even though the other MINI dealer I visit does use an automatic wash, go figure. My guess is that in dis- and reassembling, the dealer fixed th eleak of water into the BC1.

You can temporarily stop the sewing machine motion by just opening the window a crack. Of course, you can't do this outside if it might rain. Also, until the problem is fixed, dont park the car outside or you might get water in the car!

If you have the alarm you might have the additional problem of locking the car without activating the alarm. This you can do as such:
Close driver side door. Open passenger door, reach in, depress the dashboard lock rocker switch, close passenger door. Voila, done (don't lock yourself out).

Finally, in the MCS, to completely disconnect the battery, you have to disconnect it in the trunk (where the battery is located).

Cheers,
M.

Old 11-06-2003, 11:36 AM
akajoker
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info MG-BGT. I washed the car 2 days prior to the problem occuring. The real problem was getting the car into the dealer. The closest dealer is 30 miles away. They could not see it until the 20th, Brecht BMW. I bought it from Irvine BMW and had to drive 75 miles to drop it off for service there, but they were real cooperative and even got me a rental car.

Ya that battery thing kinda blew me away, guess I better get more familiar with it. At first I thought the MINI Division thing was a scam from someone reading the post, but it really seems that it is on the level. The MCS has been at the dealer for two days now and still no word if they have gotten rid of Casper.

Old 11-07-2003, 12:20 PM
akajoker
2nd Gear
Well I don't have the MCS back but they did finally diagnose the problem. They said the NAV computer was pretty whacked and had to be replaced. It won't be ready till Monday but that should be it.

Old 11-13-2003, 08:32 PM
akajoker
2nd Gear
Earlier in this post I wrote that Irvine BMW was to have my MCS ready Monday. I went to pick it Tuesday to be sure and get told that the mechanic did not finish the job. He locked up all the parts and had called in sick for the day. Next they say that it will be ready first thing on Wednesday. It is a 150 mile roundtrip to the dealer so I was pretty mad. I stay with the in-laws since its closer and decide to pick it up the next morning. I get there on Wednesday and they realize that they ordered the wrong part. Still not done!!!! :evil: :evil:

I have already told them, very calmly in fact, that I expect compensation for all my wasted time and their empty promises. It took them 3 days just to diagnose the problem, with 4 different "It will be ready ------" promises.

Sorry its long but I needed to vent.