Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Clicking Noise from Steering Wheel Column

Old 10-22-2003, 02:40 PM
jkrstic
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone experienced a clicking sound when you turn the steering wheel? My steering wheel clicks from time to time when I make a turn. I have a April build 03 MCS. The clicking started about a month ago and the clicking seems to be progressing. Any idea?

I will have the service department check it out when I have it serviced for the software upgrade for the stumble problem in 1st gear (whenever that will be)

GiGi

Old 10-22-2003, 07:50 PM
SYDMINI
Neutral
hey i have the exact same problem with my 02MC. let me know how u go when its checked out!!

Old 10-23-2003, 05:50 AM
GJR
2nd Gear
Do a search on this...I remember someone posting in the past few months that they had this problem and it required a whole new steering column.

Old 10-23-2003, 06:01 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am interested in this topic. My service dept. ordered me a new steering column and I didn't know I had a problem! No clicking with the steering that I've noticed. When I asked why they were preparing to install the steering column they said a "bushing" was broke. And they discovered this when they were fixing a dash rattle I had them check out. I go to the dealer tomorrow for regular maintenance but I'm not letting them take apart my car (and keep it for a few days) until I talk to them more.

God speed.

Old 10-23-2003, 07:50 AM
jkrstic
1st Gear
I am going to call the service department to see if anyone else had their car serviced for this same problem.

Will keep you posted.

GiGi

Old 10-23-2003, 09:25 AM
Pablo
1st Gear
Mine was a combination of a clicking and rubbing/grinding sound. They first replaced the steering shaft assembly and later the steering rack. All under warranty

Old 10-27-2003, 04:01 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Had same problem. It clicked under load. In other words, it clicked when turning at slow speeds - when the power steering had to do more work. They replaced the steering rack assembly under warranty. Majority of problem went away but it still clicks every now and then. It doesn't seem to be getting progressively worse, however, so i am not worried about it.

Old 10-27-2003, 04:35 PM
OKeefe
4th Gear
Had this from day one. Sounded like an overly agressevive stop to the turn signal canx. After 10 months asked service to check it at my first scheduled service. "clicking in the wheel" was what I told 'em. Result was a swap out of the steering column. No clicks since....

Old 10-28-2003, 08:54 AM
C4
Banned
We had this problem in our '02 Cooper CVT. Basically the rotary coupler assembly inside the upper steering column collapses causing the clicks when turning the wheel at low speeds. The rotary coupler is what routes and allows all your cables from the airbag, horn, cruise control and audio controls to remain in place and rotate when you turn the wheel. This problem (Aside from being annoying in parking garages) dies not represent and immediate threat to your safety; however, over time the cables for your airbag that are routed thru the rotary coupler might get crunch causing the airbag to fail to deploy in case of accident.

This problem is present in almost all 2002 and early 2003 model year build MINIs. MINI has since already issued a new revised upper steering column assembly with a new design for the rotary coupler/bearing that prevents collapsing of the part. Since the new upper steering column assembly is not backwards compatible with the old lower steering column assembly, your dealer must order and install new lower and upper steering column assemblies.

The new steering column is much, much better than the original one and provides excellent feedback and best of all no clicks

Old 03-18-2004, 05:13 PM
115hp
5th Gear
Has anyone here gotten a new steering column, but then noticed that the steering wheel is now off-center? My dealer said that an alignment would cost $150. The car tracks straight, but it bugs me that the wheel is slightly off.

Old 03-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Welker
1st Gear
>>Has anyone here gotten a new steering column, but then noticed that the steering wheel is now off-center? My dealer said that an alignment would cost $150. The car tracks straight, but it bugs me that the wheel is slightly off.

This happened to me as well after I had my steering column replaced. The wheel is about 1/4" to the right of centre. I figure I'll get used to it, but it is a bit of a pain. I haven't brought it to my dealer's attention as yet, but I think it's ridiculous of them to charge you to fix it. If the repair was done properly, the wheel should be straight.
Any tech-minded people know what's required to make an adjustment? Does the upper column need to be removed and replaced or is it as simple as loosening something in the assembly and just re-setting the wheel?

Old 03-20-2004, 09:11 PM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
The steering wheel was probably mis-aligned when installed on the new column. It is a fairly easy fix, but removing the steering wheel and the airbag can get a little tricky. I would leave this repair to the dealer.

Old 03-29-2004, 03:04 PM
Bluegarvis
3rd Gear
I have the same clicking sound though mine also has a tactile feel to it. The dealer is replacing both the steering column and the steering rack... hmmm.

Courious ot know the number of columns and/or racks replaced. This could have long term reliability impact...

Garth

Old 07-13-2005, 02:41 PM
jblow
4th Gear
What build dates were affected?

Old 07-13-2005, 02:46 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
We have a May 04 build and it had the steering click as well. The solution was to replace the column.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:54 PM
camelpilot
Banned
My steering wheel click started after some pri*k adjusted my steering wheel. Click drove me nuts, then I fiddled around with the Steering Column (up and down up and down etc) and the click went away.

The fact that dealerships replace steering columns to get rid of that click is just plain typical. There must be an easier fix. Thats equivalent to replacing the subframe because you have a wrong sized spring. If I owned BMW and MINI I would revoke alot of these dealership licenses and give them to tuners.

Old 07-13-2005, 03:48 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
I could feel the click in the steering wheel so I let the dealer handle it. I see your point about dealers because the first time I brought it in the dealer replaced the rack and pinion rack. I went to another dealer when the problem resurfaced(the colder weather made it click all the time but lessened whenever the weather warmed up) , and they replaced the steering column.

I drove almost 4k miles on after the replacement and no problems in cold or warm weather(as cold or warm as san francisco gets).

Old 09-13-2005, 02:31 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
the dreaded steering click

go to motoringfile and read up on this , the list goes on for quite a while. I started getting this at 58K. and went ballistic at MINIUSA about the problems that I've had with Zane:
7 windscreens
clutch and flywheel
complete wiring harness
steering rack and software sending unit
O rings at water pump mount
valve cover gasket
mount for oil filter
expansion tank for coolant overflow
2 horns

and now to discover that I was going to have to pony up $650 more for a steering column for a car which hadn't even reached 60 K.??????

with the full printout of my correspondance with MINIusa and a print out of the motoringfile topic, the service mgr. managed to get me the repair under some kind of " extenuating circumstances" good will gesture from corporate. Kudos to Gary King at MINI of Peabody for going to bat for me......again! this one time only good will thing is little known, but DOES exist, folks. Anyone needing a copy of my service papers for this need only PM me with a fax # . Jock

Old 09-15-2005, 04:16 PM
William Courant
2nd Gear
My 03 Cooper did the same thing. It's a common problem with the earlier Minis. My dealer lubed it several months ago and it hasn't returned as yet. They said if it did return they'd have to put a new column in.

Old 09-16-2005, 09:59 AM
lvbltec
2nd Gear
possible click noises

the click u guys are hearing is either the slip ring(clock spring rotary cuplar)
what ever u wanna call it, the lower support bearing, the u-joints the rack
the tires or the tie rod ends and possible but rare for a click could also be the upper strut mounts

Old 10-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Paulie
1st Gear
Steering Wheel Feels Loose

I have an '05 MCS (not sure of build date right now but it must be sometime in the Spring of '04 be/c I bought the car brand new in August '04) and lately I can FEEL what seems to be a loose, slight clunking feel to the wheel when turning into a parking space or even when I back out of my space in the morning to go to work (fairly sharp turns). I can feel it when I am navigating around the parking lot at work looking for a spot. I don't really notice it when driving or turning at normal speeds. It does seem to be getting worse, however. I will have to bring to the dealer soon, I think.

Anyone experience the kind of feel to the wheel I am describing??

Thanks.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:44 AM
lvbltec
2nd Gear
i would say that u should bring it in so that we can look at it sounds like a bad u-joint

Originally Posted by Paulie
I have an '05 MCS (not sure of build date right now but it must be sometime in the Spring of '04 be/c I bought the car brand new in August '04) and lately I can FEEL what seems to be a loose, slight clunking feel to the wheel when turning into a parking space or even when I back out of my space in the morning to go to work (fairly sharp turns). I can feel it when I am navigating around the parking lot at work looking for a spot. I don't really notice it when driving or turning at normal speeds. It does seem to be getting worse, however. I will have to bring to the dealer soon, I think.

Anyone experience the kind of feel to the wheel I am describing??

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Paulie
1st Gear
Yeah, it's getting worse. My service indicator has ~2500 mi left before my next service so I may wait and make one trip to the dealer be/c it's a bit of a ride. I have ~30,000 miles on the car so far.

Thanks for the input, lvbltec. Are you a MINI technician in CT?

~Paul

Originally Posted by lvbltec
i would say that u should bring it in so that we can look at it sounds like a bad u-joint

Old 10-11-2005, 09:51 AM
lvbltec
2nd Gear
yes

Originally Posted by Paulie
Yeah, it's getting worse. My service indicator has ~2500 mi left before my next service so I may wait and make one trip to the dealer be/c it's a bit of a ride. I have ~30,000 miles on the car so far.

Thanks for the input, lvbltec. Are you a MINI technician in CT?

~Paul

Old 10-13-2005, 06:58 AM
GaryA
1st Gear
I brought my 02 'S' in last week for the click in the column. I also had a leak that looked like power steering fluid. The service advisor said I needed a new rack.

When I brought it in for service they came to the conclusion the leak was a lower control arm bushing and the replaced it. I was told the rack was fine. I asked if the clicking noise was gone and got response. When I picked it up, after them having it for two days, I backed out of the parking space and still had the noise. I drove in and took the service advisor out to show him. When I got home I noticed that they had damaged my right front rim.

I brought it back in this week and they replaced the steering column and repaired the wheel. Another two day job because they did not order the column until the mechanic started to work on the car and determined I need one.

Based on the MINI forums, I new I needed a new column when I first made the appointment. But I have learned that that type of information is not well received by MINI service. They have to be the one to figure it out.

If they had been more receptive to my input, I would not have tied up their loaner car for four days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clicking Noise from Steering Wheel Column